Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-22-2012, 04:53 PM   #1801
Aquarium Advice Freak

She dont have them in the tank that is cycling. Im sure itll be a really mild cycle. I would just be doing daily pwc on the bucket. It probably wont be more than a couple days.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:40 PM   #1802
Aquarium Advice Addict

Water Chemicals

Livestock still in bucket with it's tank water. circulation pump and heater.

pH of RO/DI was 7.5. 75G tank before transfer 8.3, after transfer same 8.3, Salinity 35ppt tem 79.5

QT tanks (2 of them) pH 8.2 on both, temp 79.8 and 80.1, Salinity on 1 is 39 and another is 40.

Salinity on 75G is 35 and on 10gal is 41. I have no clue how these got like this, I'm glad everyone is good, I'm trying to adjust them to get them where they belong, but I have no clue how the salinity's went up sooooo much.

On my 75 and 10 gal, my pH readings were inconsistent.

75gal - 8.4, 8.2, then down to 7.8 (all today within a short time).
10gal - consistently 8.0, then 7.1, then 7.6 and stays there.

I calibrated my pH tester and it reads what it is supposed to during calibration.

My refractometer is acting weird too, one time the salinity level line and up is all blue like it should be and the next time it could be like that again, or a blue "hue" in the middle, say between 35ppt and 45ppt it's blue and the closer to 45ppt the less blue and above 45ishppt it's white.

Any suggestion, I've calibrated the refractometer also. I don't want to increase or decrease anything til I find the true numbers, as I said everyone is doing good. If these numbers are right then the 10G is gonna be used longer because any changes I make has to be small and slow.

I'm lost. Why would my pH change like that so much and lastly if I add pH Buffer would it adjust it too fast. (I have API proper pH 8.2).

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:21 PM   #1803
Aquarium Advice Addict

Did you top off with saltwater? Thats all I can think of other than evaporation.
needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:04 AM   #1804
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, I did, crap that means the salinity is accumulative. Would that mess up the pH also then?

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Old 01-23-2012, 09:38 AM   #1805
Aquarium Advice Addict

It could I'm not sure. I would keep doing pwc and filling with freshwater in small increments and test the ph then.
needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:37 PM   #1806
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorecowbell View Post
It could I'm not sure. I would keep doing pwc and filling with freshwater in small increments and test the ph then.
Am on it, after I googled different ways, I found that's what it is. I found a "guide" to slowly change the salinity also, but I'll wait and I'm sure the PWC's will take care of that. Geeeeeeez how dumb could I have been, I know to top off with plain RO/DI. The way my brain has been though, I more than likely forgot that I put salt in.

Well this time I didn't put any salt in. I think I'm gonna buy another container or use one of my 10g's when I'm done. Use the 10g for top off only and still mix in my 32 for pwc's.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:14 PM   #1807
Aquarium Advice Addict

Broken Glass in Tank

My glass thermometer broke when I accidentally hit it with a rock. No livestock in tank. 150 pounds rock and 130 pounds sand.

Unless someone has some ideas, I'll be taking it all out again. Rinse and brush everything off, make new saltwater and go through cycle, or should I buy new sand? It'd be safer to buy new but oh jeeezzzzzzz.

Should I set up a 10 or 20 gallon first and get my all livestock in there, instead of this bucket. I wish I had lights for these guys. 48" is rather long for a 10 or 20 gallon.

This is friggin pissing me off. I have other things I have to do instead of draining, refilling, transferring, wash rinse repeat repeat constantly!!!!!!!

I hate when dreams become nightmares instead.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:38 PM   #1808
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I had a thermometer break on me before. It should be just alcohol inside . It didn't make a difference in my fish only tank not sure about corals though.
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:25 PM   #1809
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I don't think thermometers have mercury in them anymore. Was the line that tells the temperature silver in color (that would be mercury)? If it was red, that's just alcohol and would not harm anything in the concentration it presents. Be careful to collect the glass so you don't get cut.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:07 AM   #1810
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm not concerned about Mercury. I'm concerned about the glass in the substrate and livestock getting injured.

I vacuumed the area really good and took out 95% of the water. Making new water now. Gotta order more salt soon.

Tags
build, reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com