Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-22-2011, 01:03 PM   #621
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I have many, many feet of PVC hooking up my tank and have used it in commercial settings as well for many years. It's no good?

Old 07-22-2011, 01:45 PM   #622
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote
I have many, many feet of PVC hooking up my tank and have used it in commercial settings as well for many years. It's no good?
Pvc used in ultilites like pvc plumbing is fine there's additives used to insure chemical bond during extrusion...

But zip ties don't have it.. that's for sure ...

And make sure you clean them with soap and water they are manufactured using reprocessed water over and over again and who knows what other types of chemicals are used at that facility.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:04 PM   #623
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just so you can see how tubing is manufactured ( the one in picture I believe was LDPE).. that large tank has water circulating around inside .. the excess water is drained and re processed.. thoughout the facility. I think you can see where water is draining in to a trench... that water to gets put back in... so you guys can just imagine what type of stuff is on that pvc stock you buy at lowes...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20110722_125647.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	44820   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20110722_125946.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	44822  

Old 07-22-2011, 02:13 PM   #624
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry buffy for highjacking your thread.just wanted to stress how important it is to clean you items made of plastic..
Old 07-22-2011, 05:31 PM   #625
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Excellent info for us all.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:48 PM   #626
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote
Excellent info for us all.
I know you have been doing this longer then a majority of us in this hobby but after a long discussion with my co workers we think the life span of pvc piping would be around 20+ years ... before degradation now this is in an application where there is continuous flow... not standing water..PVC is not recommended for holding water.. there is two gentalmen whom are reefers who use FPVC tubing rated for drinking water.. but switch them out every few years... and strongly disagree using PVC tubing for their tanks.. because of the long term effects associated with studies from the FDA. Just thought I would add to what's been said.. now there's no reason to go out in switch because of what studies have shown on the health effects on humans just error on the side of caution when used for a long time.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:36 PM   #627
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

These are things that simply weren't understood when I originally set up my reef. What else was a layman to use? Tank was too big to use all vinyl hoses. Back then Bio balls was the true religion. Lucky to still have fish and coral still alive! I think this thread has been excellent in describing some hard choices, that by using information I didn't have will reduce the number of flushed fish and coral.

How about flexible PVC pipe? As bad or worse?
Old 07-23-2011, 01:47 AM   #628
Aquarium Advice Addict

ok, day turned out alot longer than I thought, just got home, am a tad bit tired (haven't slept since wednesday morning). I wanted to get my tank fixed up with everything that came in. I am soooo sorry I did get to it.

Gotta sleep, can't keep eyes open any longer. Hopefully I don't get side tracked again tomorrow. Nite all.

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 05:10 PM   #629
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
Sorry buffy for highjacking your thread.just wanted to stress how important it is to clean you items made of plastic..

Don't worry bout it jsmith. Excellent information. Am so glad you brought that information to the forum and hopefully others will be able to take that into their considerations with their tanks too.

We all know it's still OP choice but least they will have more information to make decisions with. Thank you again.

Well as you all can see I still haven't got my stuff together. As I said yesterday, I was exhausted well. I just woke up after 15 hours. Still tired but this must have been my burn day. I have them every couple of months where I finally just get so worn down that I sleep for a very long time sometimes as long as 22 hours.

I can still go back to sleep but as with other burn days, I don't and just takes me a little longer to get moving.

I will still be finishing up what I planned to do with my tank shortly. Soon as this "jet lag" from my burn moves on.

So if zip ties are kosher then I will try using them, not much I want to do with it but I'll leave a spot with that in mind. Right now goal is to get that big rock down to the bottom, finish installing the canister, get the lights on and the power heads on.

Question--though I have no live stock, I have 6 bulbs 3 white 3 blue. Is there a particular order I use? ie rotate every other or 3 blue in back 3 white in front or vice versa or is it just OP preference?

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 05:34 PM   #630
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'd setup the bulbs so that all are on there own switch. You wanna have whites all on one and blues on the other.

Tags
build, reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com