Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-18-2011, 12:16 PM   #531
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Oh, I didn't mean about the reactors and dosing as far as what you can keep. If you decide to keep a tankful of SPS corals, yeah, you would probably need to dose a 2 part system at least and maybe supplement as well. But with your lights and other gear, you can keep what you want. It's just when there is an overabundance of corals they can deplete nutrients quickly, then it gets more complicated.

lemme go find my camera, I'll show how the remora works.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:20 PM   #532
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also I don't have enough water for 50%, and I don't have a 2nd bucket that big to mix it in. I only have 32G for "holding" which is almost empty due to the messed up RO unit, I don't like running water and half leaking everywhere and making 2 quarts an hour if that. I know my water bill will go up but this is gonna be rediculiously high.

I have 2 10G buckets which are the same as my 32G Brute. I can use one of them and move water from 32 to 10 to tank. Would the pump I use for that be okay to put in tank to drain, then put in 32 ro bucket to pump to 10, then put in 10 to mix salt and pump to tank? I'm not sure if I need a separate pump for the RO Bucket because of salt and whatever else may be in my tank. Is is safe to use the one pump in the three different "mixes"?

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:22 PM   #533
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Here are some shots of my remora. I also have a black box they sell that covers the pump in the water so nothing can get caught up in it, but I don't have it on now since the tank is empty. I tried to get some pictures of everything so you can see how much room they take up and how it hangs.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:22 PM   #534
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yup. Just move the skimmer to the sump.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:36 PM   #535
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy
Also I don't have enough water for 50%, and I don't have a 2nd bucket that big to mix it in. I only have 32G for "holding" which is almost empty due to the messed up RO unit, I don't like running water and half leaking everywhere and making 2 quarts an hour if that. I know my water bill will go up but this is gonna be rediculiously high.

I have 2 10G buckets which are the same as my 32G Brute. I can use one of them and move water from 32 to 10 to tank. Would the pump I use for that be okay to put in tank to drain, then put in 32 ro bucket to pump to 10, then put in 10 to mix salt and pump to tank? I'm not sure if I need a separate pump for the RO Bucket because of salt and whatever else may be in my tank. Is is safe to use the one pump in the three different "mixes"?
What did u say? Just do whatever water change u can do it will eventually come down.. not like ur over stocked lol.. u can use the same pump I wouldn't worry about it ..
Old 07-18-2011, 12:39 PM   #536
Aquarium Advice Addict

I can't do a 50% cause if I do then the rocks will be exposed to air. Once those rocks have corals and such how would you be able to do a 50% ? At about 19 1/2 inches and at 75 gallons that makes about 3.84 gallons an inch, so I would have to lower my water level to 9.75 inches which exposes half of my rock. I can only go down bout 4inchs which is only about 16 gallons. I'd need to do 37 1/2 gallons. Which right now I stopped at the 4 inch. Typed this and looked up and I'm almost 50% down and half my rock is exposed. Cause even though I unplugged the pump, I forgot to bring the pump above water level and it syphoned it. I don't have enough water to fill it again. I'm thinking today I should just do dishes, vacuum and mow the lawn and forget the tank.

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Old 07-18-2011, 12:47 PM   #537
Aquarium Advice Addict

problem solve for exposed rock. moved it down so the water i put back in is enough to cover til i can make more.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:55 PM   #538
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks Carey, makes more sense now.

@Ibrahim - Thanks, I know I'll be using different things on different tanks but for now I can afford to equip 8 tanks.

@jsmith - sorry, I hate math but with my job, it involves alot of it. tanks, volumes, pressures, temperatures, flows and such; it's all confusing to me so I try to figure some of that kinda stuff out when I can because when something goes wrong I have to figure out why if I can or the company can lose alot of money and alot of equipment and more importantly I can kill someone and that scares the heck out of me. Job is too stressful but I have no choice, I can't go back to my "other" job because of limitations from my surgery. So I'm trying to learn as much as I can on the fly.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:03 PM   #539
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy
problem solve for exposed rock. moved it down so the water i put back in is enough to cover til i can make more.
Got ya just do alot small ones over the next few days lol ... its not really important not like u have anything in there..

Last thing u want to do ismove junk around..
Old 07-18-2011, 01:54 PM   #540
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah well I have to move the rock yet anyway, haven't done it yet, was working and too tired when I got home. Only AA surfed, watch tv and scoped out my rock lol

Tags
build, reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com