Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-02-2011, 06:33 PM   #1331
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy

Because of tank size.
But Kole Tangs and Two Spot Bristletooth Tangs need LESS tank size, not more. Both can even live in 75 gallons, and a Kole Tang is in QT to go in my 90 gallon reef.

Old 10-02-2011, 06:36 PM   #1332
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yellow Tangs need 125 gallons minimum

Old 10-02-2011, 06:36 PM   #1333
Aquarium Advice Addict

Pictures finally

Sorry took so long, I ended up crashing and burning, then had to mow the front yard before I got a ticket LOL.

So here are some pictures of my new tenants. I have issues with taking pictures of anything with this camera anymore so please bare with the quality.

Got 3 Turbo Snails and I thought 4 Margaritas . Later I'll post for help with my snails.

My Colored Favia Brain Coral, then is my Encrusting Horn Coral, then Mr. Redstir (LOL) my Red Sea Star. Coming next is my fishies

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:44 PM   #1334
Aquarium Advice Addict

More Pictures

Ok here are a few more. I really need to learn how to take pictures of fish.

First is my baby...My Purple Firefish.. (need suggestions for a name on him, I do want him to have one), then it's my Kaudern's Cardinal, Then my Spotted Cardinal, I couldn't get him alone because after trying to get pictures all were blurry (15 shots of him and all were blurry lol). Slow mover and still. Then the last picture is my qt tank with all off them and shows the set up. (LOL you can see my reef coming off the glass in the picture like a mirror)

Whatcha think?

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Old 10-02-2011, 06:47 PM   #1335
Aquarium Advice Addict

So there you have it, my first official fish as a fishkeeper. WOOHOO!!!!!

I bought frozen food, I have some Marine Flakes that came with something I bought, can I use that to feed the fish with?

Also should I go ahead and try to move Mr. Redstir to my dt or leave him in the qt? They had him and my firefish together in one bag, I didn't know how to separate so I could acclimate them to the 2 tanks.

Then how long should I qt for? The 1-2 weeks as the guy said or the 3-4 as seems to be the normal length? Also what do I look for while they are in qt? Thanks ya'll WOOHOO I got fishies. Sorry still so excited about my little guys.

Old 10-02-2011, 06:49 PM   #1336
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy
Ok here are a few more. I really need to learn how to take pictures of fish.

First is my baby...My Purple Firefish.. (need suggestions for a name on him, I do want him to have one), then it's my Kaudern's Cardinal, Then my Spotted Cardinal, I couldn't get him alone because after trying to get pictures all were blurry (15 shots of him and all were blurry lol). Slow mover and still. Then the last picture is my qt tank with all off them and shows the set up. (LOL you can see my reef coming off the glass in the picture like a mirror)

Whatcha think?
You're cardinal is awesome! I just picked a pair of Kauderns up today and they are drip acclimating to the DT now. My LFS QTs them 2 weeks before sale, plus I have a majorly stressed out Kole Tang in my QT at the moment.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:50 PM   #1337
Aquarium Advice Addict

Flakes can cloud up the water, I would use the frozen food
Old 10-02-2011, 08:48 PM   #1338
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks, I got mine from Drs. Foster & Smith but I still wanted to qt and not take the chance. Their fish and corals are more expensive than their website Live Aquaria and Divers Den. When I was talking to him, I asked why I couldn't get the website price and he said those or prices only for the web, inside store is different. So since that's the case, I'm not going up to buy any livestock or anything until I call and place an order. If I end up with free shipping, then I'll have them ship but if not, I'll just call a day or two ahead and tell them when I'll be up and they will have my order ready.

I paid the extra this last time because I really wanted to get fish yesterday, even with all the flooding and stuff going on.

I'm not gonna be able to hang my light from the ceiling. So I gotta go back through my thread and see everyone's suggestions. I was up in the crawl space last night and it's 1. not safe, 2. very chinsey, 3. a long way to crawl with everything I would need to put a brace between the joists, & 4. I shouldn't say crawl, because it's not, I have to do the crab walk, hands and feet, shift 22 inches or so to the next 2x4, I went bout 5 feet and was worn out trying to hold myself up, ended up hanging like a monkey because of the way they did the rafters and that wore me out fast but if I let go, I knew I'd me on my carpet in the hall way fast. They have 1 sheet of drywall attached to 2 x4's then insulation. Joists are going one direction with no braces in between. Only one going length of the house is the one dead center.

So now I'm thinking I should just get the hanger that looks like two arms and attach it to the wall. Don't know if I can squeeze my hand and screw driver in to attach to wall though. I have 8" between wall and tank. Any suggestions?

Only other thing, I guess is I could always undo everything and move my tank but I still don't trust those rafters, 2" wood is not much to work with splitting even with predrilling as I'm afraid of the lowering and raising would weaken it at that point.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:46 PM   #1339
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to kurtyboh Send a message via Skype™ to kurtyboh
the 2x4 rafter will hold a lot more weight than your ceiling. stud grade is something like 2200lbs over 10 ft... each so you're certainly not going to weaken it enough to cause irreparable damage with a couple of holes and your light fixture.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:48 AM   #1340
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thumbs up Support AA

I'm thinking that I will be joining AA on a paid basis soon. This is an awesome site, very useful and very friendly. Looks like I'll be on here indefinitely soooo why not give them support so they can keep up this fantastic site.

From what I understand AA is supposed to help you get your "life back" and get things in order, well I can only say, that it is in fact doing that but it is also allowing me to rarely sleep again LOL

Hats off to AA Drinks are on me...alcohol and alcohol free

Thanks everyone. So far so good, fishies look good, no heavy breathing, spots or scraping yet. No worms or icky thing protruding from any parts of their bodies so far either. , Both corals, opened right up when I put them in the tank and have been doing good. Only the Elegance or and my Orange Polyps close up "at night when the lights go out" to sleep I guess LOL. Which is something I dearly need.

Tags
build, reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com