Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-31-2011, 05:53 PM   #1711
Aquarium Advice Addict

AquaClear Disaster

Today I learned a hard lesson......Make sure you have the right cover's on your pumps. I fed my fish and didn't see my Kaurdern's Cardinal and the I noticed no flow (ripples) from the AquaClear so I looked in with my flashlight and there was a crab in there. I unplugged the pump and out came the crab AND my Peppermint Shrimp which I haven't seen in days and noticed something else. Took it out and looks to be a small part of my Kaudern's Cardinal.

I fed 2 days ago and he was there eating. Well he became food for the Peppermint and crab. Both Peppermint Shimp and Crab actually are ok so far. I'm surprised with what was left of the cardinal that the shrimp wasn't smushed in as he was covered by the crab.

The crab plopped out so to speak and the Shrimp took his sweet time crawling out.

I can't find any more of the "filter" covers and I should have at one more. So I replaced it with my Evolution 750 which is what I should have done in the first place.

I didn't think that big thing could fit in there but found out that's not the case.

Everybody else appears ok, except for one of the new polyps, I moved him to another qt cause he looked like he was losing alot of fleshy parts.

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:25 PM   #1712
Aquarium Advice Addict

ATI Bulbs and LED's ordered

So I placed an order yesterday with Marine Depot. It was in my opinion a large order. I thought maybe they'd give me a discount but they didn't. I emailed them and asked about that.

I ordered:

1 - 15 pack of Reef Discs
1 - Bob Smith Ind BSI Cyanoacrylate IC-Gel Aquarium Frag Glue -20 gram
1 - ATI 48" 54W Aquablue Special
1 - ATI 48" 54W Blue Plus
2 - Ecoxotic Stunner LED Polished Reflectors
1 - Ecoxotic 4-Way Splitter w/switches
1 - Ecoxotic 48" Stunner 24W 12000K White/445nm Royal Blue LED Strip
1 - Ecoxotic 48" Stunner 24W Magenta/12000K White LED Strip
1 - Ecoxotic 24V Wall Transformer for Stunner LEDs & Panorama Pro

I was thinking of replacing 2 of the bulbs that came with my light with the Aquablue Special and Blue plus. That would leave me with 2 actinics and 1 purple and 3 white (the white and 2 actinics came with the fixture. the 3 actinic broke and was replaced with the purple).

So on one switch would be the Aquablue Special, the Blue Plus, 1 stock white and the purple. On the other switch would be the 2 actinics.

Then 1 led strip in front and 1 led strip in back of the fixture. Any thoughts on this. Should I arrange the lights differently, put both led's in front or in back? Thoughts????

My fixture is a 6 bulb fixture, with 4 bulbs on 1 switch and 2 bulbs on the other switch.

Any help would be fantastic.

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Old 01-04-2012, 05:46 PM   #1713
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I think that's a matter of personal preference Buffy. So you will only have 2 T5 HO lamps and the rest will be stunner strips? I don't think they support corals. I hear they are just for looks. If i'm reading this right, i think you are decreasing light output.

scratch that. i see you are adding them. I would swap out the blue plus with the actinic and the special with a daylight.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:25 PM   #1714
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X
I think that's a matter of personal preference Buffy. So you will only have 2 T5 HO lamps and the rest will be stunner strips? I don't think they support corals. I hear they are just for looks. If i'm reading this right, i think you are decreasing light output.

scratch that. i see you are adding them. I would swap out the blue plus with the actinic and the special with a daylight.
What he said...the stunners are for decoration only. That's only 48 watts of LED, at best equivalent to 60-80 watts of florescent light.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:22 PM   #1715
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post

Yep adding them. I'm trying to increase for the corals.

I realize led's are for my viewing for the most part.

So the 6 bulb fixture.

On the 4 bulb on/off switch:

1 Blue Plus
1 AquaBlue Special
2 stock daylights:

On 2 2 bulb on/off switch:

1 Actinic
1 Purple

That right?

Old 01-04-2012, 08:25 PM   #1716
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
What he said...the stunners are for decoration only. That's only 48 watts of LED, at best equivalent to 60-80 watts of florescent light.

FYI, I don't understand the watt stuff, so I was going with Kelvin ratings. Just trying to increase to give the corals what they need.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:59 PM   #1717
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
Yep adding them. I'm trying to increase for the corals.

I realize led's are for my viewing for the most part.

So the 6 bulb fixture.

On the 4 bulb on/off switch:

1 Blue Plus
1 AquaBlue Special
2 stock daylights:

On 2 2 bulb on/off switch:

1 Actinic
1 Purple

That right?

Would this be ok for the corals?

Old 01-04-2012, 10:31 PM   #1718
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy

FYI, I don't understand the watt stuff, so I was going with Kelvin ratings. Just trying to increase to give the corals what they need.
Those will be good colors for viewing just fine. The corals don't need 14K, they just look a lot better. These LEDs just don't have enough "punch" for optimum coral growth, or there aren't enough of them. They will look great.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:17 AM   #1719
Aquarium Advice Addict

By request..

Off topic for a short time. I changed my Avatar for a short time. I have only 2 photos more recent than this. I don't do pictures. On that note....

In this photo is my 1st Granddaughter (I have 4 now) who is now gonna be 7 and my dog Casper (I have Bailey now). He passed away shortly after this photo and this was the last Christmas I "celebrated". He passed away on 1/2/06 in my arms. (Vet assisted if you know what I mean). It was difficult to show happiness here and ever since. The months from Oct til spring are the worst and they suck and remain that way.

Since then I've had red hair/black hair/hmmm almost purple hair lol for a number of years, but now am back to blonde (my normal color) so the silver can come in and not be so noticable hahaha. My hair is now straight also (that was a perm).

Per your request Dary, you can see the "girl" (old hag lol) who climbs/hates plumbing/bikes/operates a power plant with a bunch of $$#'@/struggles with tank and gets so dang frustrated. Maybe because I'm a natual blonde is why I get to do all the struggled, blondes aren't meant to have smarts. Dang I need with white out on this screen to fix my booboos.

Back on topic, hopefully will be getting the 75 gal back on the stand sometime later today. Depending on the time, I'm gonna try to get all the rock and stuff moved back from the 55 to the 75.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:08 PM   #1720
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Thank you Buffy .., nice to see who you're talking to.

Tags
build, reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com