Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-22-2011, 10:27 AM   #611
Aquarium Advice Addict

Am thinking I should set up the fluval first, cause I can't see again, would that help clear the water faster?

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:29 AM   #612
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yep, I think it will. Good to start getting water moving through it too. Are you going to put all biomedia in it or use the included media? I have mostly fluval bio media in mine with one level having filter floss in it.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:29 AM   #613
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
Some people use the epoxy in tubes, it comes in different colors so when your rock starts getting purple you can't see it.

AquaStick Epoxy 2 oz. Red Coralline by Two Little Fishes - AquaCave

Thanks but I didn't want it that permanent yet, I figured if I use the zip ties, then if I changed things as I know I will then I can just cut the zip ties.

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Old 07-22-2011, 10:32 AM   #614
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
Yep, I think it will. Good to start getting water moving through it too. Are you going to put all biomedia in it or use the included media? I have mostly fluval bio media in mine with one level having filter floss in it.
No clue yet, I gotta open the box. I don't know anything about any type of "media's" yet.

Gonna open it now.

You saw the cabinet, whatcha think left side or right? I don't know the maintenance of it yet. Does it require alot, cause if so then I probably should put it on the right, away from the wall, since eventually there will be another tank there, and would be easier to get to.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:35 AM   #615
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok, it's all on the coffee table and it looks SCAREY and very daunting. This is gonna take a bit to figure out and my gosh what a thick users manual. Hopefully it's in 1,000 languages lol, cause I only know one. hehehe

Here I go.................D I V I N G I N !!!

Old 07-22-2011, 10:46 AM   #616
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The actual unit itself will detach from the hoses so anywhwre is fine as long as you have access to remove the canister. I used to clean mine every 2-3 weeks to keep the nitrates down.

The book has alot of stuff you wont need so dont be scared! LOL The instructions are spot on and very precise. I'm not the most mecahnically savvy person and I got mine right together.

Good luck!! if you need anything just ask!
Old 07-22-2011, 11:39 AM   #617
Aquarium Advice Addict

The way the instructions say is to have the hose straight. But if I divide my tank in half then place one in center of each half wouldn't that be better than right next to each other?

Also, the round cylinder things. Those the "bioballs"?

Old 07-22-2011, 12:08 PM   #618
Aquarium Advice Addict

Im going to be honest guy or should I say girls.. I wouldn't place any type of plastic other then somthing made from HDPE it LDPE.. Period. Any type of plastic such as RPVC is horrible... the amount of toxins released from the salt water degrading it over time is horrible. I work in the plastics industry and would tell you its not good stuff..
Old 07-22-2011, 12:10 PM   #619
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith
Im going to be honest guy or should I say girls.. I wouldn't place any type of plastic other then somthing made from HDPE it LDPE.. Period. Any type of plastic such as RPVC is horrible... the amount of toxins released from the salt water degrading it over time is horrible. I work in the plastics industry and would tell you its not good stuff..
Edit: I should mention acrylic and polycarbonate are completly acceptable as well... didn't want someone to flame for those...
Old 07-22-2011, 12:50 PM   #620
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
Edit: I should mention acrylic and polycarbonate are completly acceptable as well... didn't want someone to flame for those...
I wasn't sure if they were made with the pvc material, as I see people use that. Thanks for the info.

Filter not done. Had to run to bank. Getting hot out. Gonna get my bike ride in before it gets to hot

Later ya'll

Tags
build, reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com