Buffy's 1st Ever SW Build - Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yay!!!!!!!!! Gonna have pics soon

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!J:dance:ust finished getting the rock done.

Adding Water!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:fish2:

Pictures Soon:lol:

Pictures Finally :)

OK, I am done with the rock I have except for the live rock outside. I just finished adding the water I have, am making more.

As you can see, right now the only thing plugged in are the lights. Tonite I hope to have the rest of the water made and then I START CYCLING!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope you can see through the clouds :)

Sand

This is how much sand I took back out.

It's in a 10 gallon Brute.

Well I posted pictures as requested, nobody looked I guess.

I need bout 1 1/2 more inches water. Am adding salt to tank now. When temp is up and salinity is good, I will be adding Ammonia to start cycle.

I looked. I'm just still not up to speed. Kinda bummed still......

You are making alot of prgress, youre almost there

Anybody know how much ammonia I should add? I've read bout doing it two diferent ways so I'm kinda lost. Or would it just be better to go buy a raw shimp from the grocery store?

I like the ammonia method myself. I don't know how much your supposed to add though, I added by teaspoons and kept testing until it hit over 4ppm. I eneded up way overdosing and it still came out ok.

Theres an article on here somewhere with the exact dosing.

Good luck!

What salt does everyone use and why? I'm gonna be out of salt when I do my first pwc and I want to get the "right" stuff. I'll start.

I have Instant Ocean Sea Salt. Why--because that's what the LFS said I needed.

There are so many opinions on salt it isnt funny. I started with regular I/O and now use I/O reef crystals. I like my salt ok, just havent had a chance to try others yet. It's one of those preference things lol

Hi Buffy,
I'm using IO reef crystals too now and I also have about half a box of Tropic Marin left. I didn't find much of a difference between the two except IO reef gives me a much higher CA reading and costs less. :)

Awesome, I want to use reef crystals for sure because of Calcium. (Only cause I read it. Haven't researched it yet). I need a test kit for Calcium, Phosphate and probably other stuff.

What do you guys keep your Salinity at? I'm reading between 1.025 and 1.027, so I was gonna shoot for 1.026.

Also once my tank is cycled, how do I keep it "Fish/Coral Ready", Depends on my schedule when I can make my first order. Then do I do a fish first or some kind of clean up crew first or do I do them together?

Also lastly (for now) I need a basic QT Tank. I believe need (only have the tank):

1 10 Gallon Tank
1 heater
1 filter - what one/kind?
Lights - Are basic run of mill ok?
Subtrate?
Rock?

Some kind of acclimation set-up - what do I need for that?

I keep my salinity at 1.025, I believe natural sea water is at 1.0265.

You wont need a light for the qt I wouldnt think.

For acclimation I get little painters buckets, like 1/2 g ones and out the fish/invert in there and then add the tank water t that.

Back
Top Bottom