Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-28-2011, 01:57 PM   #171
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quick question - how do I make any pieces smaller or flatter, I don't want to smash them but I may need some flatter ones from the looks of them for "shelves"?

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:01 PM   #172
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I've had to bust up a few pieces but not to make flatter ones. I asked last time I ordered for some flat pieces and I got a few. I wouldnt worry too much about creating flat pieces for corals, you will be sticking them in nooks and crannies as you go, at least thats what i do. LOL

Old 06-28-2011, 02:21 PM   #173
Aquarium Advice Addict

To me the flat rocks look odd 'Man Made' if you will. You can chip away some of the rock to flatten it,(hammer and screwdriver) were eye protection i scratched my cornia (sp) once drove me nuts felt like there was something in my eye for 3 weeks
Save any rubble as you'll find a use for it
For color i put pics of the fish i wanted on the back wall of my tank while it cycled my friends asked me are you drinking the water? lol
Old 06-28-2011, 02:58 PM   #174
Aquarium Advice Addict

@Grizz, that's funny lol. But hey I like the idea.

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Old 06-28-2011, 03:15 PM   #175
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's been 7 yrs and i still have the pic of a hippo tang in the upper right corner Promised myself Nothing that was'nt captive bread. Come on ORA im still waiting hehe Even looks real

Old 06-28-2011, 03:19 PM   #176
Aquarium Advice Addict

Obstacle number (lost track), Lighting fixture help pleaseee

I bought this.

The legs that hold it on the tank don't fit right. Doesn't matter if screws are on outside or inside for this fixture. The width of the legs is 1 3/8". My Rim is 1 3/8" including inside lip. The fixture won't rest on the ledge because it isn't wide enough. Also only half the screw contacts the rim, not stable to me, should be full contact. When they were made, the 1 3/8" should be the inside measurement to accomodate the rim. So, is this a defect? I can't "spread" the legs (no pun intended lol) to fit over the rim because it's not flexible and would break. Also when I do set it on my tank, with light the lamp fixture is too short by bout 1/4" or so. I.E. Left side flush, right side is "inside" the tank and vicea versa. Enough that I'm scared that if my dog or grandkids run, the light fixture will fall in. If I center the light on the legs, then the leg ends are outside of the fixture and not "clicked" in.

I have vaulted ceilings and no I do not want open another can of worm to drill my ceiling and hang it. I got enough worms as it is that I could fish the pacific ocean. I like the feature of lifting it back.

Help please. I need this to be sturdy.

Thanks

Old 06-28-2011, 03:22 PM   #177
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

is this fixture for your 75 sw? You are going reef with it right?

Also, that light takes a special kind of bulb i believe, so you can't upgrade them and the ones that do fit aren't sw type bulbs....

Not to rain on your parade, I'm sorry....
Old 06-28-2011, 03:38 PM   #178
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yup Return it if it dont work dont chance it. if can happen it will.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:40 PM   #179
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
is this fixture for your 75 sw? You are going reef with it right?

Also, that light takes a special kind of bulb i believe, so you can't upgrade them and the ones that do fit aren't sw type bulbs....

Not to rain on your parade, I'm sorry....

Huh?????? Now I'm gonna cry, honestly are you serious?

Yes for my 75 Gal. Brand is Zoo Med and says to use with (6 different bulbs, but holds 2) so I bought 2 bulbs......a Zoo Med's T5 HO 54W Coral Sun Actinic 420 ("for optimum viewing pleasure of live fish and corals") and a Zoo Med's T5 HO Ocean Sun 10,000K ("for a more subdued "deepwater" tank effect").

No where on any of the 3 boxes does it say no saltwater, nor in the instructions sheet.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:40 PM   #180
Aquarium Advice Addict

too late crying. dang dang dang.

Tags
build, reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com