Buffy's 1st Ever SW Build - Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh me oh my what fishies can I?

I'm trying to figure out what to get first and whether to get pairs or not and if the ones I like would be compatible.

Elegant/Purple Fire Fish (Nemateleotris Decora)
Bartlett's Anthias (Pseudanthias Bartlettorum)
Coral Beauty Angelfish (Centropyge bispinosa)
Lemonpeel Angelfish (Centropyge flavissima)
Gold Maroon Clownfish (Premnas biaculeatus)
Blue Mandarin (Synchiropus splendidus)
Scott's Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus scottorum)
Pink Margin Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus rubrimarginatus)
McCosker's Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus mccoskeri)
Six Line Wrasse (Pseudocheilinus hexataenia)
Four Line Wrasse (Pseudocheilinus tetrataenia)
Indigo Dottyback (Pseudochromis fridmani x sankeyi)
Half Black Mimic (TangAcanthurus pyroferus )
Chocolate Tang (Acanthurus pyroferus)
Rainbow Wrasse (Thalassoma quinquevittatum)
Blue Sided Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus cyanopleura)
Royal Pencil Wrasse (Pseudojuloides severnsi)
Velvet Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus luteovittatus)
Lineatus Fairy Wrasse( Cirrhilabrus linneatus)

CUC
Banded Coral Shrimp, Blue (Stenopus tenuirostris)
Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis)
Peppermint Shrimp (Lysmata wurdemanni)
More Snails but I don't know how many or what ones.

Anyone care to help narrow my list? I know I can't get all these LOL.

Im sorry buffy, I can't get the pic to show up, and not to promote my thread but I did post te pic 2-3 pages back on my threaif you still wanna see him:)

Thanks for trying, I'll go to your thread, think I'm already "subscribed" anyway LOL. Don't worry, you're not promoting LOL, you're telling me where to find the pics. Thanks again. I got alot of threads to catch up on.

I'm trying to figure out what to get first and whether to get pairs or not and if the ones I like would be compatible.

CUC

Quite the list there buffy! LOL

You know to wait on the mandarin and I would wait on the angel fish and the anthias as well. And you also should only have one angel fish so pick the one you like the most.

I think as far as the others go you should pick two or so and go with it. :)

Buffy said:

CUC

Purple firefish!!!
And i agree i enjoy pretty much all the fairy wrasses

Quite the list there buffy! LOL

You know to wait on the mandarin and I would wait on the angel fish and the anthias as well. And you also should only have one angel fish so pick the one you like the most.

I think as far as the others go you should pick two or so and go with it. :)

Yep I knew to wait on the mandarin and angel too, didn't know to wait on anthias. Figured only one angel but didn't know which would be "more" compatible.

You mean 2 of each of the others or 2 other fish total?

Doing more research and found there are more goby's I like. So I need to do a process of elimination. First to go would be the least compatible. Same with the wrasses. Gosh I don't know what to do LMAO. So can I have like all the wrasses and goby's on my list and well maybe 2 other goby's I saw that aren't listed and of course the firefish cause it's a goby too hehehe and later the coral beauty angelfish and the dotty back and half black mimic tang or chocolate tang (not both, don't think I can).

So mostly my tank would end up being "Buffy's Goby/Wrasse Tank" a scattering of other "gotta haves" instead of a mixed reef. LMAO

Purple firefish!!!
And i agree i enjoy pretty much all the fairy wrasses

I know I know, I'm sooooooo wanting them all.

I really really really want the Picasso Triggerfish and the Blonde Naso Tang but am pretty sure my tank is too small for them.

Egg Crate from Home Depot ok to keep these little buggers inside? Also I'm thinking of starting maybe with danggggggggggg I don't know lmao. Can't decide, goby, fire, or wrasse or which and how many. Help!!!!!!!! lmao oh jeez and I'm still struggling not to buy all the dang corals and stuff too. :eek::lol::eek::lol:

Do the goby's need to be qt'd also, like the Yellow Watchman and Yellow Nose Prawn or the Rainfordi Goby which are not on that list lmao.

