Buffy's 1st Ever SW Build - Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good morrning all. Wow went to to sleep and woke up to a few pages added lol.

Now let's see if I can remember everything:

I know you wouldn't steer me wrong Carey :), by you guys explaining that, helped me to know that there are more things to consider when buying. I hadn't included the flow of the canister and I read the manufacturers guides and saw the 50, but no matter what size tank it's amount of flow. Just like I can have pH mark on but if I have ammonia, it don't matter, fishies dead. All parameters work together to make fishies happy and alive.

Now....No I didn't get a refractometer yet. I plan to.

Yes.. I do want a wave maker of some sort.

And along with the wavemaker idea....Been doing research on what I can automate and where and trying to buy accordingly.

With being rotating shift worker, I want to have livestock covered for when I'm gone. On that note am looking into:

skimmer; probes; controllers; dosings; sump; refugium; autotop off; flood prevention (ie, don't want tank to overflow); and any other stuff I missed, besides the biggest thing I want is something that monitors and controls all this stuff, I think like apex or something. Haven't looked deeply into them just skimmed, but I like something like that because of my schedule.

I think that covers what I want. Now just trying to make sure what I buy will be able to be controlled. I still need to research calicum and all those others and learn about them and how to maintain them. So no fishies yet to make sure I can take care of their needs, they shouldn't suffer because I bought the fish before I bought the food.

Oh and I really do need a better thermometer, I can't read the glass one very well (red line is too tiny trying to see if it's 80 or 81 or 82, and I'm not liking the sticky due to the way the color changes expand over so much of a temp variance.

I wouldn't call this a high tech or even a high end system. So don't no one be jealous, nothing to be jealous of, I'm just trying to make sure fishies are healty, happy and thrive. So there's no livestock (except for a couple things I think I see in my live rock) so I can try to buy right or as close as I can the first time.

Thanks guys :)
Hmm did I miss anything?

I've also been doing some research into a controller and probes but I don't think I'm there yet as far as need. Those things can pretty much do anything. LOL But they are pretty pricey and I'm not sure what is and what is not necessary yet.

I may be dosing soon too, I have some weird parameters going on with my 125g, I posted a thread but no response just yet. i also have doubled the corals I kept previously so that probably has something to do with it. I guess the corals are taking more from my system than I can put in. :-(

The probes look really neat to have, but the only ones that I see plentiful are the temp, ph and orp (which most say isnt needed to be monitored) so I'm not sure if I'm gonna take the plunge on those.

We're just jealous cause we see so many people just throw together a tank and call it a day without real forethought or research. It's pretty refreshing. I'm glad youre doing crazy research and taking your time, your livestock will be most appreciative. ;-)

I've also been doing some research into a controller and probes but I don't think I'm there yet as far as need. Those things can pretty much do anything. LOL But they are pretty pricey and I'm not sure what is and what is not necessary yet.

I may be dosing soon too, I have some weird parameters going on with my 125g, I posted a thread but no response just yet. i also have doubled the corals I kept previously so that probably has something to do with it. I guess the corals are taking more from my system than I can put in. :-(

The probes look really neat to have, but the only ones that I see plentiful are the temp, ph and orp (which most say isnt needed to be monitored) so I'm not sure if I'm gonna take the plunge on those.

We're just jealous cause we see so many people just throw together a tank and call it a day without real forethought or research. It's pretty refreshing. I'm glad youre doing crazy research and taking your time, your livestock will be most appreciative. ;-)

That's all I see for the probes too, I don't see what I want in most of the total system controllers either so those high tech things are going to wait. I've learned to buy right the first time (of course here is a learning experience), because I've wasted so much money on buy things to get me by, I don't want to do that with my tanks. But I'd like to be able to set things for lights and pumps, have something to stop a mess from happening, cause the filter will be under the cabinet and I don't want my tank syphoned onto my floor.

I do plan on calcium reactor, skimmer, doing a sump and refugium (I do want a mandarin) and there were a couple others I think but as far as something to control everything, that can and will wait. I just want to make sure everything will work with everything, if that makes sense.

