Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-01-2011, 10:55 PM   #1321
Aquarium Advice Freak

Jitterbug! Jitterbug!

Old 10-02-2011, 02:51 AM   #1322
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok so I don't have pics yet. I'm exhausted and still have a few things yet to do. Still have to get fish into qt. Been long day, but I know they are okay in the bag next to me. Had a water issue for the qt tank, almost taken care of now. Just playing it safe. Salinity was too low.

So I got 3 turbo snails and 4 margarita's I think LOL, I'm fried.

I got an Encrusting Horn Coral and a Colored Brain Favia.

I got a Red Sea Star.

For fishies:

1 Purple Firefish woohoo
1 Spotted Cardinal Fish woohoo
1 Kaudern's Cardinal woohoo

All were on my wishlist at one time or another. The Firefish never let it though.

When talking with the guy at Drs.F&S, he said I can only get one more goby and I have a general idea which ones not to get cause the Purple and the others will fight. Can't have 2 purples either for same reason, evenually they will fight. He said only 2 goby's of different uhm species for same reason. I can get one wrasse :-( but the anthias get along with pretty much everyone . So I gotta dwindle down my wrasse (which I knew anyway cause I can't have that man fish).

The had the coral beauty, the flame angel, the midas blenny, this cool goby but I don't remember the name, wasn't on my list, various tangs, and he said the only tang I could get if any was the yellow.

They had the royal gramma, which was originally on my list too. Gosh today they just had so many. They had like 5 or 6 blue green chromis too, but I'll get the Blue later on.

So I'm officially a fishkeeper LOL. Been busy tonite. Gotta sleep and will get some pics on sometime tomorrow.

I need to chose between coral beauty and flame angel, I saw both today and I know they can't be together so I have to choose one. I do plan on getting the yellow tang later on.

The very last fish I get with be a pair of maroon clownfish (besides my mandarin in 8 months or so lol).

Course I still have a 55 gallon sitting empty in my bedroom so I can put coral beauty in one and flame in another I'm thinking, gotta research see if 55 is ok.

Gosh that Purple Firefish is just gorgeous and those turbo snails are HUGH!!!!!.

So anyone got anything to add to what I learned today bout the goby and stuff?

Also, I need empty shells in my tank. He mentioned I can put any shells in there for the snails to use. As all the shells came from the same place, just clean them up. (I still have a bunch from when I lived in Hawaii 30 years ago), he said I could use them. They have been in the same little old fishbowl for that whole 30 years and I just rinse the dust off every now and then lol. Any thoughts on that?

Whew all in all was a great day (though expensive again), flooding aside, and no light hung too.

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:08 AM   #1323
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to kurtyboh Send a message via Skype™ to kurtyboh
Ok, so how reef safe are coral beauties? i guess its each indivudual fish as always, bit ive always read to use caution in a reef tank
Old 10-02-2011, 04:09 AM   #1324
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh yeah and were dying for pics over here
Old 10-02-2011, 05:22 AM   #1325
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtyboh View Post
Ok, so how reef safe are coral beauties? i guess its each indivudual fish as always, bit ive always read to use caution in a reef tank
Not sure, but that's what I'm gonna read up on. When they say with caution I guess it's up to you whether you want to take chance or not of losing your corals. Some that say that are fine and others aren't from what I've read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtyboh View Post
Oh yeah and were dying for pics over here
I know. I just finally got the Firefish in QT, took me almost an hour to catch him and I ended up not catching him, I had to dump the majority of the water then with the little left, sink the bowl in the tank and dump him out that way.

I would have netted him if my net was small enough to fit in bowl. I just darkened the room for the night as soon as I got him in, he's kinda freaking out alittle, so the darkness will help settle him down.

Now I hope they all make it. Because they put the starfish in with the my firefish, he went into qt also. I'll acclimate him tomorrow afternoon to the main tank, don't want to change to fast on him may even just wait til the others are done qt'ing.

Guy at LFS said these only need to be qt'd for a week, 2 at the most. Uhmm I thought then need to be in there for 3-4???? Also, Is my filter going to take care of the poop? The cardinals went in better and they've pooped. With the bare tank I'm wondering about the ammonia and stuff killing them.

Also should I skip a day of feeding on these guys so that doesn't add to the chance of ammonia? I understand to feed like every other day but what about when in qt? Sorry so many questions LOL. Feel like a TOTAL newbie now. Almost like a new mommie

Help quick anyone know how to change a fishies diaper???? LMAO

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Old 10-02-2011, 05:45 AM   #1326
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Id sprinkle a little food in to see if they eat and sometimes it'll ease them too. Id just do more frequent water changes on the qt. With caution can also mean that the particular fish could just decide to make a snack out of your corals one day...its a coin toss

**edit** the immediate feeding attempt also gives you a slightly better idea as to how stressed he really is
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:10 AM   #1327
Aquarium Advice Addict

you have top on your qt right? cuz the firefish will look for little holes to jump out of..., in fact in my most recent book it says the frequently jomp out of the bags whill acclimating!

what ive been doing with my bare bottom qt is gravel vacuuming all the little bits daily into a bucket and i have a funnel over a filter to pour the water back in.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:54 PM   #1328
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I have kept dwarf angles for many years. The coral beauty is the safest of the angels for a reef, but they still can peck. My flame is okay, but he and the beauty fight sometimes. My black tail angel isn't reef safe, but my reef is big enough he doesn't do any real damage. My coral beauty is over 10 years old and pretty big, the flame is 8 years old. Angels are great fish, but most are not reef safe at all.

The firefish is a accurate jumper. I have a purple one that killed my plain firefish, so they are very territorial with each other. He also fought with my royal gramma (because of the purple coloration).
Old 10-02-2011, 05:40 PM   #1329
Aquarium Advice Addict

Why did he say you could only have a yellow tang? I would think a Kole or TwoSpot Bristletooth would be a better option, but I haven't really looked all throughout this thread.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:25 PM   #1330
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenturtle View Post
Why did he say you could only have a yellow tang? I would think a Kole or TwoSpot Bristletooth would be a better option, but I haven't really looked all throughout this thread.
Because of tank size.

Tags
build, reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com