Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-04-2014, 11:14 PM   #2351
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Hi Buffy...you can regenerate DI resin, but it's a pretty lengthy process I wouldn't advise. Pretty much same case with activated carbon. Good luck with your tank, sometimes priorities change.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:15 PM   #2352
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
Isn't distilled water just boiled water?

No, it's purified water. They boil it then re condense the steam.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:35 PM   #2353
Aquarium Advice Addict

We have RO/DI's at work and water polishing units but they are of course industrial size and we regenerate them all the time, I just didn't know if I could do it on a small home scale. I don't have acid/caustic here at home LOL.

I could replace the DI part (it still looks good - it's in a clear cylinder) but I am concerned with the first 3 stages, ummm sediment filter, crap forgot what the 2nd one is - carbon something I think and the third being the ro membrane. Those cylinders are not clear for me to get a visual.

Looks like I am gonna have to somehow come up with the money to replace the unit.

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:53 AM   #2354
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Why do you need to replace the unit? Sounds like you just need some filters and resin...
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 01:25 PM   #2355
Aquarium Advice Addict

I want clear cylinders so I can see things expire before I get into this fix again and it doesn't appear to cost much more if I get the set. Then I can just replace filters and resin.

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Old 04-05-2014, 01:37 PM   #2356
Aquarium Advice Addict

Think I should start a new thread or something since this one is sooooo long? And it's not a "new" tank anymore, just trying to "restore" it.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:05 AM   #2357
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good news

So I talked to one of the lab guys at work that is on my shift who also happens to have a tank (29 or 39 cube I think plus a little one) and he is gonna see if he can regenerate my ro for me. I have no problem replacing resin as I still have some from last time plus I can get some at work. With acid/caustic in bulk at work, gonna see if we can do the little home ro. If it doesn't work, I also talked to the lab supervisor yesterday and he said I can bring demin water home and alot of the guys do that. Just found out yesterday a few of the guys with tanks don't have ro's they bring water home from work. lol WHEW. So I will bring in a few of my 1 gallon containers and start hauling when I have to work.

I brought home a conductivity meter and tested my water. It is 112.48mho's. It should be 0 after leaving ro/di. (Least it is at work lol). Which this means that my tank is high in conductivity. Anything I can do to fix that besides working on water changes? I can only bring so much home at a time. We do have camera's on the property all over and even though I have permission there still is a chance someone will get pissed since some of them still have a target on my back, so I don't want to bring much home. Least during daytime lol and I don't work nights for another week.

So I know of at least 3 guys at work who have tanks now, didn't know any did. I knew one had one but he is off my shift now and he had dismantled it but since seeing mine he has started his back up lol. I am so glad my lab guy has a tank, but a few minute conversation with anyone there dealing with tanks turns into a half hour or more and then we are busting butt trying to catch up on our regular jobs LMAO.

Tags
build, reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com