Buffy's 1st Ever SW Build - Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you are sensitive to coral, I would use latex gloves, rinsed first. If you are not sensitive, I prefer bare hands. We rarely let divers wear gloves anymore as the gloved hand can damage coral worse than a bare hand will. Gentle is the only way to go.

While doing some research for Carey, I came across pretty scary pics and stuff. I don't like touching fish as it is, so I will be using the latex but thank you for letting me know to rinse them, I wouldn't have thought of it. Wanted to make sure latex would be okay and not leech anything into the tank.

I have a yellow tail damsel that thinks it is a great white.

So does mine.. thinks its the pack leader.

LOL you guys are funny :)

Well I'm tossing around the Maxima Clam, a fish (don't know which one yet - as there are alot I like), a coral (It reminds me of a red tree), a Sea Apple or a Neon Hammer.

I first have to figure out what comes first the chicken or the egg LOL, I mean I know there's an order of putting things in, like the most aggressive would be last and such. So I don't know out of the items above which comes first, once I can figure that out then I can decide the route I want to take.

Then I gotta figure out how to take care of them and feed them before I buy them. And I gotta get their food supplies and such beforehand too.... which leads to figuring out what to feed what LOL.

Don't want to buy a fish or anything and not be able to feed it. That would be bad....very very bad.

Buffy said:

Well I'm tossing around the Maxima Clam, a fish (don't know which one yet - as there are alot I like), a coral (It reminds me of a red tree), a Sea Apple or a Neon Hammer.

I first have to figure out what comes first the chicken or the egg LOL, I mean I know there's an order of putting things in, like the most aggressive would be last and such. So I don't know out of the items above which comes first, once I can figure that out then I can decide the route I want to take.

Then I gotta figure out how to take care of them and feed them before I buy them. And I gotta get their food supplies and such beforehand too.... which leads to figuring out what to feed what LOL.

Don't want to buy a fish or anything and not be able to feed it. That would be bad....very very bad.

Just about any fish u buy will eat mysis and brine shrimp... I also feed some flake everynow and again.. tangs will require seaweed.. go u the for being prepared .. oh just a question could u tell me where u bought ur dry and live rock...thanks in advance.

Buffy said:

Oh heads up the maxiums clams are expert care good quality water and lighting which u will have... are going to be needed.. there is some others that are nice just can't think if names.

Oh heads up the maxiums clams are expert care good quality water and lighting which u will have... are going to be needed.. there is some others that are nice just can't think if names.

Thanks....... I hope to be able to be that "expert" one day and be able to have them. I though I read both...easy and expert. Different Profiles, or different sites.

Yeah, I worked today so as usual I checked my front door for any packages and there was none :-( then I realized. No mail...It's Sunday lol.

I got my base rock from ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae - Rock

Price went up, was 90 dollars for 50 pounds.

My live rock I got when I went up to Foster & Smiths to buy my "basics". I already had the tank and stand. I bought 25 pounds live from them. I plan on going up again this weekend. I'm thinking about getting another piece. Plus I gotta look at their Live stock again :). They have that dang Maximum Clam just calling my name LOL. I don't plan on buying livestock yet. But when I'm there I plan on buying food stuff and any other misc stuff I may need. Hopefully I won't spend too much. I don't want to buy anything til my lights and Canister comes in.

Do I need a skimmer???? I thought I did then thought I didn't. Now I don't know. If I do can someone make some recommendations and why?

Thanks.

For a 75 id have a skimmer. My favorite model is the octopus bh 100 hob skimmer. I paid about $120 with shipping and only took a night to break in. It skims this much in a day

I'd also suggest a skimmer as well. The octopus ones come very highly regarded. They make some nice hang skimmers. If you want I cna make a list up. :) lol

Looking at pics of everyones skimmers in action make me extremely sad, my skimmer waste is usually a soft brown liquid, everyone elses seems to be a dark green gunk....does mine just suck that bad?? Hate to have to replace it

Buffy said:

I've never ran a skimmer .. I will eventually buy one but its nothing u need right away...

Buffy! Stop surfing the net about this darn tank today and get some work done.. your performance has been way under par since you have returned to work...

Edit: I was only joking... can't tell you how much time I spend on these forums while at work.. speaking of I better do somthing today as well..

HaHa I'm off today jsmith.

Thanks for the pic of your skimmer Ibrahim.

I know for skimmer, it's gotta be in sump kind. I don't have sump yet but will. So it's have to be HOB and in sump combo.

I'll check out the Octopus's.

I got 36 hours 48 hours off. Hope I don't waste it surfing. I got alot to get done.

If you adjust the skimmer the skimmate can be either watery or more "solid". I have a nasty black goo that comes out of my skimmer.

And dont blame buffy for not getting much done, she's been researching like crazy trying to help me and my fish diagnosis. :) Which I really really appreciate.

Here are my 3 favorite hang on skimmers

Hang on Back HOB Reef Octopus Protein Skimmers
AquaC Remora & Remora Pro Protein Skimmers
CPR Bak Pak 2 Hang on Back Protein Skimmers for Marine & Reef Aquarium

You want one that can "handle" about twice your tank size but with hangons its kinda hard to get to there. Any of the above I think would be a great addition. :)

Yeah, I think getting a new stand or having a stand adjacent would be a nightmare for her. She's at 75g so she should be fine, she went with a fluval 405. :)

And we'll see which skimmer she picks out. I did the canister filter/hob skimmer with my 55g and had 0 issues with it.

Back
Top Bottom