Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-25-2011, 09:14 PM   #1451
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X
indo elegance are very hard to keep. some say impossible.
Any good elegance? Was actually looking to get one...

Old 10-25-2011, 09:19 PM   #1452
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
aussie elegance have been doing well in closed systems.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:31 PM   #1453
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X
aussie elegance have been doing well in closed systems.
Thank you, sir...
Old 10-25-2011, 10:16 PM   #1454
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Direct quote from Liveaquaria...

"The Catalaphyllia Elegance Coral is moderate to maintain in the reef aquarium and makes an excellent choice for the beginner to expert hobbyist."

Shows why the forum has value....

I have had mixed results with them, although I may have had a "Aussie" type. I googled "Aussie elegance coral" and there is a wealth of info on them.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:20 PM   #1455
Aquarium Advice Addict

all i'm saying is - times are tough. the economy is crap. that statement goes against everything i've learned in my short time buying and selling and keeping.

the aussie ones will be small and you will be able to notice the skeleton has been cut. it's been fragged from a large one. also, they are less colorful than the indo ones. there's that..and the price tag, of course.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:23 PM   #1456
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I am agreeing with you. The interesting thing I noted in looking at Aussie elegance is their resistance to disease, but they have to travel sooo far.
Is anyone cultivating them domestically?

I had an elegance for over 2 years...but then eventually it started to fail. Not very long life for a coral.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:27 PM   #1457
Aquarium Advice Addict

i would not want to frag something like that. think of a wall hammer or a bubble coral. they totally freak me out when fragging. i guess it's just like all the rest but i don't like cutting through what i can't see.
that's the reason i think. i'm going to import some aussie stuff after the new year and then we'll see what's what. back to buffy's tank!
Old 10-27-2011, 02:10 PM   #1458
Aquarium Advice Addict

Update....long, eyes may need rest :-)

Don't worry bout the chit chat. I'm still learning you know . I don't think my elegance is a goner though Mr. X. Least not from the shrimp. It (the elegance) still appears to be doing well. I may move it over a little bit or turn it some tonite as I think the tentacles are a little to close to the rock.

So far all my "live stock", I've gotten from Drs. Foster & Smith, before I realized it was kinda separate from Diver's Den and Live Aquaria.

I read I should be feeding it though?

My coco worm is doing good, but he confuses me. He looks to be well, but at the moment he's not expanded as has been. I think he's moody like me hehehe cause Doesn't matter lights on or off, he expands when he wants to. He will expand completely when in the dark or light. Right now he's about half of his full expansion. Any given time he will expand fully. Most of the time he is out and expanded. He does scoot back in pretty dang fast if you accidently drop the lid down. Now my daughter (27 years old) has to struggle not to raise and drop the lid on purpose LOL.

Favia Brain and Encrusted Horn also appear well, however the Encrusted Horn has something growing on it's "underside". My first thought was bubble algae the way it was "puffed and round", but last night when lights were out, the 2 "bubbles" look more like 2 snails on top of each, with magnifiying glass kinda resembles a tube/fan worm or something.

I gotta get my light hung. I have a clip from a heater that fell in behind the rock and I can't reach and my "floating" magnet is stuck back there too. Guess I cleaned to close to the rocks LOL.

I can't take my lights off and put them back on the tank anymore because one of the legs plastic lip decided to crack and doesn't support that particular corner very well anymore (sags in on the leg now) and am afraid it's gonna crack and the lights come down on tank.

Phosphate reactor is unplugged til I can get the lights off. It's stopped working about a week after I got it. The valve is wide open and the gfo does not tumble at all.

Have a new phone, gotta set it up with laptop before I can take pics. Gonna try in a few. Regular camera is poo.

Crap, is long again. Maybe I should try to get on computer more often.

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:57 PM   #1459
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to kurtyboh Send a message via Skype™ to kurtyboh
no need to worry about not getting on here more often... you have fish to take care of!
Old 10-27-2011, 08:50 PM   #1460
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtyboh View Post
no need to worry about not getting on here more often... you have fish to take care of!
LOL, I have a lot more than that.

I finally got my lag screw in the ceiling....WOOHOO!!!!!!! Now if I can only figure out the plans I had for my light when I bought the stuff. I knew I should have drawn a picture.

All these pieces and I gotta sort it out like a puzzle since I don't remember how I was going to do this.

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
build, reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com