Buffy's 1st Ever SW Build - Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My staff and family have both learned when to listen to me and when to shrug me off. Good for them. It is how folks survive around me as my life is very intense. My son works for me now, so I must not have been too bad to be around. It's why I have a reef, to calm down.

Thanks for answering guys, but I didn't read. Don't want to. Very rough day at work and all I'm gonna say for tonite, is thank you for your help and Mr. Redstir is worse.

Just stick it out as best as possible, I know others have said it numerous times, but getting through crappy moments like this will lead you to great times after:)

Thanks everyone. Mr. Redstir is not doing any better. Everyone else appears good. They all ate last night. Once they realized it was food they all darted around snatching it up even my timid firefish.

Mr. Redstir soon to be demise is my fault. I have read they can survive but its not common. I acclimated him too fast. I used drip process but should have dripped slower.

Glad yours is doing good coffeewitch :)

Qt tank care? Any input? Tips?

I think I found a carpenter to build my stands if the details work out.:)

Thanks all. I'm not moving him. Qt tank info need is can I use ammonia block or something in it. I have my 3 fish in it still. Ro/di and heating problems so can't pwc.

Mr. Redstir is still flying his entrails around except this time from his center. Looked like last night and this morning his leg tips were starting to heal over. But he probably will not live, but I read it takes a long time to grow a leg back and I also read that they have their organs in their legs too and they have been know to grow a body back too. Soo, we'll just wait and see for now.

Bought some Prime for my qt tank. Won't be able to make water til tomorrow night and I have to scarf a heater from somewhere, I don't want to buy from an expensive hardware store. Won't have time to go to petco or petsmart, so looks like my 75 is only gonna run on 1 100 watt while I'm making the water. It's only got 2 in now cause I had to swipe the 3rd for the qt tank.

Fishies in qt still appear to be doing good so far. I'm feeding them every other day. So far I don't see any spots or weird things hanging from them. Eyes are still in their heads and their body parts are still intack.

I'm going to leave my light where it is for now. Once I find out if I'm gonna have a stand made then when it is done, I'll be moving my tank. Except this time I'm gonna hang the light before I put the new stand in place. IDK maybe I'll just move it to a different spot all together. I'll have to think bout that one.

Off to do more research on sumps and stuff.

Good to hear that your tank is doing well, with the exception of mr redstir. A new stand would be awesome for you, give you a chance to start working on a sump. :) Then the real fun begins LOL

Mr. Redstir is gone now.

The 3 in qt are doing good so far still.

Otherwise nothing new going on. I'm not planning any new acquistions for a while. Have a few things I'd like to get done first. Like a new stand if that works out. Don't want to add anything til I see how that pans out.

Thats a tough situation buffy, poor starfish. :-( maybe one day after you've established your tank you can try another one. serpent stars are alos very good, much more hardy than the regular star fish. :)

I'm handling it good, thank for your thoughts though. I believe he passed away because of me. I believe I acclimated him wrong. I plan on having one again after I move my tank, hang my lights, build sump/refugium yet. So I am still gonna be busy. Don't want to add any corals either the less livestock I move the better.

I think since I need to break the tank down that I'm gonna paint the back. What color black or blue? If blue what shade? What kind of paint do I use? Carey? You're well versed in painting tanks LOL.

I plan on using my 2 20gal and my 40 to transfer everything into, I'd use my 55 but it was a **** of a struggle to get it on top of the entertainment center in the bedroom by myself. No it's not got water, it's just up there out of the way for now. I'll get a real stand for it before I put anything in it. LOL

I haven't heard anything about the stand yet, but I work on Tuesday so I'll go track him down and talk to him.

So if I didn't say it, I've decided to leave my stand where it is just move it further from the wall so my light can be centerered. I may move it a few inches further from the other wall too just so I have ample room "in case".

I'd like to get a set of moonlights or something that I can turn on for when the regular lights go out. I wanna be able to look at my tank and it not be dead dark in there. 48" long x 18"w with the nova extreme pro 6 bulb SETTING on it now.

Just one strip? Does it have to be 48"? Can I use a submersible bulb/fixture type tying? Cheap please, Any suggestions?

Thanks everyone. Riding my bike to Walmart now (15+ one way I think). Sounds like only 2 warm days left.

Tonight is pwc night. Can I clean my Fluval 405 and Phosphate Reactor also, or do those need to be done on a different day?

hey buffy if you dont mind more input ive had great luck with krylon fusion (3 tanks)and my new favorite is automotive spray paint(1tank). plus then you have alot of color choices.

last can i used was dupli color.

i too am partial to black but sweety pie wanted something different for the ram tank. so to the auto parts store i went and now she has a metalic silver back ground for that tank.

Back
Top Bottom