Buffy's 1st Ever SW Build - Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gregcoyote said:
I have many, many feet of PVC hooking up my tank and have used it in commercial settings as well for many years. It's no good?

Pvc used in ultilites like pvc plumbing is fine there's additives used to insure chemical bond during extrusion...

But zip ties don't have it.. that's for sure ...

And make sure you clean them with soap and water they are manufactured using reprocessed water over and over again and who knows what other types of chemicals are used at that facility.

Just so you can see how tubing is manufactured ( the one in picture I believe was LDPE).. that large tank has water circulating around inside .. the excess water is drained and re processed.. thoughout the facility. I think you can see where water is draining in to a trench... that water to gets put back in... so you guys can just imagine what type of stuff is on that pvc stock you buy at lowes...

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110722_125647.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110722_125647.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 136
  • ForumRunner_20110722_125946.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110722_125946.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 138
Sorry buffy for highjacking your thread.just wanted to stress how important it is to clean you items made of plastic..

Gregcoyote said:
Excellent info for us all.

I know you have been doing this longer then a majority of us in this hobby but after a long discussion with my co workers we think the life span of pvc piping would be around 20+ years ... before degradation now this is in an application where there is continuous flow... not standing water..PVC is not recommended for holding water.. there is two gentalmen whom are reefers who use FPVC tubing rated for drinking water.. but switch them out every few years... and strongly disagree using PVC tubing for their tanks.. because of the long term effects associated with studies from the FDA. Just thought I would add to what's been said.. now there's no reason to go out in switch because of what studies have shown on the health effects on humans just error on the side of caution when used for a long time.

These are things that simply weren't understood when I originally set up my reef. What else was a layman to use? Tank was too big to use all vinyl hoses. Back then Bio balls was the true religion. Lucky to still have fish and coral still alive! I think this thread has been excellent in describing some hard choices, that by using information I didn't have will reduce the number of flushed fish and coral.

How about flexible PVC pipe? As bad or worse?

ok, day turned out alot longer than I thought, just got home, am a tad bit tired (haven't slept since wednesday morning). I wanted to get my tank fixed up with everything that came in. I am soooo sorry I did get to it.

Gotta sleep, can't keep eyes open any longer. Hopefully I don't get side tracked again tomorrow. Nite all.

Sorry buffy for highjacking your thread.just wanted to stress how important it is to clean you items made of plastic..

Don't worry bout it jsmith. Excellent information. Am so glad you brought that information to the forum and hopefully others will be able to take that into their considerations with their tanks too.

We all know it's still OP choice but least they will have more information to make decisions with. Thank you again.

Well as you all can see I still haven't got my stuff together. As I said yesterday, I was exhausted well. I just woke up after 15 hours. Still tired but this must have been my burn day. I have them every couple of months where I finally just get so worn down that I sleep for a very long time sometimes as long as 22 hours.

I can still go back to sleep but as with other burn days, I don't and just takes me a little longer to get moving.

I will still be finishing up what I planned to do with my tank shortly. Soon as this "jet lag" from my burn moves on.

So if zip ties are kosher then I will try using them, not much I want to do with it but I'll leave a spot with that in mind. Right now goal is to get that big rock down to the bottom, finish installing the canister, get the lights on and the power heads on.

Question--though I have no live stock, I have 6 bulbs 3 white 3 blue. Is there a particular order I use? ie rotate every other or 3 blue in back 3 white in front or vice versa or is it just OP preference?

I'd setup the bulbs so that all are on there own switch. You wanna have whites all on one and blues on the other.

I'd setup the bulbs so that all are on there own switch. You wanna have whites all on one and blues on the other.

Thanks.

Fluval:

If anyone has a placement picture of their Fluval hoses on the tank please post it.

Thanks.

Excellent info for us all.

So true, also jsmith, I was thinking maybe you could talk to a mod or something and maybe do a sticky in equipment and maintenance forum about pvc, plastic with all that information you have on that type of stuff so everyone can review it and research to make their decisions for their tanks?

Very very useful information.

