Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-22-2011, 06:34 AM   #601
Aquarium Advice Addict

Woohoo

Woohoo am off work in an hour and an half! Am tired cause I didn't sleep yesterday but I. am getting antsy and wanna play with my tank toys!

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:53 AM   #602
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
The mag 3 pumpis a good selection as it will be enough to use on your sump when you get it.

I love my remora, some people on the forum arent big fans but I never had an issue with it. I also have the skimmer box too, makes it so fishies cant swim into the pump and keeps the back nice and clean looking with the black box, theres no external pump that can be seen when you use it.
That's ok. Not everybody likes the same stuff. I researched the suggested ones plus some that were all price ranges as high as 2000.00. Even a lot of those high priced ones someone didn't like. For my purposes and price range I got what I felt was the best of the group.

But can someone suggest an accurate, inexpensive thermometer THAT I CAN SEE so I can read it please? I read up on some digitals but the don't appear to last and alot have water proof problems. Right now I have a sticky strip which is too broad. I want fine tuned temps. I also have a glass one stuck on glass with suction cup but I struggle trying to see where that teenie weenie itsy bitsey red line is and the number. Yeah I get nauseous trying to read it.

Thanks ya'll.

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Old 07-22-2011, 08:48 AM   #603
Aquarium Advice Addict

Can someone tell me how much this is in American money?

£62.40

Old 07-22-2011, 09:21 AM   #604
Aquarium Advice Addict

If my math is right it's $ 91

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:59 AM   #605
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy

That's ok. Not everybody likes the same stuff. I researched the suggested ones plus some that were all price ranges as high as 2000.00. Even a lot of those high priced ones someone didn't like. For my purposes and price range I got what I felt was the best of the group.

But can someone suggest an accurate, inexpensive thermometer THAT I CAN SEE so I can read it please? I read up on some digitals but the don't appear to last and alot have water proof problems. Right now I have a sticky strip which is too broad. I want fine tuned temps. I also have a glass one stuck on glass with suction cup but I struggle trying to see where that teenie weenie itsy bitsey red line is and the number. Yeah I get nauseous trying to read it.

Thanks ya'll.
They have 8 dollar ones at petco with a large front and light I will snap a picture for u when I get home with brand ... I've bought one for every tank we have owned.. they are great down side us they have a switch for air and water and a few times its been moved to air so inadvertently when starting my last build I've turned heater up... lost a fish because of it while doing water change but other then that they are great
Old 07-22-2011, 10:05 AM   #606
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I too wish I had more selection in the thermometer department. I need bifocals which I havent broken down and gotten yet, LOL, so reading the tiny line is kinda hard. lol

I've heard mixed reviews about about the electronic ones, even my LFS deterred me from getting one at his store. I was looking into the in tank probes but they run like $80. :-( I would think those are accurate and workmanship is good but the price tag is awful high, especially since I don't have a controller yet I don't see me getting one.

Wish I had more sugestions, but I'm gonna do some searches and see what I find.

And buffy I researched for a few hours to find the remora cheaper but with no luck. It's all within a buck or two of each other. Sorry I couldnt find a cheaper one.

Heres the only thing I'm coming up with as far as bigger red lines. they are alot bigger than the normal thermometers, I was looking at getting one for my cichlid tank as they are very rough on the little glass ones. Just never actually got it.

http://www.aquacave.com/hanging-stai...meter-591.html
Old 07-22-2011, 10:16 AM   #607
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks ya'll, I saw that one to Carey but I didn't want to put the metal in the tank, don't want to chance toxins. I've been looking at the tank probes too and keeping in the back of my mind bout it being compatible with controllers.

I would appreciate that JSmith.

Update: No equipment on tank LOL. All old stuff (crap it's only a month or so old lol) is in a bucket. I'm working on the aquascaping.

Question: Do zip ties hold or do they "rot" out? I wanna try something but I don't want to harm anything later on.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:20 AM   #608
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Are you trying to mount rock together? Theres some great epoxy available for that. I just have zip ties at water level in one tank holding a light fixture. lol Not sure about the long term.

As far as the thermometer, why would the metal be bad for the tank? They sell it specifically for fish tanks so I can only assume it's safe. Keep in mind the probes and whatnot are also made of metal and they go into the tank as well. Just a thought
Old 07-22-2011, 10:24 AM   #609
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
Are you trying to mount rock together? Theres some great epoxy available for that. I just have zip ties at water level in one tank holding a light fixture. lol Not sure about the long term.

As far as the thermometer, why would the metal be bad for the tank? They sell it specifically for fish tanks so I can only assume it's safe. Keep in mind the probes and whatnot are also made of metal and they go into the tank as well. Just a thought
I thought the probes were like a hard plastic. I was kinda nervous about the metal because of toxicity. Didn't know if anything would leech.

Yep, I want to put a few pieces of rock together.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:27 AM   #610
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Some people use the epoxy in tubes, it comes in different colors so when your rock starts getting purple you can't see it.

AquaStick Epoxy 2 oz. Red Coralline by Two Little Fishes - AquaCave

Tags
build, reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com