Buffy's 1st Ever SW Build - Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Buffy said:
I was wanting a probe kind, the research/reviews I have come across.... ALL of them had water tight problems within a few months. I'd rather I read on the outside and probe on the inside. Thank you for your help. I gotta go look at those now that I'm home and before I get started on my rock. I made a new thread about qt, would you check it over if you have time and provide some insite?

Thanks

Yea the one that was on eBay has a probe which is in the tank and had suction cups for the digital display on the outside. :) Just to clarify any confusion

Gregcoyote said:
Didn't look like the one on bulk reef supply I thought I saw. It looked like it had a wired probe. Don't buy one that depends on a "water tight" battery/electronics package. You just want a probe in the water. Sorry to set off the "oh no you don't" crowd, my mistake.

Oops Sorry for the confusion. The one on eBay has a wired probe. And it's also made by JBJ.

In my experience, the digital units were pretty close. At least within a degree. I do not know if the inexpensive ones have a calibration screw. I have one that is 15 years old I bought from the local hardware store for less than 20 bucks. It has inside temp reading and a second outside reading and a outside probe I use in the reef. I encapsulated with regular epoxy cement to be absolutely sure it was water tight. years later and many battery changes, I am still using it.

If you can borrow a lab thermometer that is accurate, you can calibrate anything and be in pretty good shape.

I have about 4 pair, however I can never find them when I want them.:lol:

Should I wear my hardhat, gloves and steel toes too?

If you have butterfingers like me i'd wear the boots :) or sneekers at the least

Ok, I just finally figured out how to get back into photobucket, got the pictures off my pc that I like so far and put them in photobucket (I hope I got the right names with the livestock). I don't know if this is gonna work but from what I understand it's a link to the whole album. Please go take a gander, and if there's a "guest book" please sign so I know you where there, feel free to leave comments also if there's a space for it, Don't know much bout photobucket yet.

Remember now, if my parameters are good come friday morning, I want to come home from live aquaria WITH SOMETHING.

Here ya go. Hope it works.....User name for photobucket is mehuman2, that way you know it's me.

http://photobucket.com/LivestockILike

You have great taste,love the corals cant wait to see it done. extra butter as you like :popcorn:

Mike-words said:
Lol for real. And I can see why

I actually read it a few times then the shrimp part dawned on me... as so many on this forum are deeply rooted in their tanks.. likewise myself included.

Hi all. No update to report. Haven't got home yet. Not to discuss...just Fyi. Am at er with daughter. Heart issues is all I will say. I'm still planning to finish rock tonite and test parameters just don't know when. Still more tests here to on her. I am still going to drs. Foster and smith. Excuse spelling. On phone.

I sent some of you the link. Others I did cause I was running late for work. I though it would be easier for you to get to. I thank you for your answers and input but i was hoping you would reply here so I can review all and of course post the winners:) wondering what kind of light would I need for qt? I plan on picking one up tomorrow but I hope the basic cheapies will work. Now go to sleep my aa friends and hopefully I will have a pic posted with the rock scaping done when u brush sandman away.

If you have butterfingers like me i'd wear the boots :) or sneekers at the least

Oh I have butter fingers, I almost dropped my brand new light inside the tank lol. Glad it was unplugged.

You have great taste,love the corals cant wait to see it done. extra butter as you like :popcorn:
Thank you. Yummy butter butter

Just don't butter your popcorn shrimp...they hate that.;-)

:lol::lol:

That made me laugh out loud in real life..

Actually, exact same thing for me. I happened to have needed that, cause it made my day.

Lol for real. And I can see why

I can't see why, I just thought it fit and was perfect at the moment lol.

@Carey.......See sometimes I do get my brain to slow down lol.

I actually read it a few times then the shrimp part dawned on me... as so many on this forum are deeply rooted in their tanks.. likewise myself included.

Hmmmm, I don't like the taste of shrimp so I wouldn't know bout the butter part. As far as "deeply rooted" wouldn't that only pertain to those who have planted tanks?:angel:

Hope everything is good..good luck.. qt light anything will work...

Thanks, you guys have been very patient with my "interruptions" of this tank. Still wonder if that's a sign that I shouldn't have one, but even though I struggle with alot of stuff, I hate being beat, and this tank is not gonna beat me. It may win a few battles, but I'm gonna take the war.

Speaking of butterfingers....Was moving rock last night after I nearly dropped my light in and I missed a step coming off the ladder and fell into the tank, sloshed a little water out but tank stayed on stand with water in it. Though I was gonna "crash" my tank before it got going. LOL , good new though none of my livestock got hurt.

But I must be attached to my "empty" tank because as I was so gracefully falling off the ladder and into the tank all I could think of was NOT HURT THE TANK lmao.

Been home bout 1/2 hour now, needed to sit and catch up on threads.

@JSmith. Had a few scares, but all is fine and she is home.

I'm just hoping now that I can get that rock done and get a pic before the sandman comes. Was gone 20 hours and my pup did good, no accidents since no one was able to let him out. Been long day.

So am gonna work on rock in a few minutes, need to regroup. Friend of mine is coming over for coffee at 6:15am (made those plans when I thought I would have some sleep) before she and her husband go on vacation AND SHE SAYS I GOTTA SEE YOUR TANK. I'm thinking before not to long she may be doing a tank LOL. Anyway, after coffee I'm heading up to Dr. Foster & Smiths, so I hope everyone can get their "2 cents" imo's and all in before I get there so that I can get what I can.

