Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-22-2012, 11:13 AM   #1981
Aquarium Advice Addict

Blue Tuxedo Urchin

Small update and a couple pics.

So do these Urchins always look like they are a trash can?

The next picture is of the two black "blobs", they are getting bigger and it looks like they are killing the coral on the rock.

I have 2 corals that didn't make it, I have to go back and look at the pictures to identify which ones. One of them had alot of polyps and the other not so many. The snails, crabs and Fire Shrimp are all over the place.

I put a turkey baster in to see if I could get rid of some of the hair algae on the Urchin and to try to "blow or suck" off those blobs. I even tried to push (scrape) them off with the turkey baster, I swear they are like the song, Stuck Like Glue Baby Baby, I'm Stuck On You. LOL.

Been working alot, haven't been on much. Come the end of April beginning of May I will be working 20 days in a row, gonna be a bear to keep up with just the top off's and pwc's. Everyone other time, I flood cause I forget to turn the faucet off cause I fell asleep. Funny thing, I have bought the level thing a ma bobber and don't have enough brains and umph when I get home to install it.

I've been active when riding, I pick up my new bike Friday, I can't wait, cause when I'm done riding, I am filled with energy, and I will get the basics out of the way lickity split.

When's the group buy start? Anyone know? (Carey? LOL) Also what happened to the friend on line/offline list?

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:14 PM   #1982
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Group buy is set for this upcoming tuesday. if you want in send me your info.

Glad youre feeling well and the tank is doing well.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:33 AM   #1983
Aquarium Advice Addict

Talking Major Update

for me anyway. Since I finally have some of my rock back in the tank, I'm putting the sand back in (I am taking pictures at various points), question is:

Should I start a new thread with a rebuild?

Also the 2 pictures of the "black mysterious blobs" were/are sponges. Are they safe? I actually tried getting them off as I said earlier and they are justa thriving and getting bigger, I hope they don't kill the coral with them.

I have an ATI Purple Plus and ATI Aqua Blue Special and 2 Truelumens 12KK Power White. The two Truelumens have turned "yellow" or at least I just noticed that.

I'm going to toss the 12KK Truelumen's out and replace them, what would be good to replace them with? They will turn on at the same time as the purple and aqua blue specials?

So Should I start a new thread????

Any input/thoughts/imho's totally welcome. Though if you do answer (as far as lighting) please give me your reasons, it will help me to understand lighting more.

As always all for following and giving me so much fantastic help.
Getting late so here is a picture of my new aquascape. And then there's...dum dum dum dum Jaw's AHHHHHHHHHH run for your lives....whoops swim for your lives!!!!!

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Old 03-27-2012, 11:30 AM   #1984
Aquarium Advice Addict

wow everything looks great!! do you like your emperor filter? sponges are absolutely fine, they are filter feeders. its great that it survived and is doing so well!
needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:15 PM   #1985
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Buffy, that rockwork looks amazing! I wish i could get something like that done in my tanks. Superb!
Old 03-28-2012, 12:15 AM   #1986
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks , whacha think of my Jaws slo mo clips hehehe.

We still have one week for the group buy right?

For those out there who have an eshopps overflow to sump. About what size return pump would I be looking at?

Old 03-28-2012, 03:32 PM   #1987
Aquarium Advice Addict

i am using a mag 5 and its great once you get it tuned in. i only have 3 ft of head pressure though.
needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:42 AM   #1988
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorecowbell View Post
wow everything looks great!! do you like your emperor filter? sponges are absolutely fine, they are filter feeders. its great that it survived and is doing so well!

Sorry forgot to answer your question, now I understand why I have empty answers LOL.

Yes I do like it. Right now it's sitting on the 20G with filter floss and carbon (I think) I forgot. I know filter floss is in there.

Still working on rinsing and putting the sand in. I haven't decided how deep I'm going yet. Right now I'm mixing sand with what I had. I didn't want to get the rest of it out when I realized I forgot the sand LOL. Besides if it was ALL sand then I think it would get too packed down. Don't know how much I'm gonna mix (definitely more sand than crushed coral for the bottom layer, but I do want to do a layer of crushed coral and then another layer of sand. Jeez sounds a little like lasagna.

It'll all get mixed around anyway

Gotta get, Gotta get, Gotta get get get going. Alarm goes of in 2 1/2 hours. I swear there is just not enough hours in the day.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:43 AM   #1989
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorecowbell View Post
i am using a mag 5 and its great once you get it tuned in. i only have 3 ft of head pressure though.
Thanks I'll check it out.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:28 AM   #1990
Aquarium Advice Addict

Update w/video

Well, I have one corner of my rockwork giving me a few problems, as soon as I can get it then I'm going to finish filling with water and cycle the tank.

I noticed my Acropora had RTN, so I did a quick frag last night. They did spew their slimy stuff around a little bit, and I fed too so that's the stuff floating. I had issues with a few other things also but they I've decided to leave in the tank. And in the back you can see I have a 2nd mushroom growing

My Urchin is cleaned up, I plucked the green hair algae off him, ewwwwwww.

Here's a video I took last night, (I fell asleep while it was uploading). I'm not experienced at all in this so don't rip on me too much for the lack of quality.

Tags
build, reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com