Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-18-2011, 09:00 PM   #551
Aquarium Advice Addict

I dont think buffy has rushed at all.. I think out of maybe a good 10 past newb builds in this forum she has taken the proper care and preperation to established a great aquarium.. I think all new poeple should take the time to read through her thread...she found out how important it is start the tank off properly its goes from purching live rock... base rock to her unfortunate run in with a recommended ro/di unit... we all love the unexpected expenses the can occur during this lovely hobby.. she's taking the time to read more the 90% of the new aquarists.. and has realized the importance of a fuge sump and skimmer... if someone new enters this forum and ask what's required to get in to this hobby I will most likely start posting this thread link...

Old 07-18-2011, 09:16 PM   #552
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I think we all agree that she's doing the right thing.., I just think everyone here is merely letting her know not to step on the gas peddle too fast..., she's doing great!

Old 07-18-2011, 11:22 PM   #553
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Agreed as well. I guess the clam comment sent my alarms off. It is very easy to get disappointed at this stage (where all those incredible used equipment deals come from) because you can do everything right and your favorite fish can still die. I also collect and fly RC helicopters. I buy them for dimes on the dollar on EBay, because less than 5% of the people that buy them learn how to fly them successfully. This hobby can crash you and burn you as well. Worth it all, because when it works, it is magic.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:53 AM   #554
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks everyone. I appreciate you knowing that I am trying to take my time, but dang I'm not a mechanic or plumber and that kind of stuff just earks me when I have to try to figure out what to do.

@Gregoyote - "I guess the clam comment sent my alarms off." Understandably, I do want some clams but I know I need to be ready for them and that will be awhile. Same with the Mandarin. With saying what I want earlier, I also posted I got to still look into the care and what comes first (like aggressive is last to be put in I believe) and compatibility. I so want a tang, but I'm pretty sure I'm not getting one. I believe my tank is too small for him to be thriving. I don't want my critters to just be "happy" and "exist" I want them to thrive also. So as to what I get first.....Well that depends on when I decide to really look hard at what I want, then I'll look at the details and figure what I put in first. But I still thank you for telling me to breathe. I was so frustrated with having to fix this and fix that. My tank is doing fine just sitting there waiting for my lights and canister filter with me doing my nightly critter search with a flashlight.

It's all the plumbing issues that have happened since.

I don't think I'm gonna get a skimmer right away, got bills to pay first. I want a refractometer first. Then with the skimmer I think I need a hob refugium too. Since I'm not doing sump for now, I'll need to use hob and then use it somewhere else when I do get a sump going, but that will wait a little bit too.

My lights and canister are supposed to be here between 19th and 23rd.

Off topic, needed a break from home owning stuff and daughter asked to go fishing. I'm like ok. She said pick me up in an hour, I'm like nope gonna ride my bike for at least a half hour first. So I did. I rode my bike, then came home loaded the boat and stuff and went and picked her up (was at her house an hour and 10 minutes after I said yup. I didn't realize how hot it was and I had to stop on my bike a few times as I was getting sick from the heat and couldn't drink enough water.

So we went out on the boat, we each caught 1 northern a piece and tossed them back. I finally started to cool off about 15 min ago when I walked in (I turned on AC before I left).

All in all, was a good day. Head hurts though from the heat. Well maybe my face too since it's redder than a tomato.

I so appreciate everyone's input, help, guidance and patience with me, and I appreciate you all helping me to try to stay patient and calm.

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:58 AM   #555
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

If it's a clam you want...then I see a fine clam in your future. My angel fish won't leave one alone in my tank. They are very cool.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:00 AM   #556
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do angel fish kill them?

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Old 07-19-2011, 02:52 AM   #557
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I have three dwarf angel fish that are over 10 years old. A coral beauty,a flame and a black tail. Early in their careers, I had several large clams. While they occasionally nipped a polyp without lasting harm, they were relentless with the clams. They would pick their mantels and cause them to contract all the time. The clams did not like it...at all. So it was the angel fish or the clams. Angel fish won. In truth, the clams were easier to catch.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:14 AM   #558
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote
I have three dwarf angel fish that are over 10 years old. A coral beauty,a flame and a black tail. Early in their careers, I had several large clams. While they occasionally nipped a polyp without lasting harm, they were relentless with the clams. They would pick their mantels and cause them to contract all the time. The clams did not like it...at all. So it was the angel fish or the clams. Angel fish won. In truth, the clams were easier to catch.
Haha the clam was easier to catch..isn't that truth.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:22 PM   #559
Aquarium Advice Addict

Gonna be a long nite. Hard switch from days to nites. Update: Lites and Canister and power heads still have not arrived.

So now when the filter and power heads get here, I take out the Emporor 400 and the two aqua 50's and use the canister and the new power heads instead?

Old 07-19-2011, 04:37 PM   #560
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

yep, thats the plan.

Tags
build, reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com