Buffy's 1st Ever SW Build - Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do you have a link for these led's? cause I've never seen an LED fixture for that price, you cant even get a marineland reef ready led light fixture for that price almost.

Do you have a link for these led's? cause I've never seen an LED fixture for that price, you cant even get a marineland reef ready led light fixture for that price almost and they are totally inadequate. lol

Carey, it is what I use on my reef, you have seen the pics and video. Made in China is the worse part, but they are reliable, or have been for me and I have bought 10 panels from them. Considering importing more.
I am sure there are much nicer fixtures available, but these were perfect for me. I buy them several at a time and get a small discount. When I checked just now they have gone up 50 bucks since I bought last.

200 watt, $350 free shipping

http://cgi.ebay.com/200W-Aquarium-C...250?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f0bc089f2

120 watt, $260 free shipping

http://cgi.ebay.com/120-Watt-Aquari...123?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item2c5c86c0fb

Don't much care. ;-) They work for me. Been on for over a year. I don't own stock in the company, but I am an engineer with more than a little technical experience. Sorry if MrX had a bad experience with them. Mine has been quite the opposite. Make sure you weren't referring to the other low power panels sold as coral lighting.

I used metal halide for 15 years, then tried compact florescent (had a terrible time with them as they didn't penetrate my deep tank well at all). The LEDs aren't perfect, but I like them fine. Grows the coral I keep. Not trying to be controversial, but simply adding my experience of over 30 years at this hobby.

Thanks for the input on the led's I had to find a calculator to convert the size lol. They are about 17" x 11" x 3". So then for 75 gal tank, would need 2 correct?

Tonite's Test Results

pH - 8.0
Ammonia - <.25 ppm
Nitrite - > 5ppm
Nitrate - 20 ppm

Off Topic - My baby boy Bailey isn't feeling good :-(. He got up to walk and he was very wobbly and could barely hold himself up. I got him to the door and he slowly laid down. I grabbed a blanket and a pillow and laid down beside him. He's potty trained but when he laid down, he poo'ed. I coaxed him into drinking some water by rubbing a piece of ice across his mouth, well then he drank almost the whole bowl then tossed some back up. We're going to sleep out on the deck tonite in the fresh air. My back is killing me from all the moving of stuff tonite, and I'm gonna have an awful hard time getting up off the deck but you know what.... My baby boy is my bestest friend and I need to be by his side.

Sorry, had to vent. I lost one dog to cancer when he was only 5 1/2 years old. This one is about that age now too. So nite all.

Sorry to hear about Bailey, I know the feeling. I had to put down my first dog at only 2.5 years due to kidney failure. it still breaks my heart and it was years and years ago. :-(

I hope he feels better and in turn that you do too!

My german shedder daisy and I wish you the best never a good thing when the pups not doing well...

Thanks, all. He is doing better now, hopefully was just something he might have got ahold of outside and it didn't sit good with him or a "24 hour bug" cause other than be a little lazier than normal he appears ok. Whew, scared the crap out me last night.

So glad to hear it! Now you can continue with your fish tank mission! LOL

True...sorta. I found out yesterday that I need a new roof. So that's gonna put a damper on things. No way I can do a new roof yet. Last night it stormed pretty good too, more shingles lifted now.

Well they say when it rains-it pours, well I think I'm finally past the swell.

Still chugging along. Got all the fish tanks rinsed, dried and put in the spare room yesterday. Still tossing the sump around in my head.

Not dosing ammonia again yet, hoping I can get my hands in the tank long enough to move all the rock around. Only 2 cuts left to heal woohoo.

Going to top off tank now. Supposed to get to 91 deg so I may have to close up house and put on the air. DRATS.

So I just got my TDS meter. I'm getting a 001 ppm reading, but i suspect that's from the cup i put the ro/di water in to test it.

When is it time to replace the ro/di filter? what ppm?

When you start noticing a rise in your readings then the resin is starting to go bad. I don't recall what the number is to stay below though.

At work we regenerate the resin but we have other readings and such we go by, like conductivty and silica. We use acid and caustic to regen the beds but with home RO's you just go by the TDS.

Since I had my DI replaced I won't be able to see the change, but if you have the clear DI canister you should be able to see the resins change and become darker in color along with the higher readings.

Hope that helps.

That helps a lot :)
So there are two replaceable parts? The filter/cartridge for RO and the DI resin?
Edit| Sorry, don't mean to hijack your thread! Really glad your doggie is well. I have a pug :) I love the little bugger.

That helps a lot :)
So there are two replaceable parts? The filter/cartridge for RO and the DI resin?
Edit| Sorry, don't mean to hijack your thread! Really glad your doggie is well. I have a pug :) I love the little bugger.

Yes. I believe I saw where you can buy "bulk" for the resin. But whatever you do....when you change the resin DON'T SPILL!!!! You will slip on your butt and hurt something. The little beads are real slippery if there are enough on the floor. Honestly take my word for it, I've slipped on it at work (course it was more quantity than home) but the amount in that resin canister would make for a disaster in a small area.

Back
Top Bottom