Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-05-2011, 03:32 PM   #801
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
No no skimmer just 80 lbs LR 4in. dsb and 20% PWC's weekly I run the carbon for one week every 5 weeks My TrAtes hover around 5.ppm Fish, Potters angel, false perc Clown, YWG, gramma and a blue crugemon Goby (*SP) 90g
**edit** also a bit of cyano showed up 2 days ago Dont let the Mrs feed your fish
So I'm not needing a skimmer now? I was trying to save up for it before I got any fish.

Side note......Yeah no fish yet, no nothing.......am procrastinating and that's part of the reason the rock isn't done....I'm chicken to get to the stage where I can actually buy a fish or coral. lol

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:41 PM   #802
Aquarium Advice Addict

Personally I would take out the carbon and put the poly fill in that place.

There are different thoughts on the subject but I go by: The only time you should really be using carbon is when you are putting medication into your tank, but you really should be using a QT for that so you shouldn't ever need to use carbon. I guess the only exception to that is when having a fishy smell, it can help with that but there is another underlying problem if you have a fishy smell and carbon is just a cover up.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:13 PM   #803
Aquarium Advice Addict

"Grizz, 400-do you just fill the two sides? Do you use any rubble in there? Do you put the fill in the media trays or toss in?"

Just the poly-fill in fill both sides with a double hand full but not so tightly packed that the water cant flow through it Then once a week i pull it all out and rinse it in my old water just squeeze it like a sponge a few times fluff it and back it goes

**edit** IMO no one needs a skimmer all it does is filter out the detritus same thing the poly-fill does except at much faster rate. I run carbon every 5th week just to polish the water (Let the flames begin )

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:35 PM   #804
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz
"Grizz, 400-do you just fill the two sides? Do you use any rubble in there? Do you put the fill in the media trays or toss in?"

Just the poly-fill in fill both sides with a double hand full but not so tightly packed that the water cant flow through it Then once a week i pull it all out and rinse it in my old water just squeeze it like a sponge a few times fluff it and back it goes

**edit** IMO no one needs a skimmer all it does is filter out the detritus same thing the poly-fill does except at much faster rate. I run carbon every 5th week just to polish the water (Let the flames begin )
I be been running carbon for year on a regular basis. This is news to me
Old 08-05-2011, 05:50 PM   #805
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I run carbon to keep the coral toxins at bay. When you mix so many different species, you have to do something and carbon is what works.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:56 PM   #806
Aquarium Advice Addict

My father started salt water when he returned from from Vietnam in the 70s .. one thing he swears by is carbon...
Old 08-05-2011, 06:01 PM   #807
Aquarium Advice Addict

So far then in my 400, I will use polyfill.

what's the purpose of using rubble in the filters?

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:05 PM   #808
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy
So far then in my 400, I will use polyfill.

what's the purpose of using rubble in the filters?
The same purpose you use it in your tank hun. Just on a first contact basis.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:35 PM   #809
Aquarium Advice Addict

I can understand the need with mixed corals they love to nuke each other but im cheap and dont want it removing the stuff that i pay extra for when i buy my salt mix

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:01 PM   #810
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think im going to pull my carbon out just run the filter floss and biomedia.... see how that does... just shh.. don't tell my father.

Tags
build, reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com