Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-29-2011, 01:19 AM   #201
Aquarium Advice Addict

@Carey - I put a thread out to id a hitchhiker, can you go look and see if you know what it is please? I have that in a seperate bucket til I find out, but it's one of the heavyier rocks that'd I'd like to place toward bottom.

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:20 AM   #202
Aquarium Advice Freak

You can use that light fixture on the 55g you bought if you are going to make it a freshwater tank. I had problems figuring out how to secure it to my 55 it works well with the screws on the outside had it the other way around till I figured that out.

rain87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:28 AM   #203
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
Off topic - Any recommendations of where to look for a BASIC lizard tank for a little boy, am gonna use one of the 10 gallon tanks I got.
It depends on what reptile you get. I would suggest picking the reptile then finding out what it needs. A leopard gecko is what I would recomend.

Quote:
Off topic - Tomorrow, I'm taking my other granddaughter shopping (6 years old) to finish her tank. Freshwater. Any good links to look at for her. Want basic also, good hearty fish so mama doesn't have alot to do, needs low maintenance.
You could start another thread in the freshwater section for help or suggestions as to what to do. Even with a tank that size their are a lot of options. Really low maintenance would be to just make it a betta tank. You could do a small school of a small schooling fish like neon tetras or something. like I said though starting another thread for suggestions would give you more ideas than you would know what to do with.

PS I am now following. I have done a few different freshwater tanks over the years and when I am established somewhere (currently in college) I want to do a nice saltwater reef/fish tank. Figure I should start learning now so thanks for sharing your frustrations and successes!
Old 06-29-2011, 03:53 AM   #204
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain87 View Post
It depends on what reptile you get. I would suggest picking the reptile then finding out what it needs. A leopard gecko is what I would recomend.

You could start another thread in the freshwater section for help or suggestions as to what to do. Even with a tank that size their are a lot of options. Really low maintenance would be to just make it a betta tank. You could do a small school of a small schooling fish like neon tetras or something. like I said though starting another thread for suggestions would give you more ideas than you would know what to do with.

I'm returning the lights tomorrow too. I'll look for something else when I really need them. Thanks

PS I am now following. I have done a few different freshwater tanks over the years and when I am established somewhere (currently in college) I want to do a nice saltwater reef/fish tank. Figure I should start learning now so thanks for sharing your frustrations and successes!
Thanks for the input. Enjoy following, after I do my blurting from my frustrations I calm down and keep plugging away LOL.

The mom of the "lizard" tank is gonna do the main research, I was just going to read over a little since I'm buying. He's only two so I told her very basic. Same with the freshwater, I didn't want to do research on it and I don't want her fish to die, but I'm not going to be there to do maintenance on any of them.

I got enough on my plate LOL.

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Old 06-29-2011, 03:57 AM   #205
Aquarium Advice Addict

Jeez, why don't my edits take?

Anyway I'm returning the light and bulbs I bought tomorrow (well later today). Tank is settling again, gonna catch some zzz while it settles.

And set my alarm cause I'm trying to make RO too and I don't wanna flood, though at the rate it's going I won't flood probably til next week.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:35 AM   #206
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy

Thanks for the input. Enjoy following, after I do my blurting from my frustrations I calm down and keep plugging away LOL.

The mom of the "lizard" tank is gonna do the main research, I was just going to read over a little since I'm buying. He's only two so I told her very basic. Same with the freshwater, I didn't want to do research on it and I don't want her fish to die, but I'm not going to be there to do maintenance on any of them.

I got enough on my plate LOL.
To be honest I've done alot of differnt reptiles in my time in fact still have two designer leopard geckos.. now being a parent if three children varying in age from 2 to 13 my two year old has held the geckos a few times being they are really tame however... he does really really good as well as well as my 4 year old with. Guiene pigs.. they are really really cuddly and don't care to run a muck like the gerbils and hamsters and ferret we have had in the past... just thought id add my two cents.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:27 AM   #207
Aquarium Advice Addict

RO/DI Update

Am going to be receiving a replacement DI section. I have what sounds like air leaking in/out of the flow control valve and contacted company and they say that "The 450 flow valve made a noise when you remove the tube for the output. This is normal, so don't worry. When both sides are properly connected, there won't be a noise as loud"......I never removed the output tube. I have pushed the tubes in to ensure connection. When I place my hand around the valve, the noise quiets down. Suggestions?

Old 06-29-2011, 12:07 PM   #208
Aquarium Advice Addict

Off to petco to return the lights.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:36 AM   #209
Aquarium Advice Addict

No pics yet, been busy sorry

Been busy, haven't been able to do much. Majority of rock is in the tank but need to move some around as I had to just "toss" it in and so some of it is sitting in the front and not aquascaped. I hope to get to it tonite.

I returned the lights I had bought. Just going to use what came with it for now.

The critter is still in the bucket of RO water and is still partially poking out. My flashlight is going dead but I got a closer look and think I saw a "head". I have decided it is not poking out far enough yet. I don't have anything other than flake food to entice it further out.

Still waiting on DI section for my RO, leaking way too much but if I can get the rock done I may be able to make enough to fill the rest of the tank. I still need to fill about a third of the tank to top it off.

Then, I hope I can start cycling.

Keep your fingers crossed!!!!!!!!

Plan: Pay Bills NOW lol
Finish arranging rock enough to start cycling.
Start Cycling

I have ammonia to start the cycle. I read somewhere how much to use, but don't remember where. Can anyone let me know where I can find that info again or just throw me the amount I need to use?

Thanks all.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:55 AM   #210
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well i'm not sure for saltwater but I know for freshwater it os 3ppm.

Tags
build, reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com