Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-11-2011, 12:13 PM   #871
Aquarium Advice Addict

How many qallons are you removing?

Old 08-11-2011, 01:36 PM   #872
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
How many qallons are you removing?

idk, not quite 1/3 down from top level line.

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:18 PM   #873
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I don't understand why you don't see a drop when you exchange water. May be the live rock curing, or did you use artificial rock?
You are doing exactly the right things by waiting until the tests show you are cycled before proceeding. It will happen, it is within the laws of nature!
Old 08-11-2011, 03:46 PM   #874
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
I'm assuming S---s, since I haven't tested since last results and the last 3 tests were identical. Fell asleep last night so didn't do all the testing stuff. Going to do it now. If I get same numbers then calling manufacturer.
I would you may have gotten a bad batch With the heat wave we had and those things sitting in a 140 degree warehouse some are bound to be bad. I wonder just how many have called all ready

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:31 PM   #875
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had 40 pounds live and the rest base.

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Old 08-12-2011, 12:08 AM   #876
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

It takes a while for the live rock to settle in. There is usually a big die off already started by the time it gets to you sometimes. That all the stuff you might be seeing, but it should settle in. There may then be a algae bloom, that too shall pass. As the tank starts to cycle, things smooth out. Then you get to have fun, expensive fun, as hobbies tend to spiral out of control in my house. But you can always pick a spot for the first frag.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:17 AM   #877
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
It takes a while for the live rock to settle in. There is usually a big die off already started by the time it gets to you sometimes. That all the stuff you might be seeing, but it should settle in. There may then be a algae bloom, that too shall pass. As the tank starts to cycle, things smooth out. Then you get to have fun, expensive fun, as hobbies tend to spiral out of control in my house. But you can always pick a spot for the first frag.

Well since, I'm waiting...in between everything else (Just got done cleaning/fillet 13 pan fish), I've been working more with the rock, I had forgot there were a few pieces that weren't sturdy and well of course, this got moved, then that and so on and now...welllllll I'm still working on it. Got time while I wait for the parameters to get in line.

Algae bloom? I understand it butttt what color? I have red "buds" in various places. First there were a few now there is alot more. Also on one side of one of my "live" rocks is blackish in color...Is that what you mean by die off?

Also on some of the "live" rock there are "stringy" things, I wanna say like peach fuzz but how bout hairy peach fuzz. There seems to be alot of that of some of the rocks and none on others? Is that "hair algae"? Too small to take a picture of.

Still didn't get to the tests, was last day off and had alot to do. Light is set aside. I really need to hang that thing, with some sort of "pulley" fixture so I can raise it easily when I want to work. I could not move rock around with it there, so how am I gonna get to fish and put in coral and stuff. I have hanging wire for the ceiling (still trying to get my ladder back though lol), so does anyone have suggestions for rigging up a "pulley" type cable so I can raise and lower easily?

Thanks all.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:47 AM   #878
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here's a site that might you id your algae

ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae - Nuisance Algae ID Guide

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:16 PM   #879
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

It could be any type, hair, red, cyno. My point was the bloom should be brief and a prelude to the tank cycling properly. Just remove it when it happens as best you can, then prepare for fish/coral. There is such a smorgasbord of life on the rocks, it is hard to point out what is what, worms, tunicates, algae, bacteria, it's all there. Some will die off adding organics to the water, others will take over and start to help the tanks ability to cope with the organics. Just takes some time to settle down. When algae grows it is because there are organics available to it. It will absorb those organics and if you then dispose of the algae, you removed those organics from the system. If you just scrap the algae and leave it, it will dissolve and release it's organics to just start over again. It is the principle behind my algae turf scrubber. I use the algae to strip my tank of organics, then harvest it.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:38 PM   #880
Aquarium Advice Addict

Kk so what does your algae turf scrubber look like? Was it DIY?

Tags
build, reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com