Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-27-2011, 02:22 PM   #151
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy
Well I put 15 gallons in my tank. Took out live rock. Put that in 10Gal Brute covered with RO/DI Water.

Put a circ pump in tank below water level. Water not high enough for power filter, grrr. I have to Carbon filters in my power filter now, I have room for 2 more media. Should I use my other 2 carbon filters and make it 4 to help get rid of debris and stuff initially? There are 2 compartments and each compartment holds 2. I have 1 in each "side" right now.

Rinsed rest of sand and put in. Now I'd like to see so I can move it around.

Rock is rinsed and sitting out on deck.

Need to put the black sand in AND THEN start the rock scaping.
I need to rinse the black sand too don't I?

I repositioned my heater to the back of the tank, center of glass and horizontal. That ok?

Grr been off for 4 days and feel like I'm in circles and going no where. Been trying to get this going so much, that I've forgot to pay my bills!!!!!!
I have my heater that way works out fine for me..

Old 06-27-2011, 02:25 PM   #152
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I would rinse the sand, save yourself some cloudiness LOL

The heater is fine that way.

It sounds like you are getting somewhere, but to you I bet it seems like you are going backwards sometimes. hehe I think youre making progress. And would love to see some pics later of how far you get today.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:50 PM   #153
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

It sounds like low pressure to me. The water pressure forces flow thru the RO membranes and if there isn't good pressure, it will just drip. It isn't going to be fast even when working properly unless you bought a big unit. The total pressure at the faucet should equal the water pressure in your lines unless a pressure reducer was installed.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:53 PM   #154
Aquarium Advice Addict

It is another expense but you can look into getting a booster pump to help this out. Something like this could help: Aquarium Water | Reverse Osmosis | RODI Water | ReefKeeper Water | Booster Pump System Power Station for Reefkeepers.

You may be able to find something cheaper than 120 on ebay.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:42 PM   #155
Aquarium Advice Addict

Uggg

Thanks everyone, yes I'm VERY frustrated.

I talked to water company. My area has high water pressure, we do have to have a pressure reducer in the house (it is located at the main cutoff valve). However, they said I have enough pressure to run the RO/DI without a booster pump.

I hate plumbing.

The outside pressure faucet would be greater because of it just being a valve. Where as as someone stated, faucets have alot to do with it. Especially since the faucets these days ARE made to reduce water usage. GRRR (Like the toilets they make now, which don't even flush paper).

I have 4 sinks in my house. 3 had the same faucet style. I'd replaced all kitchen plumbing last year (grrrrrrrrr and the dang garbage disposal too).

I hate plumbing.

Now I've replaced the faucet in one of the bathrooms (new supply lines too). I have the adapter I could have put there, but I don't want to squeeze under sink with the 32Gal Brute in the way.

I hate plumbing.

Just got done trying to use the garden hose style (yes I made my own) didn't work............YET. I don't have "the" adapter for it and the one I made (thanks to not throwing away parts when you run over a garden hose with a snowblower LOL). However, the threads don't quite match. I did get a trickle through BUT more was coming out the threads and I wasn't about to turn the water on full blast and blow the thing off like a rocket sooooooo off to the hardware store I go to buy more stuff.

I hate plumbing.

Off topic - On a lighter note, my 4 year old granddaughter should be done with her nap in a half hour so I'm gonna pick her up do some shopping with her (promised her walmart and a tiera yesterday) and take her to dinner. Don't know if I'm gonna have her spend nite yet. She loves her grandma thissssssssss muchhhhhhhhhhh And that will make my frustrations go bye bye for abit. (Well til I sit down and scramble to pay bills that are late and cry over my checkbook LOL)

Oh last thing..........Did I say "I hate plumbing?"

LOL

@Carey----here's where I'm at right now. Gone backwards for now but soon to go forward I HOPE.

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:51 PM   #156
Aquarium Advice Addict

My DIY pump

Here's my maxi-jet 1100, rigged to attach my garden hose and pump from my RO Tank to my Aquarium. At least this works like a charm. (garden hose use is temporary til I get tubing that is safer). Hose was brand new and never used except for this so hopefully it'll be okay for a short time.

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Old 06-27-2011, 03:53 PM   #157
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Youre definitely getting somewhere. This is generally the time I get most excited with my builds cause its where the action really happens.

Sounds like a nice night planned, do the grandkids know they are getting a fish tank yet? You did buy some for them didnt you on your grande shopping trip at petco?
Old 06-27-2011, 03:54 PM   #158
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
Here's my maxi-jet 1100, rigged to attach my garden hose and pump from my RO Tank to my Aquarium. At least this works like a charm. (garden hose use is temporary til I get tubing that is safer). Hose was brand new and never used except for this so hopefully it'll be okay for a short time.

WOW! See, I could never be that creative. I can't think outside the box sometimes.....lol
Old 06-27-2011, 04:11 PM   #159
Aquarium Advice Addict

Buffy, if you want to use that HOB with what water you have in the tank wrap the motor in a baggie place a pane of glass (i use a pic frame glass8x10) in the tank and hang the HOB from that kinda like a baffle except leaning on back of glass

PS i like monkeys
Old 06-27-2011, 11:59 PM   #160
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
Buffy, if you want to use that HOB with what water you have in the tank wrap the motor in a baggie place a pane of glass (i use a pic frame glass8x10) in the tank and hang the HOB from that kinda like a baffle except leaning on back of glass

PS i like monkeys

Am brain dead, I read this 11 or 12 times and I still can't picture it. LOL

Tags
build, reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com