Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-07-2011, 09:48 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

No idea. but any amount is bad, and count on it that your tap water has it in it, because it does. RO/DI water is what you have to do, unless you want to pay 25 cents a gallon at a dispensary

Old 06-07-2011, 11:10 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonkey View Post
No idea. but any amount is bad, and count on it that your tap water has it in it, because it does. RO/DI water is what you have to do, unless you want to pay 25 cents a gallon at a dispensary
Not a chance on that one, am getting an ro/di soon, got so many other things to do too, sump, overflow, lighting and many more I'm sure. Trying to figure out how to do what i need to and not lug ANY water as I have to use step stool (see stool next to stand in pic) to do anything in my tank as I'm too short LOL. Am turning my extra 1/4 bath into Tank prep room (not big enough for quarantine tank though-gotta figure that out too) and use pump and run hose when needed to tank. Gonna use the cold water line that goes to the toilet as incoming water. (Removing toilet and plugging/covering hole somehow).

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:50 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

you want to plumb the rodi from the toilet line to the tank?
toilet water line ---> RODI unit ---> tank?
Old 06-08-2011, 04:27 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Water Chemistry.
6/3/11 Date water, rock, sand, and salt added. No water conditoner for chlorine and stuff.
1st test---6/3/11 4pm; temp-83; ph (didn't test); sal 1.024; NO2-0; NO3-0; Amm-0
2nd test---6/7/11 1:52am; temp-82; ph-84; sal 1.029; NO2-0; NO3-20ppm; Amm-0

Anyone want to tell me what these results mean?

Does this mean my tank cycled and I didn't know it? Also still no water condtion for tap water added. I bought some today from Petco--Aqueon Water Conditioner-neutralize chlorine and chloramines in tap water and aids in restoring a fish's natural slime coat (don't have fish yet). Should I use this conditioner or no?

Thanks for your input and I realize input is opinion....so all opninions welcome......IMHO lol

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Old 06-08-2011, 12:08 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Your tank won't cycle until you get the chlorine treated. You should always treat your water before adding salt if your using tap water. The chlorine is killing all the bacteria your tank needs to cycle.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:38 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

I added the Water Conditoner according to the directions. How will I know if it worked or is working? Bottle says instantly neutralizes. But don't know if that is the case since my water has salt already.

Says it should be used when filling for first time, refillling water due to evap, making water changes and adding fish, so I assume this means it doesn't matter that I have salt in my tank? I'm hoping I can get by without draining right now Already filled/drained for leak checks. Then when I do a water change I will treat in a container first, mix salt, heat then add to tank. Can I use one container for doing all that or do I need seperate containers?

Wish the saleman would have told me I needed to do this ahead of time when I first bought my initial stuff.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:46 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I treat my water in between emptying and filling. I take out say 30g, then add the dechlorinator to the tank, based on the whole tank, not just the 30g. Then I add my water and done.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:06 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well hopefully all the little critters on the rocks weren't killed due to the chlorine and chloramine. But if they were they may kick start your ammonia cycle. If not add a piece of raw shrimp and you should be on your way. Since you used all tap water I'd keep an eye on your phosphates. With such high phosphates and your ammonia spike coming up i'd worry about an Algae bloom. Maybe keep lights off during cycle and definately use RO water for PWC. It saved me a load of trouble. All the best.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:15 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wouldn't doubt they were all killed. I'm going to Foster & Smith for more rock and sand tomorrow and buy all that I need (I don't want to add rock and sand later). Before bed tonite, I will be writing the process down for soaking it, how long, then when and how to add to tank. Posted another thread with the questions for sand and rock, please add your input so I can get it tomorrow as with my work schedule I won't be able to go again for another week and a half. Hence buying tomorrow and tinkering around after work each day.

Thanks again.

Old 06-08-2011, 03:24 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
I treat my water in between emptying and filling. I take out say 30g, then add the dechlorinator to the tank, based on the whole tank, not just the 30g. Then I add my water and done.
When you say you add dechlorinator to the tank, does your tank already have salt and livestock in it?

Also, this is throwing me off. I have 75 gal tank. Don't know how much rock and sand I will end up with BUT doesn't all the rock and sand displace the water so now you don't really have 75 gallons????

Do you know of some kind of meter I can attach somewhere that tells me how many gallons I've removed and how many I added, so I can change equal amounts?

Thanks for all your help too!!!!!!!!! How you do the rep thing? +1? if so then I give ya infinite +'s.

I like this forum, it's up to date, active and very friendly. Soo much time lost on research on other sites that just confused me. Never gonna get frustrated and quit cause I like the challenge and looking forward to the end results in a few years. But there was too much info everywhere and different ways that just confused me. Here I feel I can ask dumb questions. Am learning alot though I've not yet able to piece it all together yet.

Tags
build, reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com