Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-29-2011, 08:47 PM   #721
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote
I would rather kill a small frag of colt coral, than a nice fish or crab when starting out. If the colt coral deploys and grows, you can be pretty sure a fish will be fine. Maybe backwards to some, but a colt coral doesn't have dead little eyes looking at you accusingly as you flush it.
No I agree you can get cheap 10 dollar frags.. beats paying 40 bucks for a 6 head frogspawn just to realize somthings wrong...

Old 07-30-2011, 11:04 AM   #722
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank is on hold.

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 11:13 AM   #723
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
I would rather kill a small frag of colt coral, than a nice fish or crab when starting out. If the colt coral deploys and grows, you can be pretty sure a fish will be fine. Maybe backwards to some, but a colt coral doesn't have dead little eyes looking at you accusingly as you flush it.
I agree better to lose $10 then $100 Buffy just do some PWC's youll get those trates down Remember take your time your getting down to the wire dont want to trip now

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:33 PM   #724
Aquarium Advice Addict

True. Not worried bout rushing.

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Old 07-30-2011, 08:05 PM   #725
Aquarium Advice Addict

Removed all pictures. Starting to feel a little human. Got a couple things on my new live rock. I'll take pic shortly and post.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:27 PM   #726
Aquarium Advice Addict

Probe placement

Where is the best place to place the temperature probe for the most overall tank and accuracy?

It's the Lifegard Little time or temp.

Thanks

Old 07-30-2011, 08:37 PM   #727
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I don't think it matters much. The idea is to try to keep it constant. I guess near the outflow of your canister filter might do fine. Tank temperature 76-80 deg doesn't seem to matter much, but too much of a swing does. Without a chiller you need to set your heater to maintain the tanks maximum temperature when your house is the warmest and the lights have been on for a while. That might end up being closer to 78-79 degrees.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:46 PM   #728
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks

Ok so I have a refractometer now. I got just a small problem, if I can't read the temperature lines, on the thermometers, how am I supposed to see the little lines between the major division lines in the eyepiece of the refractometer. It's above 1.025 but I can't tell if it's 1.026 or 7. Them are some pretty tiny lines (yes I have it in focus lol). (My hydrometer the swing arm cheap one says 1.022). Big difference.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:27 PM   #729
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Look at where the line appears when the refractometer has RO/DI water on it. That is zero. It may be at the top of the line, middle or bottom, just depends on how it was calibrated. Throw the swing arm away. They vary way too much to be useful. Use a bright light source, it helps focus.

Refractometers can lie as well. Load a sample, look at it, then dry the unit and load another sample. if they agree, you are done.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:44 PM   #730
Aquarium Advice Addict

New Hitchhikers

Ok so I bought 3 more pieces of live rock, there are some hitchhikers making an appearance. I'm gonna post some pictures of them. I'd like to id them before I move them because there's some like on both sides, and I don't want to crush any. They are in my dt, I just want to know if possible before placing them. I think one is a mushroom so I believe I need to keep that face up right?

Thanks

1st pic is the skinny black thing in the crevice, it has two legs coming out so far thou at the moment is one. It has lots of "feet" along the leg. There's this one and then one on another rock but can't get pic of it, they appear to be the same thing.

2nd pic Is the round ball. There was a snail on this rock somewhere and I thought I saw it move but can't find it now.

3rd & 4th pic I think is a mushroom of some sort. Looks like it's falling off. Near the horseshoe crevice is a few holes, there was this long tenacle that came out, was an off white color, smooth looking but when I shine the light on it, it goes back inside, I move the light away it starts to come back out, and now well I guess it got tired of playing the game.

Tags
build, reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com