Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-22-2011, 05:11 PM   #951
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I've used the buffer a total of 3 times over 3 weeks. So i think its a combination. But whatever I;m doing it's working.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:03 PM   #952
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
I've used the buffer a total of 3 times over 3 weeks. So i think its a combination. But whatever I;m doing it's working.
Awesome. @Scott no I've not added anything yet:-( . I want to be sure of my tests first. Yea you explained the ammonia color issue exactly.

I still am not home so I will do a pwc when I get home.

Questions:

1. How much pwc should I do this time?
2. How long should I wait after pwc to test?
3. What pH buffer should I use? (Feel free to post pic of bottle. LOL).

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:14 AM   #953
Aquarium Advice Addict

1) As big as you want. Ideally you'd have 0 nitrates. That's the purpose of a water change.. get rid of nitrates and replace trace elements.

2) A few hours.. let it mix and circulate.

3) I'd buy a digital ph tester. Much more accurate than the liquid test kit (which I could never read the ph level correctly). The result was I thought I had massive ph swings when my ph was really stable. The ph meter will read "8.1" for example and doesn't leave you guessing what color is closest.
scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:21 AM   #954
Aquarium Advice Addict

Finished up rockwork, only took more hours tonite. Hope nothing falls. Am finishing up a 35% pwc now. Gonna let it settle a bit then test parameters.

If all goes well I hope to buy my first livestock a week from this friday.

Still haven't decided what I'm gonna buy yet though. So many to choose from lol.

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Old 08-23-2011, 10:26 AM   #955
Aquarium Advice Addict

YEA Charge up the camera cause we want pics

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:09 PM   #956
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz
YEA Charge up the camera cause we want pics
Second the pics buffy
Old 08-23-2011, 07:15 PM   #957
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

If you thought it was crazy just getting to this stage than you've seen nothing yet!!! ....now comes the fun part and with it a whole new set of problems ( adventures).., don't worry Buffy ,..you've got the tenacity of a bull dog.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:45 PM   #958
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

You're just getting to the good part. But don't get depressed, because there are all sorts of stumbles on the way.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:03 AM   #959
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks guys, I see that. LOL. I finally fell asleep and got in 2 hours nap yesterday before work. I'm thinking I got the rock sturdy. I didn't get a chance to test parameters. (Gonna borrow a pH meter from work next week to double check that. Unfortunately, I can't check the other parameters with their equipment lol, we don't test all the same stuff)

In the meantime, I'm tossing around in my head....fish or coral, fish or coral LOL, and am thinking bout shrimp and stuff too. I got this one tenacle that creeps out and when I shine a light on it, it goes back in. Now that the rock is done, I don't know if I can get a picture of it (if my camera will work long enough for 2 pics).

I will try to get the test parameters and pics online before work tonite.

I just found out last night a co-worker had saltwater tanks for years, up til last year. He's gonna be looking at his stuff and give me some of his books to read. He didn't do corals.

Also while I am at it. I'm going to look at that selfirt (sp) tests. I'm going to get them all I think. So besides what I have (the basics), I'll need calcium, magnesium and........... ????

Would anyone like to post a few good links to do a refugium? I'm gonna try to use a 10 gallon for that and maybe put it on a stand near the tank. Can I breed brine, mysis (sp) shrimp, copepods and the good eating algae in it? I'd like to try to get that started and developed to sustain my tank and build it up for the Mandarin that is in my future.

Nite all and thanks

Old 08-24-2011, 09:16 AM   #960
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Hi Buffy. Good to see you back on fishie track.

I have in the past started a de tached "refuguium" so I could grow pods for my scooter and the results were less than stellar. How about a hang on back refugium? I think that might work better until you get a sump setup.

Here is two link, one cheap one not

Reef Aquarium Filtration: AquaFuge External Hang-On Refugium

Filtration - Reef - Hang On Refugium with Protein Skimmer

As far as salifert goes I use it for: calcium, magnesium, alkalinity, phosphates and nitrates. I use API for ammonia, trites and ph and copper.

here's a nifty link, while it costs a bit more than salifert I live them!!

Hanna Instruments Checker Colorimeter.

Check out the drop down menu for the available tests. I use the phosphate one now and it's beyond awesome.

Tags
build, reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com