Buffy's 1st Ever SW Build - Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They might stall the cycle... (don't hold me to it!) maybe do a PWC to get them down a bit... Just in case? (seriously, if you think I'm wrong, call me out please!!!)

Nope not calling you out :)... I don't mind waiting, Am not ready for fish yet. I still have ammonia in there too, though it's down, it needs to be zero, along with the nitrites.

Still needing to get some stuff done before I bring in the fishies and such. :)

Buffy would running 2-10g tanks for a sump fit below your 75? I figured you can only fit a 20l width wise in the stand, maybe the 2x10g will fit one behind the other, therefore saving space

Here's a pic of my stand.

I believe a 20l would fit in there, since the depth is probably 18" and a 20l is about 12-13"

But you'd have to remove your shelving in there, haha

I believe a 20l would fit in there, since the depth is probably 18" and a 20l is about 12-13"

But you'd have to remove your shelving in there, haha

Can't remove the shelving, it would weaken the stand.

Imo you could alter the shelving to fit a 20l in there with a light...but that's just my opinion..I seem to not have a problem cutting and chopping things lol. If you're not wanting to touch it, I'd imagine you could squeeze a few 5 gallon tanks in there...those are lil guys:)

My opinion is a stinkly one to conisder, but I would just get a new stand, check on craigslist and the such,. More money I know, but you didn't know anything about all this when you got it. You could alwasy use the stand for a fw application. :) Or flip it on CL yourself and help to pay for another stand. :)
LOL

That would be my choice, but the 75 could benefit alot from one.

I don't think a hob filter and skimmer would be too bad. The lights will probably block out the view of them anyways.

On that stand buffy, are any of the shelves adjustable? You can also put a canister filter in one if you can move a shelf. I know most people frown on the canister in sw but I've done it successfully.

The sump, pumps, tubing, overflow box, skimmer ands other goodies for the sump will add up quite quickly as well.

It's Buffys choice I think here. Either way and I think she'll be fine.

BTW, what are your intentions for the 40B Buffy? Are you gonna make it a species or coral tank? Maybe you can do the sump for that one and get some knowledge on the small side.

Yep, I was real helpful LOL

Im running 90g without a sump or skimmer it can be done you just gotta stick with the PWC's my traites never get over .5 ppm i change out 10g every week

Changing out the stand means draining that monster she just snap if we suggest that lol

I know, lol, I hated suggesting it. But she already bought a 20L for a sump too. Not that I couldnt find another use for a 20L LOL.

I think you may be right, maybe hob equipment would be a better solution. It should come out cheaper and easier to, no building a DIY sump. :)

I ran my 55g without a sumo and got to 0 trates after a while so it can be done and that was with a fluval filter too.

lets see what buffy has to say when she logs
:)

Another note, maybe she will upgrade the 75g at some point anyways, most of us do. It's that tang fever that makes us do it. hehee

I look for that post every day when i log on lol Buffy's New 125 build :brows: with a 75g sump hehe

I think buffy got off to a really bad start but wow how far she has come.. I bet even at where she's at now she can offer alot of knowledge to someone starting out...

It's horrible this MTS we all seem to have. I just found a 265g sw full setup with everything for $200. I;'m ready to pull the trigger but I honestly have no where to put it.

LOL I hear ya I lease tanks thats how i deal with mine (MTS) I keep one 90g at home in case i need to pull fish i have a tank up and running I keep journals on all of them helps me keep track of whats what.

PS 265 for 200 is a great resale value even if you dont need another tank

carey said:
It's horrible this MTS we all seem to have. I just found a 265g sw full setup with everything for $200. I;'m ready to pull the trigger but I honestly have no where to put it.

Omg shut up! People always love to complain..kidding.. here how u do it .. move the g darn couch.. buy a love seat and put that where the 120 is.. sell the 120 keep the 55 instead and bam problem solved ....

LMAO i was thinking bean bag chairs 2nd thought was @ .50 a gal thats $132.50 a month in rental fees

The Tank Dilemma

Good Morning.

Interesting conversation ya'll had LOL. I love that brainstorming.

Ok. Now. No I do not want use my 75G for a sump if I got a larger tank. Yes I've already thought about the 125G or higher. (Who needs a couch anyway)

The 55G is going in my bedroom with a sump, the above stand will hold my 55G so I can use it for that and set the sump on my smaller dresser next to it.

The 40G Breeder was going to be in living room perpendicular to the 75G.

2 10ga tanks - 1 for qt and 1 for hospital.

Now, yes, the shelves are removable. I forgot that they were. However with the shelves removed, the spacing still does not fit any of my tanks. So I'm watching for a stand for my 75G I can use. No I do not want to build one. No I do not want to sell the stand on Craig's list. Yes I will have to empty it but I'm hoping the transition will go smoothly. I'm not afraid of water, but if I have any livestock when it happens, then I worry bout that. (I've made my own drain pump so I can just pop it in and push the water to the other tank)

Carey's suggestion for a canister is an option I could do but would it be a waste? If I got a regular sump done for this would I just be "tossing" out the canister?

The LFS recommended the Fluval 405 when I first went in couple months ago, but I didn't get it. Is that the canister you're talking about Carey?

25 high x 14 wide x 15 deep is the measurement of the right side of the stand without the shelf would be plenty of room I'm thinking for a canister.

So for now......that leave's me cycling my tank.

Carey, did you say something bout coupon for when I order lights?

Did anyone look at the price of those pumps I listed last night (cost if I added right would be 62.98)?

Any thoughts on my test results?

I hope I covered everyone's thoughts LOL. Thanks for all the input, I actually loved the back and forth conversation, it was awesome LOL.

Wow long one, if I missed anything throw it back out there. Thanks guys ya'll are awesome :):dance:

Off topic. Daughter's surgery went well, is recovering and today she wants to try to go out this afternoon in the boat for more northern :)

Wow another busy day. I go back to work friday and I'm thinking that after 3 weeks off, that I NEED MORE TIME OFF. I don't feel like I got anything done.

lol lol lol

Buffy said:
Off topic. Daughter's surgery went well, is recovering and today she wants to try to go out this afternoon in the boat for more northern :)

Wow another busy day. I go back to work friday and I'm thinking that after 3 weeks off, that I NEED MORE TIME OFF. I don't feel like I got anything done.

lol lol lol

Haha if u hadn't went and bought a tank u may have got somthing accomplished

Back
Top Bottom