Buffy's 1st Ever SW Build - Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You may wanna find a way to soak your new filter media with the current hob media....I know that the live rock does a lot of the filtration, but having as much media as possible for extra bb groth doesn't hurt:)

Thanks, appreciate it. Don't there's really anything in there to soak them in.

Pumps arrived

I consulted my Magic 8 Ball. It said "Could Be."

Yay, could be you were right, I got my power heads in. They must have come by after I went to work. Poor things, delivery guy didn't put them far back enough on porch, so box was sopping wet.

Now that I have my pumps, I have a question.

I didn't read the "all of the print". I read the book and found that on the web site says "MAXIMUM TANK SIZE: Fresh - up to 90 gallon./ Salt - 50 gallon". I have 2 of them. Will these be okay for now or will I eventually need to get bigger ones? If I do need to get the bigger ones, when?

I bought Koralia Evolution 750.

Says in book and on box that:
Koralia 750; 4 watt; 750 gpm; fresh 50-90 gal; salt 30-50 gal
Koralia 1050; 5 watt; 1050 gpm; fresh 70-125 gal; salt 45-70 gal
Koralia 1400; 6 watt; 1400 gpm; fresh 90-160 gal; salt 55-90 gal

I can still use the 750 in my 40B whenever I get that going. But I want to make sure I have enough flow and not too much in my 75. But also, I can't go and order right now either.

Thanks

you'll be ok im running two 750's in a 90g and have plenty of flow remember it all adds up are you running a hob still add that too 1500 + gph not to shabby

Grizz said:
you'll be ok im running two 750's in a 90g and have plenty of flow remember it all adds up are you running a hob still add that too 1500 + gph not to shabby

+1 good math amigo... you have plenty.. no everyone is like carey..

Well wasn't sure cause it's rated for up to 50 gallon tank. Sorry give you +1 for the math, but I need to get to sleep, brain dead and I don't see how it adds up.

Nite all.

oh, my emperor 400 will be taken off the back once my fluval 405 gets here. Can you figure that out for me please so I know? Thank ya'll

LOL My clowns are loving the flow in my tank LOL. Like 3800gph of it. :-D

And yes, 2 750's is good for your tank length, 4 feet is 4 feet. A 55g is also 4 feet too so keep that in mind when reading the specs.

I wouldnt steer you wrong girl! LOL

lol i dont think a Navy SEAL could swim in that tank, and add a 90g to that 4ft list
ok 345 + 1500 = 1845 gph thats still more than i want to swim against :lol:

True that on the 90g, I forgot about those. lol I would probably recommend a 3rd PH for a 90g. :) hehe

Buffy, you are doing fine, I can't wait for the rest of your stuff to arrive! You are so set it's not even funny. Stocking will be right around the corner. LOL

Seriously though, you have everything covered for a top line setup. I'm actually a little jealous. ;-)

"Seriously though, you have everything covered for a top line setup. I'm actually a little jealous." Me too, and your killing me with your links lol nice stuff

In salt I have found it's better to as far as you can afford as getting sub par equipment is just a waste in the end especially if you intend on keeping up with the hobby. I have a box of stuff I no longer use or never did use that I though would be a good deal. LOL Cheaper is not always better in the long run.

Buffy seems to have a passion for fish and I think it's great that she can afford or barely afford (hehe) the stuff that can make a huge difference.

Which reminds me, Buffy did you get a refractometer yet? I have this link for a $30 one from ebay, I believe its the same model I use.

Salinity Refractometer 0-10% ATC Aquarium Salt Water | eBay

ARRRGHHHH :banghead: ok it's not so bad i all ready have one of those. And with your guidance she cant go wrong :)

Are you going to vary the current with a timer or wave maker? It really helps a lot to vary the flow from one end of the tank to the other. A $50 power strip with a on/off timer will do the job. I used 2 of the #8 magnum korellias to give me a 90 second surge from one end to the other. My coral took off with a growth spurt, especially the softies.

Poor buffy, we keep suggesting all this stuff. lol

I keep mine running most of the time, I do turn off the one on the right on occassion to change up the flow for them. But yeah, those timer strips can be a cool idea. Maybe once she's up and running she will consider one. :)

Thanks for the to the Refractometer. The whole time I was using a Callibrated Hydrometer. But everytime I tested it was showed the same reading as the Refractometer but I still want to buy a Refractometer cuz it makes me feel more High tech lol.

You also don't have to get your hands wet and it's easy as pie. No stupid bubbles on the swing arm to contend with either. Next to my ro/di unit it was one of my best purchases. :)

Back
Top Bottom