Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-04-2011, 12:15 PM   #241
Aquarium Advice Addict

Another question - Temperature......... I'm seeing different numbers. I'm thinking 80 after all I read.

What's the ideal temperature to strive to maintain?

I placed my 300 watt heater on back wall, centered and horizontal.

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:17 PM   #242
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I keep my tanks at 79 degrees. Used to keep em at 80 but went down a notch LOL

The temperature you want is a constant steady one. In the range of 76 to 82 I'd think is about right.

Old 07-04-2011, 12:24 PM   #243
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just checked again, heater is set at 79 and am reading 81ish (80 and 82 are both "lit"). I have a stick on temperature indicator on the lower front left of the glass.

When I used the heater in the beginning before I had to drain everything, I had it set at 79 and it would go to 82-84. Then the heater was mounted on back wall but at left corner and vertical. I moved the temperature indicator to various spots and it made no difference. So now I moved the heater.

Do I have a problem with my heater?

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Old 07-04-2011, 12:38 PM   #244
Aquarium Advice Addict

Talking New Pics!!!!!!!!

I may add more sand back in. I need a turkey baster or something to get the sand off some of the rock.

What ya'll think so far?

Old 07-04-2011, 12:46 PM   #245
Aquarium Advice Addict

Talking More Pics

Here's a few pics looking down. Hope you can see the caves, nooks, and tunnels. Where there is one "hole", I tried to have an "exit" for them to swim through. Caves in the middle I don't remember if I made a through path or just strictly a cave.

Anyone see anything I should do different? I do plan on buying more rock but not yet.

Old 07-04-2011, 02:07 PM   #246
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to nohika
I think it's amazing. I can't have a SW tank yet for a couple years, so I'm living through everyone else's.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:10 PM   #247
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Im on my phone but the pictures look good from what I can see. You don't have to over think the rocks though in practice you'll move some here and there. Especially once you get to corals.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:41 PM   #248
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
Im on my phone but the pictures look good from what I can see. You don't have to over think the rocks though in practice you'll move some here and there. Especially once you get to corals.

K thanks. umm, me overthink? I believe your head has been racing too LOL. I think all of our heads race when it comes to these tanks.

Salinity was at 1.024, added another 1/2 cup, waiting.

When I do my FIRST pwc after cycling........

How much pwc?

How far ahead can I make up sw?

and

Can I mix in the same container as I make the water or do I have to mix in a separate container?

I don't have room for another big container. One 10G Brute is storing ALL that extra sand. The other 10G Brute is holding 2 live rock with ro, til I see if I end up with critters.

Old 07-04-2011, 03:10 PM   #249
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

[QUOTE=Buffy;1433279]K thanks. umm, me overthink? I believe your head has been racing too LOL. I think all of our heads race when it comes to these tanks.

Salinity was at 1.024, added another 1/2 cup, waiting.

When I do my FIRST pwc after cycling........

How much pwc?

How far ahead can I make up sw?

and

Can I mix in the same container as I make the water or do I have to mix in a
separate container?

I don't have room for another big container. One 10G Brute is storing ALL that extra sand. The other 10G Brute is holding 2 live rock with ro, til I see if I end up with critters.[/QUOT

Buffy,... Once you've finally completed you cycling process and you look at your tank and you take in that deep breath and exhale and go "whew",.. Well, here we go.....then the normal rule of thumb is to do a big water change for your first post cycle event,..usually around 50% ,... Then depending on what your tanks readings are,..then 10-20 % weekly or biweekly,...I normally will do about a 20 gal pwc + - every Monday morning ( day off), on my 75 gal tank and do my normal tank maintenance then too.
I will usually always have a 30 gal rubbermaid filled with new sw ready to go a week ahead of time,..a thermometer and a powerhead will take care of the rubbermaid's mixing etc.....I also make up a 8 gal water canister with my RODI water for my top offs,....
Your tank is looking nice..btw.....
Old 07-04-2011, 03:36 PM   #250
Aquarium Advice Addict

@Dary421. Thanks. I took a big breath after I got my rock in. My hands got all scraped up especially my thumbs. Wow sw hurts them alot LOL. I'm just preparing for routine stuff and making a "plan of attack" to try to keep it all smooth and organized.

Tags
build, reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com