Buffy's 1st Ever SW Build - Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They must love you there LOL. I anticipate once I start the 90g's plumbing I;ll be on a first name basis with the guys at ACE and Lowes. Luckily they are only a bout 1/2 mile away so it won't be so bad. If I needed hone depot it's like 20min away. But lowes will have to do. ;-)

Hope you have a rewards credit card, you could be racking up enough miles to get to europe. :)

Carpet wet

Well, got the reactor all hooked up, had the outlet going to bucket to flush. Plugged him in and well the reactor decides it gonna pour water on my floor where the valve and hose connect. GRRRRR. Now my floor is soaking wet behind my tank mixed with the black dust from the GFO too. Least I was able to turn off the valve and slow it down while I unplugged the pump.

Ugg, now what?

Hope my flooring and carpet don't rot.

every reefkeeper should own a shop vac.

I have one LOL. Can't find the hoses though. Wish I could cause I'd use that sucker to do the weekly vacuuming :)

Well, got the reactor fixed. Somehow the connection became loose. Must've have been when trying to get it on the tank, those hoses are not flexible AT ALL. My tank now looks like a conclomerate of hoses and junk.

Am taking the Emperor out of the tank tonite. Do I just throw the poly filter away or do I put it the fluval where the biowheels or carbon is?

I need a new heater. My heater is set at 78 and the temp is 69.5. My temperature fluctuates daily from about 70 to 82.5. I had it set at 79 and then it would go as low as 70. I changed it to 78 because it was up to 83 and now it goes the 69-81 range. That is just too much. It should be steady.

Any recommendations on a heater to get?

Oh and the lights are on right now and the temp is 69.5. Lights have been on about 4 hours so far today.

I like and use the aqueon pro's in most of my tanks. The temp is stable once you dial it in correctly and no broken glass potential. :)

What kind of heater did you buy?

Buffy, get the best heater you can afford because these temperature fluctuations have to go. A couple of degrees is no big deal, especially if it happens slowly. But 10 degrees is lethal.

I like and use the aqueon pro's in most of my tanks. The temp is stable once you dial it in correctly and no broken glass potential. :)

What kind of heater did you buy?

I thought you posted somewhere what you used but I couldn't find it lol.

I have 2 of the Marineland Visi-Therm Submerisble Heaters - 1 Visi-Therm 300 (rated for up to 80 gallons) in my tank and 1 Visi-Therm 150 (rated for up to 40 gallons) that I use for mixing.

Buffy, get the best heater you can afford because these temperature fluctuations have to go. A couple of degrees is no big deal, especially if it happens slowly. But 10 degrees is lethal.

I thought I got a good heater lol, I wasn't born with knowing what the best is LOL, so unfortunately I am learning by losing money. These weren't cheap and so I thought they were pretty decent. I mean the 150 was on sale for 18.39 and to me that's alot of money for a heater that is only rated for 40 gallons.

the visitherm stealths have been known to fail. they were recalled. i heard they would burst open and shock things. i heard of people returning them to the store and got their money refunded or replacements.
i would also use multiple smaller heaters instead of one large one. as greg said above, the large fluctuations will restrict you from ever having a beautiful reef tank.
if you have say, three smaller heaters running, and one fails, your tank water won't suddenly go cold or hot (depending on what the heater does when it fails..some get stuck on) and you'll be able to catch it before your tank goes south. with a single heater, it's all or nothing.

the visitherm stealths have been known to fail. they were recalled. i heard they would burst open and shock things. i heard of people returning them to the store and got their money refunded or replacements.
i would also use multiple smaller heaters instead of one large one. as greg said above, the large fluctuations will restrict you from ever having a beautiful reef tank.
if you have say, three smaller heaters running, and one fails, your tank water won't suddenly go cold or hot (depending on what the heater does when it fails..some get stuck on) and you'll be able to catch it before your tank goes south. with a single heater, it's all or nothing.

You beat me to the punch :), I was just going to ask whether I should get 2 smaller ones instead of 1.

I doubt they'll take mine back, I don't recall where I got them, I thought Drs. F&S.

Anyway, gonna order more than one. So if I order say 3 smaller ones, what watts would I go with? Just divide 75gal/3 and get 3 25gal sized ones?

One other problem, if I get three, I'm gonna need three plugs and I have a power strip (only lights on it, nothing else can go cause of timers) plugged into a powerstrip (7 plug gfci) plugged into an normal (non-gfci) outlet LOL, I'm think the fire marshall may be after me soon.

You don't even wanna know how my electricity is done here. LOL OMG it;s horrible. I have extension cords from different rooms since the circuit on the 125g wall cant handle it all. I have more extension cords going to the 55g since theres no outlet there. And the mh fixture on another circuit made me add yet another extension cord to another circuit based socket. bleh.. i wish i was dating an electrician sometimes....LOL

i guess 3 hundred watters should work.

don't worry...here are a few pics of my wirey mess...
img_1559097_0_9df3174732c82fc3ea39304250c0a507.jpg

img_1559097_1_d41cb11ed6ab540c4d00c5c3d4406f03.jpg

img_1559097_2_ab93124efa09123ccb8e026149f71e51.jpg

welcome to the club!

mr_X said:
i guess 3 hundred watters should work.

don't worry...here are a few pics of my wirey mess...

welcome to the club!

That reminds me,I have an emergency generator,but after seeing your pictures it reminds me I need to get a fire extinguisher to.LOL

Back
Top Bottom