Buffy's 1st Ever SW Build - Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you Buffy .., nice to see who you're talking to.

You're welcome.

Am still trying to figure out how to get the 4 points of my light to 1 point. I've black chain right now going between the 4 points but the light is heavy on one side (plugs), so when I pull it up, the left side tilts way down due to weight. If I shift the chain then the point that goes up is not centered. UGGG.

I've decided that after my last trip in the crawl space, I wasn't going to do that again and so am trying to get this light balanced to the one point in the ceiling.

Ideas?

Buffy said:
You're welcome.

Am still trying to figure out how to get the 4 points of my light to 1 point. I've black chain right now going between the 4 points but the light is heavy on one side (plugs), so when I pull it up, the left side tilts way down due to weight. If I shift the chain then the point that goes up is not centered. UGGG.

I've decided that after my last trip in the crawl space, I wasn't going to do that again and so am trying to get this light balanced to the one point in the ceiling.

Ideas?

You can use what is called a spreader bar. They are used by cranes when having to pick up an uneven load from multiple points. Simply a bar between two of the cables that can be shifted to accomidate the uneven balance.

Do the chains have to come to one pt? Its comolicated to explain but by using a third set of chains(shorter than the other two sets) it can be easily done. On the heavy end have the reg length as well as ther shrtened length going to the center pt. the regular length attaches a little higher and ther shorter length attaches at the center point(where the light side meets the load cable) this keeps the load cable straight while also pulling extra for the added weight. Its a little confusing to read, but ill try to make a diagram when i get acces to a comp later today

You can use what is called a spreader bar. They are used by cranes when having to pick up an uneven load from multiple points. Simply a bar between two of the cables that can be shifted to accomidate the uneven balance.

I've thought about that also. Thanks. Not sure I want to do that though but is an option

Or a ballast, to even it out.

Let me get my dictionary :)

Do the chains have to come to one pt? Its comolicated to explain but by using a third set of chains(shorter than the other two sets) it can be easily done. On the heavy end have the reg length as well as ther shrtened length going to the center pt. the regular length attaches a little higher and ther shorter length attaches at the center point(where the light side meets the load cable) this keeps the load cable straight while also pulling extra for the added weight. Its a little confusing to read, but ill try to make a diagram when i get acces to a comp later today

Well I bought more stuff, I swear this thing is not gonna beat me even if I have to spend 40 times what it would have cost buying something online....but most of those you have to have 2 connections up at the ceiling.

I kinda understand but when the heavy end is level with the short (regular) end wouldn't it look like off centered from the part that comes from the ceiling to meet the light?

It would be great if you could draw a pic and email it to me. I think my email is in my profile but if not, it's ....... mehuman2@gmail.com

I also bought rope and was thinking of tieing it to the 4 eyelets on the fixture and working it up to the pulleys LOL, who knows maybe a fancy knot or too would look cute.

Below I hope gives you an idea of my plan, using chain, wire, whatever, now am wondering if just using rope would be easier cause then I don't have to worry about all these ferrals, thimbles and crap coming loose.

I also have 2 turnbuckles I can use once the left side and the ride side are done so I can "tweak" height if needed.

J - hook
? - pulley
@-rope attached to pulley
.rope from pulley going down
.down
.down
.down to next pulley
? - pulley
.....then rope around this pulley and back up to the first pulley (for a tad bit of mechanical advantage/leverage) then the rope from the pulley at the hook over to the wall through another pulley and down to my hook on the wall. In between the pulley on the wall and the hook on the wall would be 2 handles, both handles able to "latch" on to the hook, one set for normal height for maintenance and the one higher up gets pulled down and latched to hook so the light raises with that one for maintenance.

Make sense???

Dang.... I'm kinda dreading the sump/fuge/algae scrubber now. But gotta get this done and get my tank back together cause I'm having a battle with GHA now. Got my phosban hooked back up sitting on the floor but the pump that I bought stinks, I can't get but a little flow and that's with the valve wide open. I used this thing for about 1 week when I first got it and I could not get the GFO to tumble except for the first day, so I stored it. I should have sent the thing back but oh well, hopefully it's gonna stay going til I can get my 75 back together.

Thanks for ya'lls input.

Nite ya'll.

Sorry i didnt get that drawn up, i even had 15 mins of free time today, i used it to nap though, good news though its the weekend! Well at least here it is, so hopefully ill get some time tomorrow.

Sorry i didnt get that drawn up, i even had 15 mins of free time today, i used it to nap though, good news though its the weekend! Well at least here it is, so hopefully ill get some time tomorrow.

Take your times, thanks for taking my nap LOL. I work this weekend so I won't be doing anything and then I switch over to nites so Monday is my only day off and I plan on getting it done then.

Looks like my phosphate reactor is still working, and it looks like some of the HGA is disappearing too.

Am expecting my order hopefully Monday, so I will be able to switch out bulbs at the same time.

Are the prices on the different filter bags a per bag price? Seems like that they are like that at the various online stores.

Tank Background?

Which should I do?

Black Background from store put on with adhesive
or
Black Paint?

Blue Background from store put on with adhesive
or
Blue Paint?

I agree black paint is the way to go. Just make sure there are no hairs that might go near it. I have a dog and I was careful about where her hair was and it still somehow is embedded into the background.

I vote Black. :)

I assume you vote paint also lol.

Black paint.... And a beer

"A beer" - only one? :-(

I agree black paint is the way to go. Just make sure there are no hairs that might go near it. I have a dog and I was careful about where her hair was and it still somehow is embedded into the background.

I didn't think of that lol and that is gonna be near impossible with my Golden.

Can someone tell me what paint to get since there are so many kinds? And how long will it take to dry?

I use regular latex paint and do 3 coats letting it dry overnight each time pretty much. On the 90g i just did, I used a clear primer from martha stewart collection and had no issues with the paint peeling off which can happen when you tape the back off. I also only did 1 or maybe 2 coats when using the primer and it came out pretty good if i dont say so myself! LOL

automotive paint. i think i used duplicolor spray paint and gave it a full 24 hour dry time. flat or semi-gloss spray paint looks glossy through glass.

a lot of different options just have to choose what your comfortable with.

Don't use a primer because there isn't really a use for it. Primer absorbs into the object. It's not going to do that with glass.

Thanks everyone, I know I won't be spray painting, it's too cold in the garage and I really don't want to get the particulates on everything.

Whew, I can have more than one beer, lol.

I won't be priming though, I'll just be painting it. I do want it to be shining though, almost mirror like if I can find that kind.

Bailey says Hi to Speedy. Ruff

I have for delivery everyday when I got home so far even though I know 1. They just shipped, 2. No Saturday deliveries, and 3. Anticipated delivery date isn't until the 10th (tomorrow), and I am pretty sure I will look over at my front door as I pull in the garage tonite even though it's Sunday and won't be a delivery LOL.

Looks like the phosphate reactor is still going. I still see it churning like it's supposed to. GHA is still noticeably deminishing also so far.

I hope I don't cut my self anytime soon, cause I really want to transfer everything back to the 75. On my day off tomorrow, I'm finishing hanging the lights, cleaning up the 75 gal, painting it and am hoping to get all my corals glued to disks if my stuff gets delivered.

Gonna be a pain to clean and paint that tank in the bathroom. Theres room to get by it if you have it against the counter or tub but not enough to move it to walk around it. I'm gonna have to lay down on the floor to paint it. I hope I don't fall asleep and wake up with a paint brush stuck to my face.

Back
Top Bottom