Buffy's 1st Ever SW Build - Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Now Now,There's no crying in Baseball.:flowers: It's not enough light for corals it may support some low light corals Rics. or mushrooms It's not a bad light but it's not the best light for some things
Can you make some H brackets to mount the light on, you mount the brackets same way as there mounts then attach theres to them

I didnt mean to upset you, I just wanted you to know. if it were me, I'd return it and get a better fixture for probably the same price.

To keep a larger variety of corals you will need at least a 4 bulb fixture. ^ bulb if you have the money. Plus you want to be able to buy good bulbs, not just the zoo med ones.

Just a little more patience, the lights are a BIG deal and no need rushng it. In fact your stock one bulb light would be sufficient for fish only for now so no worries. :)

Nooo! not stamps!

Ironically, and hopefully you'll take this as a positive and not a negative, I was debating buying one of those lights since MY first salt tank is going to be fairly easy peasy things anyhow... Now I'll buy one of the others I'm thinking about. I too liked the tilt back feature, darn the luck.

I'm fine. Thanks all. Can the light be for anything? I hate returning stuff. That is all they carry. I'm gonna order online. I thought it would be better than the 1 bulb and thought it would work til I could afford a better one especially since they are like 400.00 and up and if I gotta spend that much I don't want to get wrong stuff. Any suggestions on lighting to use, fixture, bulbs and dealers?

@Carey. I know you didn't mean to. No worries. You've been a fantastic help. I just want to do this but am running into other issues besides my tank.

Buffy said:
Thanks guys, I'm looking forward to some color sometime lol. I've seen so many beautiful tanks that no way do I want to stop. I know there are gonna be obstacles but jeezzzzzzz so much friggin plumbing. Guess that's the case when working with water lol.

Off topic - Any recommendations of where to look for a BASIC lizard tank for a little boy, am gonna use one of the 10 gallon tanks I got.

Off topic - Tomorrow, I'm taking my other granddaughter shopping (6 years old) to finish her tank. Freshwater. Any good links to look at for her. Want basic also, good hearty fish so mama doesn't have alot to do, needs low maintenance.

Thanks.

"Tossing" in the rock now and see where it lands. Well wait, I'll put my light together so I can see, will take a pic of mess and post it. Will be power filter, heater, circ pump, sand and dirty looking water and glass.

I find saltwater to be almost care free compared to the freshwater tanks I've done..

I grew up owning fish stores and had a fresh water hatchery for a while. Saltwater in those days was considered impossible for anyone but a large aquarium. And those didn't look healthy back in the day. In just a few decades, that has certainly changed. Both thru scientific understanding and better technology, saltwater can even be done in nano reefs, something that would have been laughed at just 10 years ago. Perspective from a old fish keeper.

Nooo! not stamps!

Ironically, and hopefully you'll take this as a positive and not a negative, I was debating buying one of those lights since MY first salt tank is going to be fairly easy peasy things anyhow... Now I'll buy one of the others I'm thinking about. I too liked the tilt back feature, darn the luck.

What are you looking at for lights?

Now Now,There's no crying in Baseball.:flowers: It's not enough light for corals it may support some low light corals Rics. or mushrooms It's not a bad light but it's not the best light for some things
Can you make some H brackets to mount the light on, you mount the brackets same way as there mounts then attach theres to them

Uhmm, how to make H brackets? I take it they are shaped like the letter H lol, but that's as far as I can manage.

Remember...this is suppose to be fun. Many challenges is what the hobby is about. Otherwise, we would collect stamps. ;-)

It is fun (sorta) it's the can's of worms that keep opening. LOL. And no I won't collect stamps, my mother used to collect Green Stamps, and coupons, and we had food stamps too. I'll collect coins instead :brows: (that I could spend of course).

Makes two of us.

Whew, thank goodness I'm not the only one then.

How do you do multiple quotes or part quotes so I don't have to post so many messages, I could just do it in one. I don't want to be rude and not reply to anyone. You've all been so helpful and and and ready.......uplifting. Thank you.

Now will someone tell my pooch to help me out please LMAO.

Buffy said:

How do you do multiple quotes or part quotes so I don't have to post so many messages, I could just do it in one. I don't want to be rude and not reply to anyone. You've all been so helpful and and and ready.......uplifting. Thank you.

The pup can help out! Have him lick the frozen food till it thaws out.... muhahaha

Buffy said:

So where are you at? Still cycling im not saying im not following the thread I belive your still cycling but much like careys threads its become hard to follow g darn forum monkeys!

50 lbs base in tank and 50ish to go :)

LOL, No I'm not cycling yet.

I am finally putting my rock in tonite, I have about 1/2 of it in and been working steady for about 4 hours, kinda hard to see cause so cloudy with all the stirring up I'm doing. Water not high enough to run filter yet to help clear it up. Hope to have a pic of my aquascaping tonite, or more accurately in the morning cause it'll probably take another 3 or four hours. For this time anyway LOL, always room for changes.

Question for anyone......

How far down from the water level should the rock be? I don't know how high to place the various corals and such yet so a rough idea would be great.

Thanks

I have rock going up to 75% of the height of the back wall in places. And some in front of that that isn't as high. Gives me different levels to place different light corals. :)

I have rock going up to 75% of the height of the back wall in places. And some in front of that that isn't as high. Gives me different levels to place different light corals. :)

Thanks. I've been kinda working from higher in back to lower in front and trying to make a lagoon type opening/cave opening. Trying to leave bout 3" in front for swimming and the "lagoons/caves" to swim in and out. Trying to leave a couple of "caves" open in various areas that they can swim through.

Is that 75% from sand to water level, or glass bottom to water level?

Last edited:
Sounds like a plan. I have a neat overhang that the tangs love to swim through. :) Once you like it dont worry, you'll change your mind. LOL

Sounds like a plan. I have a neat overhang that the tangs love to swim through. :) Once you like it dont worry, you'll change your mind. LOL

LOL, Already changing as I go. Taking a break to read through and let water settle a little. Want to get more rock in before I add the last little bit of RO/DI I have cause I don't want to "overflow", especially since I don't have an overflow or sump yet.

So for the last 2 hours or so, I've been aquascaping by feel lol, since can't see. Let's "see" how I did when it clears hehehe, this aught to be funny.:lol:

Back
Top Bottom