Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-18-2011, 01:55 PM   #541
Aquarium Advice Addict

@Carey, What light is that in the pic? Is that the one that I ordered?

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:05 PM   #542
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I work in emergency management. Take a deep breath. I have been following closely and you seem to be in a big hurry. You are doing everything right, I just think you are really anxious and this hobby punishes those that aren't really patient. For instance, clams are not easy. I know somebody will shout I am wrong, they keep their 20 year old clam in a fish bowl, but from experience, they aren't easy. Start with a simple damsel fish, or a piece of coral like a Kenya tree, cheap and easy to care for. Don't go fancy or expensive because there is a lot of settling in that your reef will be doing for months. Both you and the tank need to hit a maintenance cycle that works. Just my opinion. Don't try to do everything at once.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:11 PM   #543
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote
I work in emergency management. Take a deep breath. I have been following closely and you seem to be in a big hurry. You are doing everything right, I just think you are really anxious and this hobby punishes those that aren't really patient. For instance, clams are not easy. I know somebody will shout I am wrong, they keep their 20 year old clam in a fish bowl, but from experience, they aren't easy. Start with a simple damsel fish, or a piece of coral like a Kenya tree, cheap and easy to care for. Don't go fancy or expensive because there is a lot of settling in that your reef will be doing for months. Both you and the tank need to hit a maintenance cycle that works. Just my opinion. Don't try to do everything at once.
I agree.Years ago I was the same way as far as rushing things and it costs you and your livestock pay the price.Take it slow,good advice Gregcoyote.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:24 PM   #544
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post

AAAhh AAAhhh, AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH deep breath taken . (I actually have panic meds for work lol) I'm actually not in a hurry, I just feel swamped with everything I need to get and put it all together. I do want clams and some of those corals and such that are for expert so to speak, cause they look awesome but I'm not ready for any of that I know, I don't have an established tank yet. But I want to make sure that I have what I need and it's ready and doing what it's supposed to before I buy any livestock. Right now I'm not ready to put anything in.

I keep just stepping back to regroup but what I need to do is get all this out of my head and on paper. I hate being disorganized, it confuses me too much. But I have no clue how to organize this hobby yet other than a small notebook for my tests. So I end up in circles. Thank you for having me breathe again

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Old 07-18-2011, 02:34 PM   #545
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote
Greg...im glad you brought this up ,.and I could not agree more,...lessons learned,,ya just gotta go slow for the best results,...your new tank will constantly be undergoing changes and will take months to settle itself in to where it wants to be regardless of what your readings may be,...think of your water as making a batch of high priced red wine,..it 'll just need time to mature for it's best results....don't worry ,there's plenty of wino's here to guide you along .... You're doing good girl!!
Old 07-18-2011, 02:56 PM   #546
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks Dary421

I've finally got my DI section apart, only took a month or so. It looked threaded on wrong and it was. I got it apart and the 1st thread was white instead of blue and was smushed down in parts. I used some pipe tape and screwed it back on. So far it has stopped leaking. (I've been trying to get that thing apart everyday now since I got it). Now to make more water woohoo.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:47 PM   #547
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

This hobby will make a plumber out of you. Another option for employment?
Old 07-18-2011, 04:11 PM   #548
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
@Carey, What light is that in the pic? Is that the one that I ordered?

No, it's a mystery what brand it is. I bought it used. It does have indivudual reflectors and a single cord so i can control by the timer thats built in. It was a really great purchase. Only four bulb though
Old 07-18-2011, 07:54 PM   #549
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am five months in and still not settled.
I've learned a bit of patience.
The best thing I'm doing right now for my tank is nothing.
scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:07 PM   #550
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottayy View Post
I am five months in and still not settled.
I've learned a bit of patience.
The best thing I'm doing right now for my tank is nothing.
".....You have learned well grasshopper"
Kung Fu ( old tv program )

Tags
build, reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com