Buffy's 1st Ever SW Build - Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yup:)Yup:), I've run out of money and still need lights, sump, stand and few other things. I'm no good at diy either, that's why I'm still struggling with just making water. LOL

The most expensive things :D lol

Yes, true. Lights - T5HO is all I know so far. Sump - I have 20G I want to use. Can't use it yet as I've no place to put it. Was looking at building a stand but I don't want the headache.

Ammonia between 4-8 ppm.

So how long before the Ammonia starts dropping?

Buffy said:
Ammonia between 4-8 ppm.

So how long before the Ammonia starts dropping?

Its will be a few days like carey said Id give it a good five days before u start seeing nitrites raise once those cap and start droping as your nitrates go up it will be fast after that...

i dunno why but nitrates seem to drop overnight to zero maybe it just seems that way lol

Buffy said:
Yes, true. Lights - T5HO is all I know so far. Sump - I have 20G I want to use. Can't use it yet as I've no place to put it. Was looking at building a stand but I don't want the headache.

I would look at getting the aquaticlife t5s with the built in timers and moon lights you can't get any more set and forget then those..plus they run off one cord so no messy wires everywhere..

hackteck said:
i dunno why but nitrates seem to drop overnight to zero maybe it just seems that way lol

That's the way I've always experienced it.. once they hit their peak its always fast .. a good 50% water change to drop nitrates and start stocking...

It looks ok, actually it seems pretty cheap. lol You've got to watch out for those ebay lights though. some come from China and aren't UL listed. But looks about what you'd want. The only downside is it doesnt have individual reflectors for the bulbs and the included bulbs are probably not the best. But thats a topic for another day!

Hanging from a sloped ceiling is no different. Use a couple eyehooks and gravity takes care of the rest, its not gonna hang at an angle

Hanging from a sloped ceiling is no different. Use a couple eyehooks and gravity takes care of the rest, its not gonna hang at an angle

True, I understand that. I just didn't want to measure and drill and all that stuff up there. (I can always get my ladder back from my daughter to make the reach). I still have 3 sinks to fix after this RO/DI mess lol. Alot of DIY stuff is creeping up and I just don't want to try to do it all, I'm not a handywoman. Ends up costing me more than if I just bought, cause of all the screw-ups and redo's. Bad enough I gotta try to figure out how to make a sump and then of course make it LOL.

Hey Buffy, I have those kind of legs you are talking about. They are adjustable and have brackets on each end that slide in and out. Then the nylon screw pressures your tank glass for a secure fit.

At least the one I bought did. Not sure about the ones linked, you'd have to email and ask.

I bought this light fixture:
NEW 48

It is a nice fixture, adjustable, and looks great. However, it is 4 bulbs and I'm not sure of the quality of the bulbs. I'm going to replace the bulbs with a reputed brand before I go corals.

Also, the sump really is not hard. Just make sure you can find a place that can cut glass or acryllic for you. This was the hardest part for me and I just ended up using separate plastic containers connected with pvc pipe because there isn't a place around here that cuts glass and I don't have the tools.

The plumping is the confusing part ;)

scottayy said:
Hey Buffy, I have those kind of legs you are talking about. They are adjustable and have brackets on each end that slide in and out. Then the nylon screw pressures your tank glass for a secure fit.

At least the one I bought did. Not sure about the ones linked, you'd have to email and ask.

NEW 48

It is a nice fixture, adjustable, and looks great. However, it is 4 bulbs and I'm not sure of the quality of the bulbs. I'm going to replace the bulbs with a reputed brand before I go corals.

Also, the sump really is not hard. Just make sure you can find a place that can cut glass or acryllic for you. This was the hardest part for me and I just ended up using separate plastic containers connected with pvc pipe because there isn't a place around here that cuts glass and I don't have the tools.

I believe lowes and homedepot both cut glass..

NEW 48

Would you mind posting a picture of a close up of it attached to your tank?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom