Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-19-2012, 01:08 AM   #2071
Aquarium Advice Addict

pics

Here's the pics of my mess. Gotta get 'er done cause I am being overrun with brown algae, stringy stuff that is all over.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-05-18_21-11-30_427.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	200.8 KB
ID:	95535   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-05-18_21-11-46_290.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	95536  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-05-18_21-12-01_878.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	95537   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-05-18_21-12-15_776.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	189.8 KB
ID:	95538  

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:40 AM   #2072
Aquarium Advice Addict

Very nice! Ive heard great things about the reef octopus, I'm sure it will help a ton!

needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:39 PM   #2073
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorecowbell View Post
Very nice! Ive heard great things about the reef octopus, I'm sure it will help a ton!
Thanks, I just don't think everything will fit and serve it's purpose also.

I'm still procrastinating cause I don't see how I can do a refugium with the stuff in there now. No baffles are done because of that too.

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Old 05-22-2012, 05:37 PM   #2074
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
How much room do you need to cram the skimmer and the filter sock together? Measure that (it doesn't matter if it looks cramped, just as long as the pump on the skimmer is able to access water and not obstructed, and you are able to access the filter sock), then figure how much room you need to fit that mag drive in the return area, measure that, then figure what you have left. This is your refugium area, if you have enough space.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:43 PM   #2075
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X
How much room do you need to cram the skimmer and the filter sock together? Measure that (it doesn't matter if it looks cramped, just as long as the pump on the skimmer is able to access water and not obstructed, and you are able to access the filter sock), then figure how much room you need to fit that mag drive in the return area, measure that, then figure what you have left. This is your refugium area, if you have enough space.
Don't forget your bubble trap too if you have one!
Old 05-22-2012, 05:44 PM   #2076
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
right, right.....and a couple inches for the bubble trap before the return.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:18 PM   #2077
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Buffy.., the way I see it thru your photos ,..I agree with mr.x ... Section one which will hold the protein skimmer and filter socks does not need a lot of room,..just so you can remove the socks for cleaning and can safely reinstall them without banging around the skimmer than you should be fine..... Silicone in first pane of glass .....save the middle section ( refugium ) for later,....the far section #3 ,..also doesn't require a lot of room either,...as long as you can access your mag pump for cleaning etc you'll be fine,..so now you can start siliconing in two or three panes of glass for your bubble trap next to your return pump,.. what ever is left over in the middle is your refugium...it should take only three or four panes of glass to complete ...
Old 05-23-2012, 12:41 AM   #2078
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks everyone. The skimmer takes alot of room, I can barely fit the filter sock in there with it. I thought I'd put 2 sets of bubble trap. One on each side of refugium to make up the walls. The piece closest to the skimmer be raised off the bottom with the next piece touching the bottom and just the opposite on the return pump end.

I'm not crazy about the directions that came with the skimmer, I'm gonna look it up on U-tube because I'm not able to picture the way it works nor the rubber hoses and the end pipe.

How are the pods going to make it though the sponge on the end of the mag drive and go to the display tank? Or am I supposed to take off the sponge?

Some people have built a little shelf to put their pump or whatever on. Do I need to do that too?

See I had it set up thinking the water would come in through the filter sock on the right, flow through the refugium, then to the skimmer section and out the return.

Thanks for helping me out with the daunting task.

Oh one more question....Does anyone elses snails decide they would bunch up at the top of the tank out of the water and 2 of them were on the rim (they snuck up through the egg crate) and looked like they were gonna start down the outside (suicide snails)? Everyday, I have to "push" them off the top of the glass back into the water before they make it out of the tank.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:00 AM   #2079
Aquarium Advice Addict

My nerites do that. Some of mine are hardcore though. I saw one on the other side of the room... It was dead needless to say.
needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:48 PM   #2080
Aquarium Advice Addict

In my opinion, for what it is worth, I would put the return pump in the middle with the refugium on the end. Put a bubble trap between the skimmer section and return pump but only one baffle between the fuge and return section. Then, plumb a Tee with a ball valve off of your return pump to feed the refugium. This way you can control the amount of flow through the fuge and slow it down. With the fuge in the middle, all the flow goes through it. Since the flow from the fuge is low with nothing to create bubbles, a bubble trap is not needed there saving money and valuable space.

Tags
build, reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com