My FX5 is about 2-3 inches above my gravel, it barely fits in the 125g. I wouldnt worry too much about it unless it sucks up sand which it shouldnt. I kept my intake behind some rocks in the 55g and still had good cleaning.

As far as the hoses go, I criscrossed them on both tanks as the input and output weren't where I wanted them to be.

You really can't screw it up, go with what works for you and if you wanna move it around it's not a big deal. I've moved my fluval 305 all over the place quite easily.

I also did not cut the hoses on my setups, probably should but they have no kinks or loops and they've been working well so I just left it as is. If you do cut it and need another hose they sell for about $20 for a replacement so don't be scared to do what you think will work.

Hope that helped a bit.. :)

Can't wait to see it in operation!

My FX5 is about 2-3 inches above my gravel, it barely fits in the 125g. I wouldnt worry too much about it unless it sucks up sand which it shouldnt. I kept my intake behind some rocks in the 55g and still had good cleaning.

As far as the hoses go, I criscrossed them on both tanks as the input and output weren't where I wanted them to be.

You really can't screw it up, go with what works for you and if you wanna move it around it's not a big deal. I've moved my fluval 305 all over the place quite easily.

I also did not cut the hoses on my setups, probably should but they have no kinks or loops and they've been working well so I just left it as is. If you do cut it and need another hose they sell for about $20 for a replacement so don't be scared to do what you think will work.

Hope that helped a bit.. :)

Can't wait to see it in operation!

I had to cut the hose, but because I was afraid of cutting it too short, I just cut it in half. The output though I did cut again, otherwise it would have gone into a sort of "loop". How far from your water line is the first connection line (where hose meets rubber) on the intake and same with output?

Just want to get this thing hooked up going. getting ready to turn valve on.

Here's some pictures of my 55g with the fluval. Hope it shows how high to put the nozzles. :) Also a shot of the back and the hoses, it's kinda messy. LOL

img_1464430_0_a3026666a0dbc91a6b04aa356038c32e.jpg

img_1464430_1_9663dbec640e47162891dddba9fe445e.jpg

img_1464430_2_e648f73ee71adadfd8cbf16f0f327a64.jpg

img_1464430_3_1aadef9fa1bd487851606106292febf8.jpg

Thanks..... I have more hose in the water than you do. The output looks like its "on the surface". It's not supposed to be "under" the water?

Can you take one more picture for me? The top of the canister where you attached the hoses to the valve. I want to see the connection. Everywhere I've seen there are no threads showing when done but when I have mine tighted, it tightens UP and threads show, so am wonder if they have the black nuts on backwards. Thanks Carey, a pic is always worth a thousand words.....more than really.

I think this what you were questioning....

img_1464524_0_0e5560f1c61b5d995fbf95da3d43a913.jpg

img_1464524_1_d6f55bd559342dc931a0d6f2b8c888c1.jpg

Yes, thank you, perfect, mine is the same then. woohoo. Just need 2 more inches of water and I can prime it.

Since I fixed my ro/di finally, I am making water faster lol. Is now making water the way it's supposed to be and still no leaks. So making that shouldn't take long. In the mean time I'm going to put power heads on and set up the lights.

The light is heavy. I will take pictures as soon as this is set up, but I will be taking the light back off while I move the rocks around. When done I will post another pic. Woohoo finally getting closer.

Side note: left the white bio in. Figured I would use it. I've read people start with it and then replace that section with rubble. Is that right? Or since I have some rubble should I do that now?

I used the fluval bio max in my filters, some say rock is better, some say that there is better biomedia too, I'm comfortable with the fluval media so I stuck with it.

Thanks, ok.........

Taking a small smoke break, while waiting to turn it all on. Gotta take the bulbs out and put them back in. I kinda forgot about the 2 switches.

I don't think I have the power heads adjusted right. The right one barely reaches the outlet. If I turn them too much they come off the rotating shaft. So I will have to toy around with that. Soon as I'm done rearranging the bulbs, I'll be taking a picture of my tank, without the rock aquascaping done, so excuse the little fishies home as it is still under construction. I should have the pics up in less than half an hour.

Stay tuned.............................

Back
Top Bottom