Buffy's 1st Ever SW Build - Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I work in emergency management. Take a deep breath. I have been following closely and you seem to be in a big hurry. You are doing everything right, I just think you are really anxious and this hobby punishes those that aren't really patient. For instance, clams are not easy. I know somebody will shout I am wrong, they keep their 20 year old clam in a fish bowl, but from experience, they aren't easy. Start with a simple damsel fish, or a piece of coral like a Kenya tree, cheap and easy to care for. Don't go fancy or expensive because there is a lot of settling in that your reef will be doing for months. Both you and the tank need to hit a maintenance cycle that works. Just my opinion. Don't try to do everything at once. ;-)

Gregcoyote said:
I work in emergency management. Take a deep breath. I have been following closely and you seem to be in a big hurry. You are doing everything right, I just think you are really anxious and this hobby punishes those that aren't really patient. For instance, clams are not easy. I know somebody will shout I am wrong, they keep their 20 year old clam in a fish bowl, but from experience, they aren't easy. Start with a simple damsel fish, or a piece of coral like a Kenya tree, cheap and easy to care for. Don't go fancy or expensive because there is a lot of settling in that your reef will be doing for months. Both you and the tank need to hit a maintenance cycle that works. Just my opinion. Don't try to do everything at once. ;-)

I agree.Years ago I was the same way as far as rushing things and it costs you and your livestock pay the price.Take it slow,good advice Gregcoyote.

AAAhh AAAhhh, AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH deep breath taken :). (I actually have panic meds for work lol) I'm actually not in a hurry, I just feel swamped with everything I need to get and put it all together. I do want clams and some of those corals and such that are for expert so to speak, cause they look awesome but I'm not ready for any of that I know, I don't have an established tank yet. But I want to make sure that I have what I need and it's ready and doing what it's supposed to before I buy any livestock. Right now I'm not ready to put anything in.

I keep just stepping back to regroup but what I need to do is get all this out of my head and on paper. I hate being disorganized, it confuses me too much. But I have no clue how to organize this hobby yet other than a small notebook for my tests. So I end up in circles. Thank you for having me breathe again :)

Gregcoyote said:

Greg...im glad you brought this up ,.and I could not agree more,...lessons learned,,ya just gotta go slow for the best results,...your new tank will constantly be undergoing changes and will take months to settle itself in to where it wants to be regardless of what your readings may be,...think of your water as making a batch of high priced red wine,..it 'll just need time to mature for it's best results....don't worry ,there's plenty of wino's here to guide you along :) .... You're doing good girl!!

Thanks Dary421 :)

I've finally got my DI section apart, only took a month or so. It looked threaded on wrong and it was. I got it apart and the 1st thread was white instead of blue and was smushed down in parts. I used some pipe tape and screwed it back on. So far it has stopped leaking. (I've been trying to get that thing apart everyday now since I got it). Now to make more water woohoo.

@Carey, What light is that in the pic? Is that the one that I ordered?

No, it's a mystery what brand it is. I bought it used. It does have indivudual reflectors and a single cord so i can control by the timer thats built in. It was a really great purchase. Only four bulb though

I am five months in and still not settled. :(
I've learned a bit of patience.
The best thing I'm doing right now for my tank is nothing.

I dont think buffy has rushed at all.. I think out of maybe a good 10 past newb builds in this forum she has taken the proper care and preperation to established a great aquarium.. I think all new poeple should take the time to read through her thread...she found out how important it is start the tank off properly its goes from purching live rock... base rock to her unfortunate run in with a recommended ro/di unit... we all love the unexpected expenses the can occur during this lovely hobby.. she's taking the time to read more the 90% of the new aquarists.. and has realized the importance of a fuge sump and skimmer... if someone new enters this forum and ask what's required to get in to this hobby I will most likely start posting this thread link...

I think we all agree that she's doing the right thing.., I just think everyone here is merely letting her know not to step on the gas peddle too fast..., she's doing great!

Agreed as well. I guess the clam comment sent my alarms off. It is very easy to get disappointed at this stage (where all those incredible used equipment deals come from) because you can do everything right and your favorite fish can still die. I also collect and fly RC helicopters. I buy them for dimes on the dollar on EBay, because less than 5% of the people that buy them learn how to fly them successfully. This hobby can crash you and burn you as well. Worth it all, because when it works, it is magic.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate you knowing that I am trying to take my time, but dang I'm not a mechanic or plumber and that kind of stuff just earks me when I have to try to figure out what to do.

@Gregoyote - "I guess the clam comment sent my alarms off." Understandably, I do want some clams but I know I need to be ready for them and that will be awhile. Same with the Mandarin. With saying what I want earlier, I also posted I got to still look into the care and what comes first (like aggressive is last to be put in I believe) and compatibility. I so want a tang, but I'm pretty sure I'm not getting one. I believe my tank is too small for him to be thriving. I don't want my critters to just be "happy" and "exist" I want them to thrive also. So as to what I get first.....Well that depends on when I decide to really look hard at what I want, then I'll look at the details and figure what I put in first. But I still thank you for telling me to breathe. I was so frustrated with having to fix this and fix that. My tank is doing fine just sitting there waiting for my lights and canister filter with me doing my nightly critter search with a flashlight.

It's all the plumbing issues that have happened since.

I don't think I'm gonna get a skimmer right away, got bills to pay first. I want a refractometer first. Then with the skimmer I think I need a hob refugium too. Since I'm not doing sump for now, I'll need to use hob and then use it somewhere else when I do get a sump going, but that will wait a little bit too.

My lights and canister are supposed to be here between 19th and 23rd.

Off topic, needed a break from home owning stuff and daughter asked to go fishing. I'm like ok. She said pick me up in an hour, I'm like nope gonna ride my bike for at least a half hour first. So I did. I rode my bike, then came home loaded the boat and stuff and went and picked her up (was at her house an hour and 10 minutes after I said yup. I didn't realize how hot it was and I had to stop on my bike a few times as I was getting sick from the heat and couldn't drink enough water.

So we went out on the boat, we each caught 1 northern a piece and tossed them back. I finally started to cool off about 15 min ago when I walked in (I turned on AC before I left).

All in all, was a good day. Head hurts though from the heat. Well maybe my face too since it's redder than a tomato.

I so appreciate everyone's input, help, guidance and patience with me, and I appreciate you all helping me to try to stay patient and calm.

If it's a clam you want...then I see a fine clam in your future. My angel fish won't leave one alone in my tank. They are very cool.

I have three dwarf angel fish that are over 10 years old. A coral beauty,a flame and a black tail. Early in their careers, I had several large clams. While they occasionally nipped a polyp without lasting harm, they were relentless with the clams. They would pick their mantels and cause them to contract all the time. The clams did not like it...at all. So it was the angel fish or the clams. Angel fish won. In truth, the clams were easier to catch.

Gregcoyote said:
I have three dwarf angel fish that are over 10 years old. A coral beauty,a flame and a black tail. Early in their careers, I had several large clams. While they occasionally nipped a polyp without lasting harm, they were relentless with the clams. They would pick their mantels and cause them to contract all the time. The clams did not like it...at all. So it was the angel fish or the clams. Angel fish won. In truth, the clams were easier to catch.

Haha the clam was easier to catch..isn't that truth.

Gonna be a long nite. Hard switch from days to nites. Update: Lites and Canister and power heads still have not arrived.

So now when the filter and power heads get here, I take out the Emporor 400 and the two aqua 50's and use the canister and the new power heads instead?

Back
Top Bottom