Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-10-2011, 02:22 PM   #351
Aquarium Advice Addict

150watt halieds do nothing, i'd scratch that off the list, the novas are a good fixture just has mehish lamps

Old 07-10-2011, 02:25 PM   #352
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gti_Leo View Post
you don't need the built in cooling for T5s, and if you want them, the fans are like $10
That would have to be mounted on tank correct? I didn't want to add heat. My temp is set at 79 and the thing is 82-84, I can't cool it. No lights are on. I don't want to turn my air conditioner on because I want outside air in summer since this place is closed up in winter.

For some reason, I also figure if I get a combo light now then I won't have to "upgrade" later. I'm not a diy so I honestly don't think I can build a light. I have seen the hangers (that look like plant hangers), I like that idea better than wall brackets. If I have to I can drill into the ceiling, I just thought it would look icky with metal wire coming down from ceiling.

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:29 PM   #353
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
150watt halieds do nothing, i'd scratch that off the list, the novas are a good fixture just has mehish lamps

halides don't do anything? why? i keep reading it's better for corals and such.

I like the novas alot too, what is mehish lamps?

Thanks Carey, I'm still leaning toward the Current Nova too, but I run across these others with this light and that light for my corals and stuff and I get confused. As I said I don't want to pay 300-400 now and then later pay 500-700 because I have to "upgrade", which I still don't even know if that is actually upgrading or not lol. But I know I'm close to buying something so I want to get the right light.

Thanks everyone for helping and being patient with me

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Old 07-10-2011, 02:40 PM   #354
Aquarium Advice Addict

hailides are old school reefing, you will get the old school reefers tellign you they penetrate better and grow corals better, when the actual truth is T5s are just as powerful and actually grow SPS better then halides. SPS require more light spectrum that florescents produce more of, i sent you a link where there was a comparison done with growing corals under a 6 lamp T5 and under 2 x 250 watt halides and they grew the same where as the T5s grew the SPS slightly better, and they didn't reach towards they light source they branched out liek they are intended to.

a T5 lamp can penetrate to 30" which is 400watt MH territory some might even go 1000watt, all you'd need is to use quality lamps and icecapp ballasts that will over drive a 54 watt lamp to 80 watts. running the standard t5s you can penetrate to 30" but could only grow low light mushrooms at the bottom.

as far as the 150watt halide, they don't penetrate the water well and shouldn't be used on anythign deeper then a standard 20g
Old 07-10-2011, 02:41 PM   #355
Aquarium Advice Addict

The eBay listing went from 2 bids to 14 and from 202.00 to 260.00 LOL I just double checked it is a 4 bulb only. He answered my question about bulb replacements, and he replied.."Coralife, Aqueon and all-glass are the ones we have in stock that work well. I am sure it is a universal 2 pin T5 design".

Old 07-10-2011, 02:49 PM   #356
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
hailides are old school reefing, you will get the old school reefers tellign you they penetrate better and grow corals better, when the actual truth is T5s are just as powerful and actually grow SPS better then halides. SPS require more light spectrum that florescents produce more of, i sent you a link where there was a comparison done with growing corals under a 6 lamp T5 and under 2 x 250 watt halides and they grew the same where as the T5s grew the SPS slightly better, and they didn't reach towards they light source they branched out liek they are intended to.

a T5 lamp can penetrate to 30" which is 400watt MH territory some might even go 1000watt, all you'd need is to use quality lamps and icecapp ballasts that will over drive a 54 watt lamp to 80 watts. running the standard t5s you can penetrate to 30" but could only grow low light mushrooms at the bottom.

as far as the 150watt halide, they don't penetrate the water well and shouldn't be used on anythign deeper then a standard 20g

Thanks for the info, it explained alot. However, How do you know if something has icecapp ballasts? I just read the manual and stuff at Current USA's site and it doesn't say icecapp ballast. It says "highly efficient electronic ballast".

Old 07-10-2011, 02:51 PM   #357
Aquarium Advice Addict

the bids when up that fast because peopel set their max bid and someone else probably did also so there is a fight for the fixture. i usually only purchase from ebay when its a buy now thing, i don't want to go throug hthe hassle of bidding for things lol
Old 07-10-2011, 02:54 PM   #358
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't do the bidding thing either. If I decide on something, the few times that I have, I put in max amount and done. If I'm beat then no prob.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:55 PM   #359
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
Thanks for the info, it explained alot. However, How do you know if something has icecapp ballasts? I just read the manual and stuff at Current USA's site and it doesn't say icecapp ballast. It says "highly efficient electronic ballast".

icecap is a a brand of fixtures, you can also buy the ballasts as a replacement but they only come on their own brand of fixtures.

i think with fulham workhorse ballasts you can over drive pretty easily since they are a universal replacement like the icecaps are

http://www.icecapinc.com/430-fluores...onic-ballast-2

they are expensive but they do the job and they are dimmable from what i've read
Old 07-10-2011, 02:55 PM   #360
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I agree ion the MH fixture, if you wanted to go that route I would think a dual 250w would be the way to go. BUT you might have temperature issues which could require a chiller and they are more than the lights.

I'd stick with the T5's. I'm gonna see what else I can find for you, I'm pretty good at research.

The bulbs that come with the Nova extreme are just standard bulbs, nothing special, And they have legs so you wouldnt have to mount it on a wall or hang it. I'm a tad biased since I have one and I'm pleased with it.

Tags
build, reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com