Buffy's 1st Ever SW Build - Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Amazon was the cheapest I found for the filter also. I'm gonna check again, but I think with the code I can still get the light cheaper at that Direct Aquariums place. It's only 6 more dollars from Saltwater Aquarium.com, shopped there before?

Just got home, so am gonna do a final sweep for the stuff then get my order in.

I've ordered the Fluval 405 and the Nova Extreme Pro. They should be here next week :)

Waiting for an answer for the power heads. Got answer, ordered 2 Evolution 750's.

I'm done spending ....for now lol. Sleep time.

Nice work Buffy, it's really coming together now. I think you'll be pleased with all that gear. especially the Koralias, once you use one you never go back to another. LOL

And the lights are top notch as well. Be careful with the leg mounts though, that's the one place current skimped on. :)

I think you may be near the end of your gear hunt. You can probably wait a bit to pick up a skimmer, though it does take maybe 2 weeks to break one in.

Great job, can't wait to see it all up and running. The fluval is easy as pie to hook up too. :) Do you ave any rock rubble left over? You can put some of that in the filter or get some extra bio media for the trays.

Nice work Buffy, it's really coming together now. I think you'll be pleased with all that gear. especially the Koralias, once you use one you never go back to another. LOL

And the lights are top notch as well. Be careful with the leg mounts though, that's the one place current skimped on. :)

I think you may be near the end of your gear hunt. You can probably wait a bit to pick up a skimmer, though it does take maybe 2 weeks to break one in.

Great job, can't wait to see it all up and running. The fluval is easy as pie to hook up too. :) Do you ave any rock rubble left over? You can put some of that in the filter or get some extra bio media for the trays.

Yes I have some rock rubble left over. Thanks for helping with the research. I have to move the rock in the at yet.

I also think I found another hitch hiker. Does anyone have a problem looking thru the glass? If I lookout straight on I'm good but if I shift to try to look at an angle it gets blurry and makes me nauseous.

Buffy said:
Yes I have some rock rubble left over. Thanks for helping with the research. I have to move the rock in the at yet.

I also think I found another hitch hiker. Does anyone have a problem looking thru the glass? If I lookout straight on I'm good but if I shift to try to look at an angle it gets blurry and makes me nauseous.

Haha I can't stand that when that happen thought I wax the only one....

Buffy said:

Haha I can't stand that when that happen thought I wax the only one....

anxious waiting for your stuff? :D

Yes and no. LOL, I'm exhausted so I don't want to do anything. Going to bed soon, gotta get up for work in 4 hours. I think the anticipation will hit when the time is closer.

I have no idea what I'm gonna do with the canister filter. I don't understand them or anything (what they are for, how to use them, what to put in them, all that kinda stuff) but.....based on what I've read, I should have got that first and never have gotten the Emperor 500.

I got an email today, that the lights were shipped out. All items have the same estimated deliver date Jul 19-22nd/23rd. Sooooo I just scope out my rock with my flashlight, get sick to my stomach and go to bed. LOL

OK vacation is officially over for. No more staying up all night researching. I gotta work for 2 weeks then 2 more weeks vacation. WOOHOO!, Maybe I can get some home-owning stuff done. HAHAHA, right.....somewhere in between my tank stuff and again somewhere in between my tank stuff.

The canister filter is easy as pie. The directions are suoer easy and they even give you a dvd to watch if you need it. The fluval is a dream to run too. You'll see. You'll wonder why you even worried. lol

The canister filter is easy as pie. The directions are suoer easy and they even give you a dvd to watch if you need it. The fluval is a dream to run too. You'll see. You'll wonder why you even worried. lol

I'm sure if I have questions, I'll be bugging for answers LOL.

Gonna look at my rock and see if those tentacle looking things came out anymore, then off to bed. 3am comes too early.

Have not done testing. After work tomorrow, if the tentacle things are too scarey, am gonna get my rock rearanged so the big pieces can finally get to the bottom. Will do testing tomorrow after moving the rock.

I think I'm getting close to the point of ordering MY FIRST SW...something. LOL. I'm chicken. I am not sure what I'm gonna start with. I'm thinking maybe a coral instead of a fish first. I still have to figure out what order to get things, well heck I gotta figure out what corals and stuff are compatible yet, I've read it but don't remember what can go with what.

Yep opening up a big can of worms, I mean fishies. lol

I'd say coral first just so there's no crazy fishies swimming around while you're trying to put corals in, but that's just me. Getting the feeling that its just one huge book that has no beginning or ending? Lol

Most people start with fish. lol It's not like the fish will attack you while youre messing around in there. Mine pretty much mind their own business when I'm futzing around with rock and coral re arranging.

Yeah one BIG NEVERENDING BOOK lol.

What gloves are safe? I bought a pair of Playtex Handsaver gloves, are they ok.

Off to work.

I bought the playtex gloves and used them when I was moving over to the 125g, I was afraid of what might sting or bit me. lol

If you are sensitive to coral, I would use latex gloves, rinsed first. If you are not sensitive, I prefer bare hands. We rarely let divers wear gloves anymore as the gloved hand can damage coral worse than a bare hand will. Gentle is the only way to go.

I have heard people say keeping corals is easier than keeping fish and then I've heard the exact opposite. In my mind, I'm not prepared for corals yet :| Im trying to keep fish alive first.

Lucky you carey lol. I guess I didn't think about the nipping hands part when I decided to go aggressive.... The only 2 that haven't bit me so far are my MaY clown and my goby...they are lil bullies

Back
Top Bottom