Buffy's 1st Ever SW Build - Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No no skimmer just 80 lbs LR 4in. dsb and 20% PWC's weekly I run the carbon for one week every 5 weeks My TrAtes hover around 5.ppm Fish, Potters angel, false perc Clown, YWG, gramma and a blue crugemon Goby (*SP) 90g
**edit** also a bit of cyano showed up 2 days ago Dont let the Mrs feed your fish :)

So I'm not needing a skimmer now? I was trying to save up for it before I got any fish.

Side note......Yeah no fish yet, no nothing.......am procrastinating and that's part of the reason the rock isn't done....I'm chicken to get to the stage where I can actually buy a fish or coral. lol:hide:

Personally I would take out the carbon and put the poly fill in that place.

There are different thoughts on the subject but I go by: The only time you should really be using carbon is when you are putting medication into your tank, but you really should be using a QT for that so you shouldn't ever need to use carbon. I guess the only exception to that is when having a fishy smell, it can help with that but there is another underlying problem if you have a fishy smell and carbon is just a cover up.

"Grizz, 400-do you just fill the two sides? Do you use any rubble in there? Do you put the fill in the media trays or toss in?"

Just the poly-fill in fill both sides with a double hand full but not so tightly packed that the water cant flow through it Then once a week i pull it all out and rinse it in my old water just squeeze it like a sponge a few times fluff it and back it goes :)

**edit** IMO no one needs a skimmer all it does is filter out the detritus same thing the poly-fill does except at much faster rate. I run carbon every 5th week just to polish the water (Let the flames begin:) )

Grizz said:
"Grizz, 400-do you just fill the two sides? Do you use any rubble in there? Do you put the fill in the media trays or toss in?"

Just the poly-fill in fill both sides with a double hand full but not so tightly packed that the water cant flow through it Then once a week i pull it all out and rinse it in my old water just squeeze it like a sponge a few times fluff it and back it goes :)

**edit** IMO no one needs a skimmer all it does is filter out the detritus same thing the poly-fill does except at much faster rate. I run carbon every 5th week just to polish the water (Let the flames begin:) )

I be been running carbon for year on a regular basis. This is news to me

I run carbon to keep the coral toxins at bay. When you mix so many different species, you have to do something and carbon is what works.

My father started salt water when he returned from from Vietnam in the 70s .. one thing he swears by is carbon...

So far then in my 400, I will use polyfill.

what's the purpose of using rubble in the filters?

Buffy said:
So far then in my 400, I will use polyfill.

what's the purpose of using rubble in the filters?

The same purpose you use it in your tank hun. Just on a first contact basis.

I can understand the need with mixed corals they love to nuke each other but im cheap and dont want it removing the stuff that i pay extra for when i buy my salt mix :)

I think im going to pull my carbon out just run the filter floss and biomedia.... see how that does... just shh.. don't tell my father.

I would run carbon in my 125g if I had a reactor, which is on my to do list. I'm juts old fashioned, I love my carbon. It cant hurt anything so why not I figure. lol

carey said:
I would run carbon in my 125g if I had a reactor, which is on my to do list. I'm juts old fashioned, I love my carbon. It cant hurt anything so why not I figure. lol

I think grizz is on to somthing though.

I think it's a personal preference kinda thing. I've always run carbon in all my tanks, starting with FW back in the 80's. lol

Some people like it, some people don't... :-D

carey said:
I think it's a personal preference kinda thing. I've always run carbon in all my tanks, starting with FW back in the 80's. lol

Some people like it, some people don't... :-D

I think it is to.. my father still runs a under gravel filter in one of his tanks...

Not to contradict myself but desided to call my dad ask him about carbon... he runs his every other water change ... don't ask me why but much like what greg said once you have so many different types of coral its good to run to remove their toxins.. now if only I could get the guy to join AA ... he needs help with mts.. ( last part with AA was a joke)

There was 3-4 studys done that suggest carbon causes HLLE in tangs sadly i cant find them to back up this claim :(
I asked about running carbon at my LFS and they run it on there coral tanks only. He said No way in **** would he run it with tangs!!
This guy's had this store for 30+ years and his dad for who knows how long before that. All i can say is I trust him I've watched his kids grow up and him turn grey.;) Yes i've been goin there that long.

Everybody has a story. I have run carbon with Tangs for 20 years without issues. It is necessary if you have certain coral species to run some carbon. But carbon isn't all the same. I run pelletized carbon to reduce the dust. My best guess is the dust that causes the problems as carbon is chemically pretty neutral in this form. Just be sure to rinse your carbon in RO before using.

Almost There

Ok, so I think I have the rock situated (for now). It's clearing up.

I replaced the carbon filters in the 400 with filter floss. I left the carbon in the canister. Gonna run it as it came for now.

Will be testing water paramters later today, if all is well then I guess I'm ready to start stocking.

When I replaced the carbon filters with floss in my 400, I saw these on the carbon filters. What are they?

1st pic....In corner with the little crawly legs (It crawls lol). 2nd pic....It kinda wiggles like a worm. And is soft too.

Thanks

Picture

Thanks Carey.

Here's my tank with the rock done. FINALLY lol. Gonna do testing shortly. If all is well I'm going up to Drs.Foster & Smith this week and buy me something to start with using the link in my sig. Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom