Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-23-2011, 08:39 PM   #1671
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to kurtyboh Send a message via Skype™ to kurtyboh
I would advise scooping most of your sand out and putting it in buckets, using newspaper or paper towels to keep your lr wet longer isnt a bad idea either

Old 12-23-2011, 08:42 PM   #1672
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtyboh
Yes itcan handle the weight if there are no stress points, but no matter how careful whomever is moving the tank will twist a bit as one corner is lifted higher/faster and that can and more than likely will crack a tank.
No matter how many stress points there are as long as glass where the stress point is can hold the weight, it won't crack. The only way it would crack is if 50lbs of sand is at one point of the glass. I moved my 5g recently with the sand and rock and it didn't crack. It's the sorta same thing but on a larger scale.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:51 PM   #1673
Aquarium Advice Addict

Moving a 75gal is in a different world than movung a 5. Youre suggesting that the glass is somehow 15x as strong, even though its not 15xs as thick. Small tanks are overengineered by necessity as glass as thin as would be comparable would be more expensive to make... Look at the thickness of the glass on your 5gal its the same thickness as tanks up to 30
Old 12-23-2011, 09:54 PM   #1674
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Moving a 75gal is in a different world than movung a 5. Youre suggesting that the glass is somehow 15x as strong, even though its not 15xs as thick. Small tanks are overengineered by necessity as glass as thin as would be comparable would be more expensive to make... Look at the thickness of the glass on your 5gal its the same thickness as tanks up to 30
It's actually acrylic. 1/8". But besides that like I said earlier no matter how many stress points there are as long as glass where the stress point is can hold the weight, it won't crack. The only way it would crack is if 50lbs of sand is at one point of the glass which is extremely unlikely to happen.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:09 PM   #1675
Aquarium Advice Addict

Glass cracks when streesed... So why wouldnt i crack if theres glass where theres stress?
Old 12-23-2011, 10:21 PM   #1676
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Glass cracks when streesed... So why wouldnt i crack if theres glass where theres stress?
It won't crack if there isn't enough stress. Push on an empty tank's bottom while someone holds it. Depending on the size of the tank. For example lets say a 30g tank. A 30g tank is designed to hold around 450lbs. So divide by 5 because of how many glass panels there are. Thatll be 90lbs per panel. If you were to push with a force of 80lbs on one spot it wouldn't crack. But if you were to push another 30lbs on another spot it will probably crack because it's being exerted on with more than it can handle
Old 12-23-2011, 10:43 PM   #1677
Aquarium Advice Addict

Interesting conversation. Lol. I am emptying everything into the 50 except maybe the sand. I don't have anyone to help except to help me move the EMPTY 75 out of the way. Everything will be in the 55 for a day or two, maybe more, it depends on how long it will take me to make a brace in the crawlspace with all that insulation to hang my light better. The stand won't be in the exact same spot, it will be about 4 more inches from the wall if I like it there because that will make 12 inches from wall to the back of the tank and 12 inches from the wall to the left side of the tank. I am not sure yet cause I may put the rock against the glass, two of my fish hang out there and I don't get to see them.

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:48 PM   #1678
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ibraham what your experiment would show is if even oressure is applied nothing about the twisting stress that would be involved in picking up a tank that large with multiple people.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:12 AM   #1679
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Ibraham what your experiment would show is if even oressure is applied nothing about the twisting stress that would be involved in picking up a tank that large with multiple people.
It wouldn't make a difference if the tank was slanted since the glass isnt being warped or changing thickness.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:25 AM   #1680
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not just slanted twisted theres no way to lift the tank with equal pressure across all four corners, thats twisting, which is where the problem lies. Many times the tank wont fail immediately but a few months down the road... Do a search and nobody will agree to move a tank that large with stuff in it.

Tags
build, reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com