Remember==testing then if all good need those suggestions from my photobucket link.

Also, with the qt tank.

Refractometer is on list if they have and is cheap enough, also a couple of thermometers.

If I need a good amount of flow, how can I tell if it's enough, it looks like the water is barely moving. Should I get another pw while I'm up there.

And how do I tell if I have "dead spots"? My ph's now do not put out enough to "hit each other" and cause the turbulence that I though it would?

AND (lol, I love that Fluval, I have to open the dang door just to see if it's working cause it's sooooo quiet. woohoo

FYI--I'm bringing my pup (90 pound golden retriever) with me so I can use his nose to point out some livestock for me too, so be careful ya'll he might win the naming contest.

Only light i use on my Qt is what through yonder window breaks (less light less stress) IMO unless there's corals
Checking flow put a bit of flake food in the tank and watch where it settles You can also use some purple up it clouds the water so you can track the flow dont worry it clears up in a few mins. Names just watch them there name will come to you Some how i dont think Woof works :)

Thanks.

After being sidetracked again, am heading out to drs.f&s. Will not be buying any livestock yet unless I QT what I buy. My parameters haven't changed much

Ammonia .25-.50
ph 8.0 was 8.2, I think I need to be closer to 8.2
nitrite - 0
nitrate - over 160

basically same as it was last time I tested which I don't remember. Haven't had time to test so hadn't worried about it. Have done 50% pwc also, but til I buy more salt I can't do anymore pwc.

I kinda want to get something and put it in qt, since I'm also shopping fo that so it's ready go, but thinking if I qt then by the time qt is done that the parameters would be done. But if dt is not ready when "time is up" for qt then I'd be nervous of leaving what I buy in there and maybe stressing it from it being there too long.

Any input?

I'll be checking back to see what ya'll have to say so I can something or if I need to change something while I'm up there. Its 74 miles one way and I don't want to make that trip everyday cause I forgot something. If I go back because I ran out of money well that's a different story lol

Time for a journal:angel: My 1st QT was a 20g long it was'nt long before the 2 clowns that i had in there talked my wife into turning it into display tank :banghead: as long as you keep the water good in the QT most fish will do just fine months or longer,
buy the biggest can of salt that you can it seems im always running out of it. Dont hurry as only bad things happen fast in this hobby

I wouldn't buy any live stock until the tank parameters have stabilized. Having live stock waiting in qt for the main tank will just pressure you into moving too fast. Be patient so you don't have to be sad if/when your first purchase doesn't make it because of rushing. Hardest part of this hobby is being patient.

Thanks guys. I didn't buy any livestock, was to uncomfortable about it, cause I still feel unorganized. And still things outstanding to do first. I already went through the big bucket one. They didn't have much in store so I had to go out to truck, take catalogue and write down what I wanted, then went back in to cashier, paid and sent the order to warehouse to be filled while they did that I drove to the main office/merchanidise pickup (it's a short drive, but with carrying stuff it's not walkable).

So here is what I've added to my hobby:
58 lb box of Reef Crystals
1 small heater
2 thermometers (lifeguard I think, the smaller of the two that were posted here). 1 at Dr. F&S and 1 at Petco they only had one, was on "clearance" if you call 3.00 off clearance. (needed dog food)
1 refractormeter
1 sea squirt
15 pounds live figi rock (I think I have a mushroom on one)
1 bottle purple up
1 2 oz thingie of that red putty
acclimator doo dad pack of 3
At Petco - bought Coral & Reef Magazine

I think that's it but it'll all be well used lol.

So on that note I have to get some rest (last time I saw sleep was Tuesday night) as my daughter is coming to pick me up in alittle over an hour.

I appologize for no pic before sandman. I'm working on it though, I have one side of tank done.

Buffy said:
Thanks guys. I didn't buy any livestock, was to uncomfortable about it, cause I still feel unorganized. And still things outstanding to do first. I already went through the big bucket one. They didn't have much in store so I had to go out to truck, take catalogue and write down what I wanted, then went back in to cashier, paid and sent the order to warehouse to be filled while they did that I drove to the main office/merchanidise pickup (it's a short drive, but with carrying stuff it's not walkable).

So here is what I've added to my hobby:
58 lb box of Reef Crystals
1 small heater
2 thermometers (lifeguard I think, the smaller of the two that were posted here). 1 at Dr. F&S and 1 at Petco they only had one, was on "clearance" if you call 3.00 off clearance. (needed dog food)
1 refractormeter
1 sea squirt
15 pounds live figi rock (I think I have a mushroom on one)
1 bottle purple up
1 2 oz thingie of that red putty
acclimator doo dad pack of 3
At Petco - bought Coral & Reef Magazine

I think that's it but it'll all be well used lol.

So on that note I have to get some rest (last time I saw sleep was Tuesday night) as my daughter is coming to pick me up in alittle over an hour.

I appologize for no pic before sandman. I'm working on it though, I have one side of tank done.

I know u are going reef but in my experience you shoulda went with just the reg io salt... I think it's going to put to much nutrients in your tank that can't be obsorbed ... I find its safer to go uuntill you have a couple corals before switching over... just mt experience if someone disagrees let me know...

I would rather kill a small frag of colt coral, than a nice fish or crab when starting out. If the colt coral deploys and grows, you can be pretty sure a fish will be fine. Maybe backwards to some, but a colt coral doesn't have dead little eyes looking at you accusingly as you flush it. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom