Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-27-2011, 12:30 PM   #141
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
Do you have the proper water pressure? I keep my garden hose fully on and get at least 5g an hour. Sometimes its more but I can't carry the jugs so I stop at 5g. lol
I believe so. I timed it. When I first start it takes 7 and 1/2 minutes to make 2 quarts, which is bout 4 gal an hour. Then I timed it again as it's flow is down and it took 23 minutes and 40 sec to get 2 quarts. I don't even want to time it now as it is just dripping. And I mean drip drip drip. At this rate I believe I'd be down to 2 quarts in an hour.

I changed to a different faucet thinking my new faucet was bad. Nope same thing. City water. I don't know what the pressure is but I know that without RO and I turn water on....if I turn on too much it splashes all over LOL.

I've research the makings of faucets, my drains, reconnected every dang fitting I have and even JerryRigged a couple and still the same.

I'm thinking bout a booster pump but dang it I know I don't need one just to get "enough" pressure maybe eventually to increase efficiency.

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:37 PM   #142
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Hmm that does seem slow. How is your unit postioned? Is it on it's side or staight up? Not sure if that could account for the slow water making....

Old 06-27-2011, 12:45 PM   #143
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
Hmm that does seem slow. How is your unit postioned? Is it on it's side or staight up? Not sure if that could account for the slow water making....

Straight up. I laid it horizontal just to see and no change in flow, but I put it back cause I don't want channeling and I know that the flow DOWN is the best for compacting and removing impurities.

We make di water at work (anion, cation and mixed beds) regeneration and all that stuff. So I have a little understanding on the system. Of course our little 10" canister doesn't compare to the 10 foot high tanks we use. We installed an RO unit on the end and it has 6 stages I believe with a pump that has 250 lb discharge pressure and believe it or not, it makes 50 gallons per minute permeate and 150 gallons per minute waste. Now I know that it is industrial but the principals are the same and similar set up.

So only thing I can think of is removing all the tubing and making sure that after the flow gets going that it doesn't slow down due to some resin or something plugging. So far I am disappointed in my RO. Definitely has not been a plug and play.

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Old 06-27-2011, 12:48 PM   #144
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'm so sorry it hasn't been working out for you. :-( I had zero issues with mine. You got the one from ebay right that alot of us bought?
Old 06-27-2011, 01:32 PM   #145
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes

I've tried hooking it up to 3 different faucets, replaced a faucet so it had hot and cold seperate.

Fits on 2 of the 3 faucets. But pressure is same thoughout house. City Water.

I read somewhere last night or should I say bout 3am that I could go to the water main and adjust pressure. I didn't want to do that cause it should be sufficient. I'm gonna go down in basement and look at water main, check it out and see if I could boost pressure.

BRB with my conclusions from basement.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:41 PM   #146
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Have you tried a garden hose hookup yet? Just as a test? i don't have killer water pressure inside my house but the hose hook up is quite powerful.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:58 PM   #147
Aquarium Advice Addict

Gonna do that next. Just got off phone with water company to find out what the output of the pressure regulator is. It's not labeled.

I should have no problems though because my underground sprinkler works just fine which is T'ed off from the runs to the rest of the house. No leaks down there either. Water temp is 68degF out of faucet.

Gonna run a test on the garden hook up, but I can't do that in winter.

I got so many adapters to fit everything except kitchen faucet and tub lol.

I really wanted to dedicated the "extra" 1/2 bath to this too. Sorry I am just getting so friggen frustrated with this water thing. On the bright side, least I have a new faucet in one bath, and found drain leaks under 3 of 4 sinks to fix before they get too bad. (Guess I should look under sinks more LOL)

Old 06-27-2011, 02:01 PM   #148
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Way to look on the bright side.

if the hose connection works better then you might need a booster for the sink flow. At least it's summer right, you can make all the water for all your tanks before the weather gets bad. lol

I wonder if anyone else had the same issue with theirs?

Speak up folks, we need to know!! hehehe
Old 06-27-2011, 02:15 PM   #149
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well I put 15 gallons in my tank. Took out live rock. Put that in 10Gal Brute covered with RO/DI Water.

Put a circ pump in tank below water level. Water not high enough for power filter, grrr. I have to Carbon filters in my power filter now, I have room for 2 more media. Should I use my other 2 carbon filters and make it 4 to help get rid of debris and stuff initially? There are 2 compartments and each compartment holds 2. I have 1 in each "side" right now.

Rinsed rest of sand and put in. Now I'd like to see so I can move it around.

Rock is rinsed and sitting out on deck.

Need to put the black sand in AND THEN start the rock scaping.
I need to rinse the black sand too don't I?

I repositioned my heater to the back of the tank, center of glass and horizontal. That ok?

Grr been off for 4 days and feel like I'm in circles and going no where. Been trying to get this going so much, that I've forgot to pay my bills!!!!!!

Old 06-27-2011, 02:19 PM   #150
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
Way to look on the bright side.

if the hose connection works better then you might need a booster for the sink flow. At least it's summer right, you can make all the water for all your tanks before the weather gets bad. lol

I wonder if anyone else had the same issue with theirs?

Speak up folks, we need to know!! hehehe
Im no plumbing expert but the pressure coming out depends on the facets you have installed .. we switched all ours thoughout house couple years ago to save on consumption.. tends to be more beneficial on showerheads but that could be a factor...

Tags
build, reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com