As far as your corals are you using any kalkwasser type stuff? Corals will deplete the calcium and stuff and since you added more corals, you may need to figure out which supplements you may need. Read this link, tell me your thoughts on it, I found a site last night on my phone that I found very informative but I gotta find it again and I found this site to be very rich in information, one of these days I'll remember to email them to myself lol:

Reef Aquarium Water Parameters by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

hope this helps.

Gotta get ready for work. later ya'll:whistle:

Thats a great article, everyone who keeps sw should read it. :)

I havent been dosing kalk or anything else for that matter as up to now I was running smoothly and within parameters. It's only recently that I've noticed an issue. I think I'm going to try a dkh buffer first and see if that can stabilize my KH and ph. if that doesnt work or is too much effort/money i may just go with a 2 part system. Still gathering my information.

With the fluval, at least for now, you don't have to worry about any flooding or oopsies. It's when you set up an overflow and sump that the possibility arises. i was scared to death to do a sump for that very reason, but from the information I got form this forum I can go to bed at night and be confident that I won't flood. :)

Thats a great article, everyone who keeps sw should read it. :)

I havent been dosing kalk or anything else for that matter as up to now I was running smoothly and within parameters. It's only recently that I've noticed an issue. I think I'm going to try a dkh buffer first and see if that can stabilize my KH and ph. if that doesnt work or is too much effort/money i may just go with a 2 part system. Still gathering my information.

With the fluval, at least for now, you don't have to worry about any flooding or oopsies. It's when you set up an overflow and sump that the possibility arises. i was scared to death to do a sump for that very reason, but from the information I got form this forum I can go to bed at night and be confident that I won't flood. :)

Whew! I was worried bout the tank flowing into the canister and on the floor if I lost power.

Nope, youre safe. If the power goes off it just stops with the water still in the tubes. To do a maintainence on the canister it has turn off valves so the tubes can stay in place without water dripping. It also will self prime when you put it back on. It's a really good filter and easy to use.

Doing the jigggg

Woohoo, :ROFLMAO::D:ROFLMAO:my lights are here, I didn't even hear them get delivered, just happened to walk by front door and seen box leaning up against glass.

Unfortunately I have to leave for work in 5 minutes so I don't have time to open the box, well I have time to open box, but then I'll wanna play and I can't unless I call in sick and can't do that. So they will have to wait til I get home tomorrow. Maybe I'll have enough energy to open them when I get home.

I really don't want to open the box til I get my rock rearranged and the 750's put in.

Now waiting on canister.

Have to order skimmer and refractometer yet. Then I'll go through and see what else I need before I buy livestock. I know I will need food and stuff to feed them with. I have a turkey baster (went and bought one lol - don't cook) and a couple syringes that I use for testing. Got a few extra from pharmacy (for free) to feed.

Then livestock selection comes. Here fishie fishie fishie, come play in my tankie tankie tankie!!!!!(y):dance::popcorn:

Sounds good, youre almost there. Very cool. I can't bear to not open my new packages, it would bug me all night long lol.

Any ideas on the skimmer yet? I posted the cheap refractometer earlier in the thread for you.

Sounds good, youre almost there. Very cool. I can't bear to not open my new packages, it would bug me all night long lol.

Any ideas on the skimmer yet? I posted the cheap refractometer earlier in the thread for you.

I got the link. probably gonna get that one as the are all pretty basic and why pay 100 for the same one that you can get for 30.

Skimmers.. I looked at those but didn't order any yet cause I'm stuck. I'm confused as to which type and well just basically everything still. I almost understand the purpose though LOL. I'm still figuring out the variables and "secondary" purposes. venturi vs needle. spray vs pump. concurrent vs coconcurrent. u know the stuff I knew when I was a baby that I just filed away. still getting thru cobwebs LOL.

Buffy said:
I got the link. probably gonna get that one as the are all pretty basic and why pay 100 for the same one that you can get for 30.

