Buffy's 1st Ever SW Build - Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Agreed, superglue was actually invented for the army as an "instant stitch" that soldiers could apply out out the battlefield.

True story.

Leighton79 said:
Agreed, superglue was actually invented for the army as an "instant stitch" that soldiers could apply out out the battlefield.

True story.

Huh never knew that, pretty interesting deff gotta look into that lol

An easy way to make the move is to have a few people over to help.
1. Remove all livestock and put into a 5g bucket.
2. Drain the tank but store as much water possible in the 55g tank.
3. Clean out and remove everything from the stand.
4. Unplug all equipment and lighting and move it away.
5. Have 3 people lift the tank slowly so the rock structure doesnt fall apart and 1-2 people pull away the current stand and move the new one into place.
6. Place the tank on the stand and refill with water. Plug in equipment as well.
7. Wait two hours so everything settles then add live stock.
P.S
You could also add the live stock into the 55g instead of the bucket.

Hope that helps.

kurtyboh said:
Umm youre suggesting lifting the tank with all the lr and sand in it?

Agree,sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.The strain on the tank and possibility of rocks falling or moving is to great.

Ricksreef said:
Agree,sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.The strain on the tank and possibility of rocks falling or moving is to great.

Remove the rock aswell then. There would be no strain on the tank that it wont be able to handle as it's 10x when filled

But when its filled, its on a surface that supports th ENTIRE bottom, not creating stress points, then exagerating those points by twisting because one corner is higher than the other. One should only move empty tanks.

kurtyboh said:
But when its filled, its on a surface that supports th ENTIRE bottom, not creating stress points, then exagerating those points by twisting because one corner is higher than the other. One should only move empty tanks.

Either way each panel is supposed to hold at least 1/5th the weight it is when it's filled since the weight is distributed among the 5 panels. And the sand only is not even 1/10th the the weight when it's filled. If she doesn't want to risk having the rock in the tank, then she can take it apart then lay it out on a large plastic sheet. That's what I did when I was re-aquascaping.

Yes itcan handle the weight if there are no stress points, but no matter how careful whomever is moving the tank will twist a bit as one corner is lifted higher/faster and that can and more than likely will crack a tank.

I would advise scooping most of your sand out and putting it in buckets, using newspaper or paper towels to keep your lr wet longer isnt a bad idea either

kurtyboh said:
Yes itcan handle the weight if there are no stress points, but no matter how careful whomever is moving the tank will twist a bit as one corner is lifted higher/faster and that can and more than likely will crack a tank.

No matter how many stress points there are as long as glass where the stress point is can hold the weight, it won't crack. The only way it would crack is if 50lbs of sand is at one point of the glass. I moved my 5g recently with the sand and rock and it didn't crack. It's the sorta same thing but on a larger scale.

Moving a 75gal is in a different world than movung a 5. Youre suggesting that the glass is somehow 15x as strong, even though its not 15xs as thick. Small tanks are overengineered by necessity as glass as thin as would be comparable would be more expensive to make... Look at the thickness of the glass on your 5gal its the same thickness as tanks up to 30

kurtyboh said:
Moving a 75gal is in a different world than movung a 5. Youre suggesting that the glass is somehow 15x as strong, even though its not 15xs as thick. Small tanks are overengineered by necessity as glass as thin as would be comparable would be more expensive to make... Look at the thickness of the glass on your 5gal its the same thickness as tanks up to 30

It's actually acrylic. 1/8". But besides that like I said earlier no matter how many stress points there are as long as glass where the stress point is can hold the weight, it won't crack. The only way it would crack is if 50lbs of sand is at one point of the glass which is extremely unlikely to happen.

kurtyboh said:
Glass cracks when streesed... So why wouldnt i crack if theres glass where theres stress?

It won't crack if there isn't enough stress. Push on an empty tank's bottom while someone holds it. Depending on the size of the tank. For example lets say a 30g tank. A 30g tank is designed to hold around 450lbs. So divide by 5 because of how many glass panels there are. Thatll be 90lbs per panel. If you were to push with a force of 80lbs on one spot it wouldn't crack. But if you were to push another 30lbs on another spot it will probably crack because it's being exerted on with more than it can handle

Interesting conversation. Lol. I am emptying everything into the 50 except maybe the sand. I don't have anyone to help except to help me move the EMPTY 75 out of the way. Everything will be in the 55 for a day or two, maybe more, it depends on how long it will take me to make a brace in the crawlspace with all that insulation to hang my light better. The stand won't be in the exact same spot, it will be about 4 more inches from the wall if I like it there because that will make 12 inches from wall to the back of the tank and 12 inches from the wall to the left side of the tank. I am not sure yet cause I may put the rock against the glass, two of my fish hang out there and I don't get to see them.

Ibraham what your experiment would show is if even oressure is applied nothing about the twisting stress that would be involved in picking up a tank that large with multiple people.

kurtyboh said:
Ibraham what your experiment would show is if even oressure is applied nothing about the twisting stress that would be involved in picking up a tank that large with multiple people.

It wouldn't make a difference if the tank was slanted since the glass isnt being warped or changing thickness.

Not just slanted twisted theres no way to lift the tank with equal pressure across all four corners, thats twisting, which is where the problem lies. Many times the tank wont fail immediately but a few months down the road... Do a search and nobody will agree to move a tank that large with stuff in it.

Back
Top Bottom