Buffy's 1st Ever SW Build - Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ammonia Test Results

I'm having a hard time deciding where there is. Anyone wanna tell me what you think? I'll give my answer after I get yours, I don't want to influence.

I've tried taking pictures (with my phone) to get as close to the colors I was seeing with my naked eye. 1 movement on my part and all the colors changed (And I shake). I couldn't put it on any counters for a picture, the colors on the CAMERA didn't match what I saw no matter where I put it. Best I could do. :hide:

Thanks everyone.

Thanks everyone. In holding the vile vs the pictures, I pretty close to 4ppm maybe a tad darker but not to the 8. So I'm thinking that since I believe I hit 5 ppm I am now officially cycling. Test was done at 9:07 this am.

Or did I actually start cycling when I 1st put ammonia in? Or is there something I will see next to tell me I have started cycling?

One more question, how often should test now? I believe I need to let the ammonia go to 1 ppm and then add again til I get 5-6 again is that correct?

Oops sorry so many questions.

Yep, I test in the AM and added ammonia as needed. You should probably get some results in a few days since you have live rock in there too. My first tank cycled in less than a week with LR and ammonia dosing. :)

Off topic: Hope everyone had a good 4th. I did.

I went fishing on a small fishing boat my daughter and I bought together. 2nd time out. Our schedules don't mess very well. Well needless to say, I have to learn everything. So we are learning together. Neither of us has ever done this with the motor, 1st time out we only had trolling motor. BUT WE SURVIVED!!!!! I'm slowly getting my "sea legs". She caught 3 Northern Pike and I caught 2 Northern Pike. We kept the last one (I caught it-25") Largest was 34" that she caught. OMG we had major adrenaline highs. I think alot people laughed, hearing us scream jump, back up and try to pull these into the boat and the first one jumped out of net back into water. They got TEETH. Anyway, I fileted my first northern last night too. YUK!!!!!!!!!!!! but I did it. (No I didn't touch it, I used needle nose to hold it, and it was dead when I started).

So I had alot of firsts yesterday :-0

1st time driving boat (hold hit dock once trying to leave, got it stuck too), motor kept stalling--wish I was in on the "quick learning lesson" in my garage earlier....We didn't open the gas air line LMAO

1st Northern Catch
1st Northern cleaning and filet
1st time backing boat into my garage (trunk of my truck is scrapped up), was watching where but forgot to watch trunk-it was open. Daughter forgot to watch it too lol.) Took 25 minutes this time, last time I backed a trailer in my driveway it took 3 hours.

1st pull over by DNR - And last but not least, on our way back we got stopped by the DNR (fish police). Showed our license, got a hard time (they were funning around), scared crap out of daughter said one of us had to go to jail cause we didn't have a fire extinguisher on board. I think she almost peed her pants til she realized they were joking. I was stunned but then saw the smirk and please for a fire extinguisher so I volunteered LOL. She told me on way home she thought they were serious and was hoping I would volunteer LMAO.

Ok done. Enough off topic, sorry, but was AWESOME day and SOOOOOO much fun, I just had to share.

Soo awesome day!!!

What no pics lol Sounds like it was just what you needed some down time, good for you

I'm glad you had a great day! I played world of warcraft all weekend on my computer. LOL

I've been wanting to play that but didn't want to pay the monthly fee. I play Guild Wars and Diablo. LOL

Live rock is back in tank. I just put them on top, no clue what to do with them. Glad I did because as I set them on I found other rock kinda loose. Gotta fix that. When it clears up again (I smoothed the sand in spots) I will take pics and you guys can give me some ideas. Please? These were gonna go on the bottom cause they are heavy. Even when I broke the one down, the 3 individual pieces are heavy. You'll see they are solid, not porous. That bad?

What no pics lol Sounds like it was just what you needed some down time, good for you

Whatcha mean no pics. I posted of my pretty rock, which you liked LOL AND of my ammonia :)

More pics soon though need input.

@Grizz oops maybe you mean of the fish I caught lmao, sorry. My daughter has them on her phone. I took a couple during my fileting (or should I say butchering). I was gonna ask her to send me some when she gets off work. Didn't think I should post them in a Aquarium Forum lol.

I've been wanting to play that but didn't want to pay the monthly fee. I play Guild Wars and Diablo. LOL

Live rock is back in tank. I just put them on top, no clue what to do with them. Glad I did because as I set them on I found other rock kinda loose. Gotta fix that. When it clears up again (I smoothed the sand in spots) I will take pics and you guys can give me some ideas. Please? These were gonna go on the bottom cause they are heavy. Even when I broke the one down, the 3 individual pieces are heavy. You'll see they are solid, not porous. That bad?

The more dense rock that I have I hid underneath, it's not as pretty as the porous reefcleaners rock. Porous and light is always good, it has more surface area for bacterial propagation.

I play WOW like 24/7 and this forum the rest of my time. I have 10 toons and they are all 85 and geared very well ;-)

Awesome, I don't play much during summer. Alot during winter.

So I'm guessing it would be best to move my rock around and put these under like I planned originally?

Uggg. LOL. That gonna affect my "cycling"?

New Tank Pic

Here's a new pic with the live rock just set in. Still a little cloudy but, it's the top five across the top. Big one in middle. Next Big on right, the back of that is reminds me of a brain, if it wasn't for the one side I'd say it was just a rock. Then the other 3 was the 1 that I broke after finding all the creepy crawlies.

I make collums out of my rock then stack more rock on top i creates lots of caves over hangs and spots to put coral in

Back
Top Bottom