Picasso is a no, not so much because of size, but more because of the aggression, your wrasses wont fair well with a trigger:( mine actually killed our pink face wrasse within hours of buying him. also cant remember if its been mentioned but the MaY clown is one of the most aggressive clown. its ok to have 1 or 2 of them but im not sure if you can mix them with say a b&w or ocellaris..

Trigger fish are very cool and easy to keep. They warrant their own tank in my opinion. They are smart and true wrecking machines. Some keep them in reefs, but I would say it is not a great idea as they do bite stuff and will dismantle shrimp in an instant.
Pick one species of clown fish and stick to it. Your tank is way too small to host multiple varieties, or even multiple morphs of clown fish. I would get a pair of plain ocellaris, one slightly larger than the other.
6 line wrasse, canary wrasse, many varieties to choose from and they tend to get along okay.
A cleaner goby is a standard, so are fire fish, but the different varieties of fire fish do not get along well at all.

Picasso is a no, not so much because of size, but more because of the aggression, your wrasses wont fair well with a trigger:( mine actually killed our pink face wrasse within hours of buying him. also cant remember if its been mentioned but the MaY clown is one of the most aggressive clown. its ok to have 1 or 2 of them but im not sure if you can mix them with say a b&w or ocellaris..

I know they are a no no :-( but I still want one lol. Yes it's been mentioned about the maroon clowns, but I'm still gonna get them. I'm not gonna get them til I can get two as a pair. I don't want any other clowns with them, if I get other clowns they will go in a different tank.

Trigger fish are very cool and easy to keep. They warrant their own tank in my opinion. They are smart and true wrecking machines. Some keep them in reefs, but I would say it is not a great idea as they do bite stuff and will dismantle shrimp in an instant.
Pick one species of clown fish and stick to it. Your tank is way too small to host multiple varieties, or even multiple morphs of clown fish. I would get a pair of plain ocellaris, one slightly larger than the other.
6 line wrasse, canary wrasse, many varieties to choose from and they tend to get along okay.
A cleaner goby is a standard, so are fire fish, but the different varieties of fire fish do not get along well at all.

See above LOL, I don't think I mentioned getting multiple kinds of clown fish. I am only going to have the maroon's in my 75.

I kinda figured that on the fire fish, but wasn't sure, I'm still checking. I don't want 2 of every fish I buy but I don't want just one "color" of that fish either LOL. Gotsta do more research on that.

I'm thinking of starting with wrasses, firefish or goby's. I don't want to overstock nor do I want to add to much at once. I figure once I decide what I'm gonna get, I will start with that, then after they go in the tank, get another one or two (one if I only get one of that kind and 2 at a time if I get a pair) and qt those. So that pretty much I will have qt fish going for a little bit. I'm not buy wrasses and firefish and goby's at the same time. Gonna buy one kind qt, when that goes display, then buy another and qt and so forth. I'm thinking that after the 3 kinds mentioned then waiting awhile, and only add some snails and stuff while I'm getting my first fish going and also a coral here and there.

Ok just wasn't sure:) my son LOVES our MaY clown...that's the only reason we still have him. Can't complain though because when you turn the moonlights on, he looks like a b&w ..

:). I like alot of the clown fish, but that one just stands out because of I like to two colors together. Plus at an LFS I was at one time, had different clowns of different sizes. And those just had me staring at them soooo there ya have it, they hypnotized me while I was standing there and said...BUFFY, YOU WILL ONLY BUY US...REMEMBER WE'RE THE MAROON GOLDILOCKS. and they said it over and over again LMAO.