Skimmers.. I looked at those but didn't order any yet cause I'm stuck. I'm confused as to which type and well just basically everything still. I almost understand the purpose though LOL. I'm still figuring out the variables and "secondary" purposes. venturi vs needle. spray vs pump. concurrent vs coconcurrent. u know the stuff I knew when I was a baby that I just filed away. still getting thru cobwebs LOL.

Just forget all the hype and buy the best name brand that'll fit your needs and your price range,...there's a bunch of good ones out there and I'm sure that anyone you get will be wonderful,.... Try to not think too much, you'll only get a headache

Get a headache LOL. Past that LOL. I may not set the lights up til Friday morning. Gonna look at Skimmers now.

Fluval 405

Got home from work and I had a box outside. I believe it contains the Fluval 405. Haven't opened it yet. Got a few things to do before bed, the if I have time before work tonite, I'll be opening my goodies. I swear if I do it now, I won't go to bed and work will be really hard.

I've decided on:

AquaC Remora Pro Protein Skimmer with Rio 1400 Pump & Drain Fitting

Title says Rio 1400 pump but I'm going to get the Mag 3. I'm also going to get:

AquaC Surface Prefilter Box

I've a few things I gotta get done before I can order. But if anyone has any input on these items, please let me know.

Thanks

The mag 3 pumpis a good selection as it will be enough to use on your sump when you get it. :)

I love my remora, some people on the forum arent big fans but I never had an issue with it. I also have the skimmer box too, makes it so fishies cant swim into the pump and keeps the back nice and clean looking with the black box, theres no external pump that can be seen when you use it. :)

Buffy said:
Got home from work and I had a box outside. I believe it contains the Fluval 405. Haven't opened it yet. Got a few things to do before bed, the if I have time before work tonite, I'll be opening my goodies. I swear if I do it now, I won't go to bed and work will be really hard.

I've decided on:

AquaC Remora Pro Protein Skimmer with Rio 1400 Pump & Drain Fitting

Title says Rio 1400 pump but I'm going to get the Mag 3. I'm also going to get:

AquaC Surface Prefilter Box

I've a few things I gotta get done before I can order. But if anyone has any input on these items, please let me know.

Thanks

How did u not open it I woulda tore it open like it was a xmas gift..

How did u not open it I woulda tore it open like it was a xmas gift..

I was too tired from working all night and I haven't been to bed yet because I had to pay bills (Gonna be a rough night, maybe I can get a nap in at work tonite with my eyes open so I don't get caught lol). I keep proscrastinating because of my tank stuff. Seems I don't get much done except read read read for Saltwater stuff. LOL.

I just got back from running around but before I left, I opened up the packages.

The pumps are in their boxes on the table along with the Fluval 405. Well the light is on the table to..............not in its box lol.

But alas I'm still not gonna play. I'm going to get a bike ride in before I have to go to work. I so miss riding my bike. I'll be limping when I'm done but it's worth it. Not sure how far I'm gonna peddle today, don't really have enough time. Nor do I have the strength right now to do 30-50 like I used to before my surgery.

Soo on that note, if I can get the stuff together before work I will post pictures. Otherwise I'm going to be staying up when I get home tomorrow, 1 to work on my tank and 2 I gotta switch back over to dayshift.

Thanks for input Carey.

I hope to order the skimmer and refractometer today or tomorrow. Next is to get the QT together, unless I missed something it'd be stocking decisions. Then food, then livestock. Woohoo. Getting closer.

I'm starting to see the silver lining and the rainbows and the little light at the end of the tunnel has finally started to grow!!!!!

Decisions decisions.....I'd mess with the lights, easy to do. :) The filter will take you awhile to setup.

Decisions decisions.....I'd mess with the lights, easy to do. :) The filter will take you awhile to setup.

No time now lol. Was it AquaCave that you had the coupon for? They are the highest price for skimmer. 269.00 with pre-skimmer and mag 3 at Marine and Reef. How's that for a price?

Looks like I'll be trying to do it all in the morning after work. Hopefully I can get it pretty much done and post some pics :)

Lemme do some checking. I have some obscure sites i can check out. Yeah, aquacave I have a 5% off. I'll post back in a few.

Back
Top Bottom