Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-20-2011, 09:01 AM   #941
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I have pods that are almost the size of a small fish, and yes, they are creepy. lol Mine are fast as lightening too. The rest I;d say your fine with. The astrerina stars will multiply though so you might wanna pluck them out or keep em, your choice

Old 08-20-2011, 03:14 PM   #942
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

These critters can live under worse conditions than fish/coral can. Your numbers aren't there quite yet. The PH is high, 8.4 is maximum and I would like to see near zero on the organics. I think you are almost cycled, but not quite. Just my opinion.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:39 PM   #943
Aquarium Advice Addict

[QUOTE=Gregcoyote;1507009]These critters can live under worse conditions than fish/coral can. Your numbers aren't there quite yet. The PH is high, 8.4 is maximum and I would like to see near zero on the organics. I think you are almost cycled, but not quite. Just myhe
Those were the numbers from the LFS, when I was doubting my numbers. They used strip tests.

As these critters have been in there since then.

My pH test shows 8.2
My ammonia shows <.25 but not yellow enough to be 0
My nitrite is 0
My nitrate is 80

I'm still showing pretty close to the same but one test I could have sworn would be 0 for ammonia. I don't believe the LFS for pH, how would my water be that high? I don't add anything except salt and one cap of that purple stuff to check for dead spots. Only thing in the tank is straight RO/DI water for top off and mixed salt water for water change.

@carey, remember that pod pic I showed you from the filter? I have one of those in my tank, saw it tonite, but this other critter just isn't the same thing. Maybe still is a pod but I'm not sure, I went to every "hitchhiker" and "pod" search site I could last night and today and nothing matches that I can find.

I took some pictures but am too exhausted to go through them and upload, I'll upload tomorrow nite cause I think I need to retake them, still blurry, this time I'll turn the power off so no flow while I snap.

Besides the 2 of the 3 snails are hiding and the 3 black tenacle things from the rock aren't out either. Neither is this clearish tenacle that goes back in hole when light is shining on it.

Least right now they are blurry. Feels like I had my own 3 drinks smith LOL.

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:44 AM   #944
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Sorry, I saw the 8.6 Ph and was concerned. Didn't understand.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:34 AM   #945
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
Sorry, I saw the 8.6 Ph and was concerned. Didn't understand.
No prob lol, That's why I explained for you. So IF the chemistry is bad, critters in there will still be fine cause they can take harsher parameters. Well I won't be able to go to foster & smith til sat so I have time to test a few more times and I'll do another pwc on monday morning, then monday evening see if it made any adjustments.

How do pH's fluctuate? From waste?

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:16 PM   #946
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy

No prob lol, That's why I explained for you. So IF the chemistry is bad, critters in there will still be fine cause they can take harsher parameters. Well I won't be able to go to foster & smith til sat so I have time to test a few more times and I'll do another pwc on monday morning, then monday evening see if it made any adjustments.

How do pH's fluctuate? From waste?
Yes and several other factors. You will want to keep your Ph above 8.0 and below 8.5 and as little swing as you can manage. That is what buffering does, it provides a "Ph shock absorber" and keeps the tank from varying too much. Good aeration, feeding control, water changes and addition of a Ph buffer, if necessary, should keep everything pretty close. I have loads of coral, so I dose Kalkwasser and a two part calcium/alkalinity solution at a smaller dosage. I bought several of those dosing pumps on EBay and have automated the whole mess. You CAN NOT add these types of buffering and calcium compounds all at once, they have to be dripped into the tank or they will put your Ph way up too fast. I try to keep calcium over 400 and KH near 10 or slightly above. My Ph stays at 8.3 to 8.4, but I have a algae turf scrubbing system that lights up when my main tank lights go off, so it also prevents Ph swings.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:49 PM   #947
Aquarium Advice Addict

I find that when my ammonia is zero the yellow color doesn't match the card exactly due to some cloudiness. This leaves me (and a few others i've seen) thinking there's a little tinge of green present. If your nitrates are 80 and you've not been adding stock or mucking things about - I'd almost guarantee your ammonia is 0.
scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:05 AM   #948
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

if youre getting a ph swing, id def talk to Carey because i vaguely remember her having this same issue on her 125, so it should still be relatively fresh in her mind
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:09 AM   #949
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I wa having low ph due to poor air circulation in my house as it turns out. I;ve been letting the house air out so to speak as much as possible with my ceiling fans running to try to bring some fresh air in. I;ve also been using a buffer once a week as well and my ph has stabilized.

Ph will swing from day to night though so thats something to keep in mind as well.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:07 PM   #950
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
I wa having low ph due to poor air circulation in my house as it turns out. I;ve been letting the house air out so to speak as much as possible with my ceiling fans running to try to bring some fresh air in. I;ve also been using a buffer once a week as well and my ph has stabilized.

Ph will swing from day to night though so thats something to keep in mind as well.
I might imagine the buffer had a lot to do with stabilizing your Ph.

Tags
build, reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com