Finally finished the last of the plumbing in the bathrooms and kitchen. Got whisked away just as I finished up at 6 and just got home. I still gotta do my light tonite. Wow gonna be along nite. Gotta be out the door for 8ish too. Come home round noon, scarf up the dog or the daughter and grandkids (the or is because dog won't fit with them so if they don't go he goes for a ride...WOOF WOOF) and drive 2 1/2 south to a fish store, then home to qt what I buy, cause I do plan on buying SOMETHING when I'm there, be it a fishie, coral, shrimp or snails, I'm buying something LOL,.

So Carey's Fish Day was today, gotta get over to her threads and see what she got. Tomorrow's my "Fish Day", stay tuned for what I bring home.

I'm not gonna get to fish store til bout 4pm. I'm gonna bring my laptop, is easier & faster than my phone so hopefully I can hit a hot spot & google anything I need to figure out before I buy.

So stay tuned....hopefully nothing pops up to stop my trip.

So my lights are on the floor again. I have drilled the hole in my ceiling and found that I didn't hit a joist. So now I get to go up into the crawl space and itchy insulation and install a 2 x 4 for support, well at least I've done that before (in a different and much older house). 5am, taking a nap. Gonna get busy at 8. Guess I'll be doing that later tonite after my fish trip.

Gonna set up my qt tank before I go just in case I come home with treasures woohoo. Oh would be nice to see a fish swimming around, instead of searching for my shrimps, crabs and snails. Wow that almost sounds like I have a disease LOL.

Well time to take the blankets, towels and lids off the tank that I used to protect it and hoist the lights back up there so when the timer goes off they are ready to go.

Obstacles and more obstacles but I'm plugging away. Gosh I hope my critters survive. I'm exhausted but I think I should do the water change while the light is off lol. Gotta run, check salinity again. Oh please be ready so I can get a nap in.

Later ya'll, have a great day. I know I will :) especially if I get a fishie hehehehe.

:). I like alot of the clown fish, but that one just stands out because of I like to two colors together. Plus at an LFS I was at one time, had different clowns of different sizes. And those just had me staring at them soooo there ya have it, they hypnotized me while I was standing there and said...BUFFY, YOU WILL ONLY BUY US...REMEMBER WE'RE THE MAROON GOLDILOCKS. and they said it over and over again LMAO.
Haha same here. My friend told me that they were close enought to our school colors (burgundy and gold) and that I should get one for my 29 gallon. BUT if it got 6 inches, that would be so cruel. And I already have cloens in my other tank. MAYBE if I get a 55 gallon FOWLR. Hehehe.

Can't wait to see what you pick up today Buffy! I postponed my friday fish shopping til Monday :) I need to see some new fish, so buy something cool.
lol

Can't wait to see what you pick up today Buffy! I postponed my friday fish shopping til Monday :) I need to see some new fish, so buy something cool.
lol

Trip cancelled, so nothing cool today :-(

Set alarm wrong and woke up to bathroom, laundry room and kitchen floors under water up to my ankles!!! Wow was that a cold eye opener. Needless to say I wanted to nap for an hour cause I was making water and well go figure my 32 gallon blute was overflowing. So gotta find my shop vac manual online and see if I can find everything for it.

I only have just so many blankets and towels to lay on floors lol and that wasn't enough.

Aw heck I turned off the water, maybe I should just go back to bed and start over and let nature's evaporation clean it up.

Ouch. Bummer. Need to invest in a float valve. Pure Water Club has them. Make sure you get the cut off for the waste line too. Well worth it.

Heading out. Not going south to that fish store as I won't make it before they close so I'm going north instead lol to Drs.F&S.

They close in lest than 2 1/2 hrs and it's an hour, so gotta boogie.

50 years and ...

After going through everything life has and continues to throw at me I have overcome and. Survived, few times literally, I have finally made one of my dreams come true. So celebrate cause I am able to make one of my dreams come true so can you! :) My dream .... to have Saltwater Fish. WOOHOO! I DID IT! There's a party in the house and I am doing the jig. I don't care where you're from that's some good happy shi@!

Pics soon :)

Back
Top Bottom