Buffy's 1st Ever SW Build - Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I was taking the pictures only the blue lights were on and the Banghaii's tail was a blue/black combo, it was gorgeous. I wasn't able to catch the blue. Just like my Encrusted horn. It's actually almost a neon green, not the dull green that's shown.

Emerald crab is the big one in the center (thought mine unfortunately is not green), in the back is a hermit, not sure if it is my red legged hermit though.

Nite all, need my chocolate ice cream fix before bed, then alarm in 4 hours ugggg. LOL.

Here we go again

Fish are all doing well. They do know how to swim fast and run for cover. So my rigging worked for my light EXCEPT, one clasp broke and the light crashed down ohhh bout 4 ft from above.

3 working white bulbs
1 broken blue bulb
1 working blue bulb
1 unknown blue bulb status

1 chip (so far) of the plastic that covers the bulbs
1 small chip of egg crate in tank (edging piece)

Glass from broken/shattered bulb in tank - unknown.

Light is setting on tank, timer is now turned off (not that it worked that great anyway).

I will switch the "working lights" on when I come home tomorrow for a couple hours, then off for bed and do the same for Thursday and Friday. I will take the light off the tank and clean up the damages on Saturday, I'm in no mood to deal with it tonite. I would rather leave the particles where they are so I don't get any more inside tank (if any went in) and none on the floor.

Overslept today and was late as it was and now I have that situation to deal with sooooooooooooooo

Til Saturday..no more pics or updates other than........anyone want to suggest bulbs since I need them a tad bit sooner than I expected? Can this fixture be "rigged" for other than the way it is like metal halides or moons or leds or something?

Input always welcome, good or bad. LOL

Least my "telephone" wire didn't break. LMAO :rolleyes:

Any suggestions for bulbs?

Am wondering how purple would do, anyone know how purple would look or what "color" combination would be nice?

Would they still allow the needed light for coral and fish growth?

Buffy said:
Any suggestions for bulbs?

Am wondering how purple would do, anyone know how purple would look or what "color" combination would be nice?

Would they still allow the needed light for coral and fish growth?

Purple gives it a purple hue. Kinda like a backlight.

Just my opinion, but I don't like the purple bulbs at all on my 125g. I really want to change them out to ATI blue pluses. :-( Just another thing on my list of things to do...... In my tank the purple just makes the coralline look too too purple and fake in m y opinion. It seems to be washing out the colors of my corals.

Wow, buffy. Your tank look phenomenal! Its been a while since I've seen your thread.. seems like your set the bar for the new comers to this hobby great job.

Purple gives it a purple hue. Kinda like a backlight.

Thanks, kinda thought that but wasn't sure.

Just my opinion, but I don't like the purple bulbs at all on my 125g. I really want to change them out to ATI blue pluses. :-( Just another thing on my list of things to do...... In my tank the purple just makes the coralline look too too purple and fake in m y opinion. It seems to be washing out the colors of my corals.

Do you have any pictures with the purple in? How many bulb setup do you have and what kinds? I forgot. :)

Wow, buffy. Your tank look phenomenal! Its been a while since I've seen your thread.. seems like your set the bar for the new comers to this hobby great job.

Thanks, it's been a phenomenal effort too lol.

So, my 3 lil fishies are still doing good. Fire fish doesn't hide as much and actually lets me put my face up to the glass and we stare at each other eye to eye LOL.

Seems like the tail on my Banghaii is getting bluer.

And my Cardinal's eyes are definitely red red red.

They seemed to have grown alot since being moved to the dt earlier this week.

I'm concerned about my Colored Favia Brain coral though, he seems as though his outer color is getting lighter. Is that bleaching? He was getting like that just a little when I had him down on the sand, so I moved him to the middle and he still is getting a little lighter.

I finally have a few days off and this weekend gets a pwc. I'll be testing parameters before and a few hours after pwc.

get some sleep. its not good for a body to run on empty.

Unfortunately I got some sleep and ended up not hearing my alarm so was late for work........which led to being "under investigation" now. Jeez just because I overslept and didn't call in by my start time. Grr. Man are these people getting on my last nerve.

Thanks for the link, I hope you don't mind but I forwarded to the guy that's building my cabinet so he can see what I'm trying to do instead of me trying to explain.

Hey Buffy. I have a 12 bulb fixture with 2 purple plus, 4 blue plus and 6 aquablue specials. I recently moved the purple bulbs from the front of the fixture to the back so it's not as purple. Here are some shots of the lights on, hope they help.

img_1640050_0_3e221c8ad2b35e28a32b5ddb396e5f98.jpg

img_1640050_1_c85d9610c8352593ab38c1e82509a5c3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom