Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-08-2011, 01:45 AM   #821
Aquarium Advice Addict

No livestock yet :-(

Test results still stink. I'm wondering if my test kit is bad. Expiration dates are supposedly good still. But after a few water changes, the results are still exactly the same.

Salinity 1.026
ph 8.2
Ammonia <.25 but not 0
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 80 ppm
Temp 81.5

I hate having to use color. My reading can be pretty much close to whatever I want depending on how I hold it in the lite, so which one would therefore be correct? Well I choose the highest I see, though like with nitrate, I can see 80 or I can see 20. Ph I can almost let it become 8.4 also.

Oh and I had a little starfish but he looks like he lost a leg somewhere. He had 5. But he is bigger. Also have a snail or two floating around.

Used Purple Up to see the flow, my water didn't get cloudy at all. I saw little "particulates" floating around, so I am assuming that's what I was looking for and as far as I can tell there are no dead spots.

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:55 AM   #822
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

i believe your supposed to hold the tube about an inch away from the card and look through it, all in decent lighting. some of the parameters wont change immediately after a pwc

huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:03 AM   #823
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by huma-huma View Post
i believe your supposed to hold the tube about an inch away from the card and look through it, all in decent lighting. some of the parameters wont change immediately after a pwc
How about after 3 or 4 pwc's?

I've held the tube every which way, under hmmm 7 different lights in 7 different rooms lol. I do that so I can get the most accurate. I've found one bathroom to be the best for the readings. My readings are still the same no matter how far or close (I do various). Hmm ok sounds like I'm rambling. I'm not, I (how to say this without sound witchy) lol, I know how to read the tests and tubes (from other experiences at work and testings/readings taken). The color chart needs some work, There needs to be more "dramatic" differences for accuracy. I looked into pinpoints and controllers and from their reviews, I'm not spending that kinda money if the accuracy is not really any different than these liquid tests.

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Old 08-08-2011, 03:42 AM   #824
Aquarium Advice Freak

Do you have a close lfs that will test sw for you just to confirm your readings ( have them write down the #s ) but I would suspect that your nitrate test is shot mine did the same
Old 08-08-2011, 06:29 AM   #825
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nice rock work. It just looks a little less on the right. And glad to see everything is coming along. Get ready to order your clean up crew cuz I'm sure you'll get those nitrates and ammonia down good luck.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:04 AM   #826
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

i used Red Sea test kits, and i noticed that the green stuff that settled in the "A" bottle of the first kit wasnt mixing when i would shake it up, so i ran it against a newer test and it was wayyy off.
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:54 PM   #827
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'll bring some water in today and see if they will test.

Thanks Ibrahim.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:01 PM   #828
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

You can get test kits that include an electronic colorimeter that will read the results more accurately that your eye can. Several podcasts that review these. Don't know what they cost, but can't be too bad.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:06 PM   #829
Aquarium Advice Addict

LFS Test Results

Ok, so I went to the only LFS here that could do tests.

Theirs:

ph 8.8
Ammonia 1.0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10

Mine:

ph 8.2
Ammonia <.25 but not 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 80

Big differences. I went to 3 different places today that carry tests. They either have strips, none or API, one place did carry individual tests brand name nutrafin, 11.00-15.00 per test. But jeepers creepers I JUST BOUGHT that kit in what may/june of this year. Money doesn't grown on trees, I work hard for that stuff to just go, "Oh, well I'll buy another one".

Ugg

So what would happen to my "live" rock, if I just turned everything off, said the heck with it for now and ordered new test stuff when I could afford it.

Seems like the ---- is hitting the fan. 5 weeks off and nothing to show for it. Shhhh no venting here, not cool not good. But dang it I can't even get my tank SUITABLE for habitation. GRRRR

Sorry i'll shhh

Old 08-08-2011, 05:20 PM   #830
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy
Ok, so I went to the only LFS here that could do tests.

Theirs:

ph 8.8
Ammonia 1.0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10

Mine:

ph 8.2
Ammonia <.25 but not 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 80

Big differences. I went to 3 different places today that carry tests. They either have strips, none or API, one place did carry individual tests brand name nutrafin, 11.00-15.00 per test. But jeepers creepers I JUST BOUGHT that kit in what may/june of this year. Money doesn't grown on trees, I work hard for that stuff to just go, "Oh, well I'll buy another one".

Ugg

So what would happen to my "live" rock, if I just turned everything off, said the heck with it for now and ordered new test stuff when I could afford it.

Seems like the ---- is hitting the fan. 5 weeks off and nothing to show for it. Shhhh no venting here, not cool not good. But dang it I can't even get my tank SUITABLE for habitation. GRRRR

Sorry i'll shhh
Didn't you just finish putting all your rock in.Patience is the key,don't try to rush things.You have your base rock in and some live rock,right?
I promise you that if you do this you will be good to go in two weeks or less.Turn your lights off and leave them off for at least a week.Keep everything else,filters,power heads and skimmer running 24/7.Test after a week and see then what readings you get.The bacteria from your live rock will have had time to spread to your other rock and sand and you will probably see a little junk in your skimmer cup.

Don't be moving the rock around,just let things run.

Good Luck

Tags
build, reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com