Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-10-2011, 02:10 PM   #1391
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
So I am getting ready to take my Fluval out and clean it up. I got the out carbon and the media bags I bought and found that the media bag is 12" x 15" and only one. Dang I didn't read. What can I do instead?

Also I'm thinking about taking out one biomedia tray and putting filter floss in it so I will have 2 carbon 1 biomedia and 1 filterfloss. That good? or should I have 1 carbon, 2 biomedia and 1 filterfloss?

Lastly - anyone have a link on orange colony polyps and elegance coral dealing with health and habits and how to tell if they are dying?
Bump....................

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 02:11 PM   #1392
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I like the latter, 1 carbon. 2 biomedia and the one filter floss.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:43 PM   #1393
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
I like the latter, 1 carbon. 2 biomedia and the one filter floss.

Kewl, but now how do I put the carbon in the tray. Uhmm the bag I have is just a tad too big at 12" x 15". What can I use in place of it?

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Old 10-10-2011, 02:47 PM   #1394
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I use small bags of fluval carbon, I can fit 2 of them, one for each side.Did you pick up any smaller media bags? Are you filling a bag with carbon yourself or is it prepackaged?
Old 10-10-2011, 03:08 PM   #1395
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
I use small bags of fluval carbon, I can fit 2 of them, one for each side.Did you pick up any smaller media bags? Are you filling a bag with carbon yourself or is it prepackaged?
I bought a container of it (40 oz). No, I thought I did but I didn't read the package close enough til today and so I didn't get little bags. I'm running to get script filled so I'm gonna stop at that expensive hardware store and buy some small bags, cause I don't have anything that I can use and I don't think it would be a good idea to put it in loose.

Any chance you have any links on the polyps and elegance? I've already been through wetwebmedia.

Elegance isn't as bushy as it normally is and I can barely see the polyps, they have been closed over for about 4 days now (I can see 5 of them but I thought there were more). Coco worm is doing great and so are the Encrusting Horn and Favia Brain. And all snails (that I can find lol), shrimp and crabs are good too.

Thanks

Old 10-10-2011, 03:14 PM   #1396
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I just have the regular reference sites for the corals. :-( have you moved the elegance lately or is it where it first put when you got it? I kept my elegance on the sandbed and it used to do really well there.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:46 PM   #1397
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy

I bought a container of it (40 oz). No, I thought I did but I didn't read the package close enough til today and so I didn't get little bags. I'm running to get script filled so I'm gonna stop at that expensive hardware store and buy some small bags, cause I don't have anything that I can use and I don't think it would be a good idea to put it in loose.

Any chance you have any links on the polyps and elegance? I've already been through wetwebmedia.

Elegance isn't as bushy as it normally is and I can barely see the polyps, they have been closed over for about 4 days now (I can see 5 of them but I thought there were more). Coco worm is doing great and so are the Encrusting Horn and Favia Brain. And all snails (that I can find lol), shrimp and crabs are good too.

Thanks
Be sure to rinse the carbon in the bag with RO water until it appears clear. Elegance can be a pain to keep.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:09 PM   #1398
Aquarium Advice Addict

I moved the Elegance awhile ago cause the flow was making him sway really far to one side. He is in the sand bed. He was doing peachy where he is, now his tentacles are up but not like they were, about half and he doesn't take up the whole spot like he was. He doesn't look damaged from crabs or anything.

I plan on using tank water to rinse everything til it runs clear, then I will rinse a couple times with RO. I need to conserve, been splurging way too much.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:30 PM   #1399
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy
I moved the Elegance awhile ago cause the flow was making him sway really far to one side. He is in the sand bed. He was doing peachy where he is, now his tentacles are up but not like they were, about half and he doesn't take up the whole spot like he was. He doesn't look damaged from crabs or anything.

I plan on using tank water to rinse everything til it runs clear, then I will rinse a couple times with RO. I need to conserve, been splurging way too much.
That will work fine, but use clean water. Or tank water since that is going to circulate thru the carbon anyway. Just don't release the dust into the tank. Some of that stuff is loaded.

The elegance may just be adjusting. They tend to squeeze themselves out now and again. If he stays small, reposition him as he is telling you he is not happy.

Breaking up the flow pattern in the tank can really help. There are cheap nozzles that spin that can go on the outflow or power head. I love them as they spread the flow around in a random pattern when using more than one. Some corals don't like a constant flow from one direction. As I have mentioned before, I use a cheap powerstrip that alternates one Korellia fan, then another at the tanks opposite end, creating a surge effect in my tank, for pennies.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:25 PM   #1400
Aquarium Advice Addict

I shifted my elegance a little bit. I thought I read they were telling me they weren't happy. Just before he decided not to expand I had adjusted my power heads, so I adjusted some more just a little and will wait a day or so and see how he does. If not then I'll adjust the power heads again alittle, til I find where he likes it.

When I do my pwc, the water from the tank goes into a brute. Normally I dump it but since I'm gonna do the filter, I saved it and gonna rinse in the bucket.

I am planning on finding something for the pumps to rotate them on/off.

Tags
build, reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com