Buffy's 1st Ever SW Build - Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh and I think the wait will be a little longer lol, can't put my finger on the problem like I thought.

Cause see I realized my Brute was green the other night LOL. So I dumped that water and made a 10 gallon which I know is FG approved. Still pH problem somewhere, so that isn't the problem like I thought and really was hoping for. I'm hoping he can get the Hanna done right so I rely on it. I wish this GFO would work a little faster lol.

Few Pictures

So here's a few pictures of my icky tank. It's not gonna stay icky though. :)

Watch your temps. The tank looks fine to me. A blank canvas ready for critters. Glad you got to the bottom of the PH issues. As an engineer and high time pilot, I have learned that devices and instruments are only as good as their last calibration. If it looks odd, it needs to be verified before taking action on it. Keep up the good work.

Thanks. Am watching temps.

Does anyone know how I can find out what my actual flow movement in the tank is?? Any flow meters out there that can just measure the flow in a container without being hooked to pipes or hoses?

Does the elegance coral normally look like a closed up clam when the lights are out?

Looks good buffy, all I see are possibilities when I look at your rock. :) Sooo many places for corals to sit! LOL

Thanks, I got one rock I keep messing with, it's on the right. I want it level but it's heavy and the other rocks don't fit well enough to balance it so it's leaning forward.

Got home today and my heaters were sitting outside the door. Woohoo, delivery must have came just after I left for work.

Have all 3 in tank now. Got about 10 minutes left then I can plug them in and go to bed.

After I sort through bills this week, I'm thinking about placing a live aquaria order. I got to figure that out by thursday during the day so I can call them and have them ready for pick up on Saturday.

I have the 20 gallon tank, the silicone and the plexiglass ready for me to cut. Hope to do that this weekend. Got to do research cause I've not a clue how to build a sump.

I have a 10 gallon I will be using for qt if I get fish. Don't know what I would get first though cause there's sooooooooo much to choose from.

HEADLINE: Fish in Buffy's Tank?

So if I'm gonna get any fish this weekend, I need to order today for pickup.

I'm not even sure what I want first. I need to make a lid of some sort for Wrasses. I like alot of those.

So I'd like to get a few fish (by few fish, I mean a pair that you should buy together if you are going to keep more than one) this weekend and a few corals (with my checkbooks' permission that is).

Well I just went through the pictures and read up a little on the fish. Dang it Scott's Fairey Wrasse needs at least 125 gallon. It one I've been wanting to get. Looks like I'm gonna have to get a bigger tank eventually.

Anyway, am looking at Wrasses, Anthias, Basslets, Blennies, Chromis (the blue blue one) or Gobies.

I'd like maybe 3 or four coral but can't decide either. Seem like I keep leaning toward neon colors, and I just love some of the Aussie corals.

Anyone got any suggestions? Which fish and how many can be happily and healthy kept in Buffy's 75 Gallon?

I'll check back later. Bed time. Hopefully I can decide what I want and get the call in on time today before I go to work so I can make pick up the order on Saturday.

Buffy said:
So if I'm gonna get any fish this weekend, I need to order today for pickup.

I'm not even sure what I want first. I need to make a lid of some sort for Wrasses. I like alot of those.

So I'd like to get a few fish (by few fish, I mean a pair that you should buy together if you are going to keep more than one) this weekend and a few corals (with my checkbooks' permission that is).

Well I just went through the pictures and read up a little on the fish. Dang it Scott's Fairey Wrasse needs at least 125 gallon. It one I've been wanting to get. Looks like I'm gonna have to get a bigger tank eventually.

Anyway, am looking at Wrasses, Anthias, Basslets, Blennies, Chromis (the blue blue one) or Gobies.

I'd like maybe 3 or four coral but can't decide either. Seem like I keep leaning toward neon colors, and I just love some of the Aussie corals.

Anyone got any suggestions? Which fish and how many can be happily and healthy kept in Buffy's 75 Gallon?

I'll check back later. Bed time. Hopefully I can decide what I want and get the call in on time today before I go to work so I can make pick up the order on Saturday.

I would get a Sixline Wrasse, but those need to be added last to the tank. They harass new additions.

The "blue blue" chromis are officially called blue reef chromis FYI, and I have never seen them at the LFS. You should buy them online.

They have some ricordia mushrooms that look neon. My green and orange ones glow in the dark practically.

A Midas Blenny is a must, IMO. So cool!!!

I would get a Sixline Wrasse, but those need to be added last to the tank. They harass new additions.

The "blue blue" chromis are officially called blue reef chromis FYI, and I have never seen them at the LFS. You should buy them online.

They have some ricordia mushrooms that look neon. My green and orange ones glow in the dark practically.

A Midas Blenny is a must, IMO. So cool!!!

I called it a blue blue because of the blue green one and the blue one was almost same color as the blue green one. Maybe it was just the way the picture was displayed but the one I want is the Blue Reef Chromis because it is soooooooo blue. LOL

The LFS I would be getting them from is about an hour away, so maybe it's not so local. IDK But I consider this my lfs and will be getting most of my livestock from Live Aquaria/Divers Den (unless I find what I want cheaper elsewhere of course). I have petco and petsmart but I don't go there except for dog food and to browse their stuff and maybe get a couple maintenance things.

There's a few fish I want that says to add last. How can I add the fish last when alot say that LOL.

So I'm at a loss what to get.

I do plan on a blenny, just haven't decided which, am kinda looking at the engineer. I want more CUC too and maybe a few more shrimp but I don't know yet what I can get and what will be okay with each other yet.

Ugg gotta get to work or I'm gonna be late.

hey buffy, i just looked through all my bookmarks and i got nothing left but a few articles on a dsb. what about a sump where you wanting to know or find out? maybe i can look some stuff up.

An engineer goby?? I LOVE mine! He was out free swimming today, which he's never done before. If you wanna see true pics of a mature one, I have a few. Def cool looking

The Chromis are easy to care for and relatively inexpensive. Frogspawn is an easy LPS. Frags of Kenya tree coral will point out any salinity or ph issues. Green star polyps will spread if the tank is running right as well.

hey buffy, i just looked through all my bookmarks and i got nothing left but a few articles on a dsb. what about a sump where you wanting to know or find out? maybe i can look some stuff up.

It was sump info I was wanting. I want to get one together as a combo refugium/sump. I can't put it under my tank so I will be putting it on a stand next to it. I'm thinking the best and safest place will be perpendicular so that it will look like an L. LOL turn the L upside down and the long part of the L being the sump and the short part being the tank position.

An engineer goby?? I LOVE mine! He was out free swimming today, which he's never done before. If you wanna see true pics of a mature one, I have a few. Def cool looking

But of course I wanna see pictures LOL. Can you have more than goby, like a blennie and an engineer?

The Chromis are easy to care for and relatively inexpensive. Frogspawn is an easy LPS. Frags of Kenya tree coral will point out any salinity or ph issues. Green star polyps will spread if the tank is running right as well.

I thought they would be but again, says to add last. Looks like my first fish may be dart fish.

I don't want any corals or anything that spreads. I'm hesitant on mushrooms too. I don't want big big stuff, I want a colorful variety.

Of course:) I had a scooter blenny in with my engineer. The blenny was 2 inches long...my gkby...well yeah just look at him, and the goby didn't even mind him. Only thing with an engineer is they don't free swim her often, but they do mysteriously poke their heads out all over the tank lol. Its pretty neat. Here's a pic as well. Finally, after 4 months, caught him fully exposed.

Im sorry buffy, I can't get the pic to show up, and not to promote my thread but I did post the pic 2-3 pages back on my threaif you still wanna see him:)

Back
Top Bottom