Buffy's 1st Ever SW Build - Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would put them in line like mentioned above, and put the bubble trap before the return. You don't need slow flow through the refugium, and I don't see the point to the extra plumbing.
You only have to worry about bubbles getting to the display. It doesn't matter if bubbles hit the refugium.
As for the foam on the mag drive- remove it.

Did you figure out how much refugium area you have?

Sump/Refugium

Foam on mag drive is removed.

I have it set up so that the return is on left then baffle for bubbles then protein skimmer then baffle for a wall then refugium then baffle for another wall then sock filter. Unless the sock filter can just flow into the refugium? If not then refugium is about 9 x 12.

Tank End Glass|Return Pump | Skimmer|Refugium| Sock |Glass Tank End

I had no pods make it into my DT with the silencer on my mag. I removed it and started seeing some until I lost siphon when my aqualifter died. Hasn't been up and running since.

How is the foam being removed working for you? I might do the same, im not getting many pods in my dt.

Don't know yet, the sump is in the middle of the living room floor with no water or piping lol :) :ROFLMAO:

For now I pour pods in my DT tank every week. I need to order more, I have enough for 2 weeks worth.

Lol whoops, I knew that. I'm going to remove it I think, I just dont feel like messing with the ball valve to get it circulating regularly again.

I know what you mean. I was gonna post a pic last night but my phone fell on the floor at some point and next I knew there's my alarm going LOL.

So here's what I have. Nothing is set in stone (uhm silicone) yet. I'm thinking if I angle the baffles that will give me more room since I can't turn the skimmer completely, at least some of that space is not "waasted".

So right now I am just shifting things around and back and forth and stuff.

Put the skimmer before the refugium. Intake with filter sock and skimmer/refugium///return

Why do I want to put skimmed water in a refugium? Wouldn't the "dirty" water make good home for pods and stuff? Wouldn't the skimmer clean it up (refugium) too much? IDK, just wondering the reasons for what goes where. I still have the other post from a while ago, and a pm to reread.

I try to put the sock in with the skimmer and I wish the plastic that holds the sock wasn't so oversized for the 4". I'm thinking I may cut that holder some.

I think he is having skimmer first to put clean water into refugium then the pods go out the opposite side through the return, so we end up with clean refugium water with healthy pods and macro algae.

Did I get it right Huh? Huh? Did I? LOL

Put the skimmer before the refugium. Intake with filter sock and skimmer/refugium///return

So am I understanding this right. In one compartment is the skimmer and the filter sock and the intake? So the intake flows directly into the sock right?

For the baffles between refugium and return.....the one in the middle will be the one raised off the bottom of the glass....correct?

PVC and me, it's my story and I'm sticking to it :)

This is a little long and it's got to do with my sump sorta. Enjoy.

Today I decided I was going to get some of the PVC that I need for my sump and I was gonna ride my bike so I can get my riding in at the same time. So off to the store I went, 1/2 way there started raining and wind picked up a tad. Get to the store, I was drenched, covered with rock and sand, big dorky smile on my face while my head be bopping to my mp3 player which made me have the complete dork look down pat.... but hey got a few smiles out of people and I was in a dang good mood, drenched but happy :). So while riding I figured it would be a could idea not to get any long PVC, just the valves and elbows and such because I don't think the cars would appreciate me trying to cycle down the roads with a 10' piece of PVC pipe, so I bought a little flag and stuck it on my rackpack instead GO USA. Stuffed my rackpack full of pvc and 1 little thing of peanut butter oh and I stuffed my face with a little energy before I got back on my bike (ice cream hehehe), people looked at me as I rode off into the sunset (well ok, dark raining clouds) and made the ride back home, up and down hills and through the woods to granny's (my) house. Yes I did go up and down hills and on a path through some woods lol. Needless to say the pvc made it, I made it however drenched again as it was still raining.

Bad day turned out to be a good fun day with my bestest friends in the whole wide world........me, myself, I, my bike and my bike packs, wish I could have fit my golden retriever in the trailer, he'd come with me too (my poor legs LOL).

Round trip was 26.71 miles LOL, (1/2 of what I did last Saturday of 52.5 miles).

Anyway, I have 8 elbows, 2 check valves 2 ball valves, 1 T, some pvc primer and cement (no ice cream though).

I was gonna do 2 return lines, since the pumps discharge is 1/2 inch, I thought I could do 2 of them and 1 inlet which is 1". Does that make sense and if it does, will it work?

P.S. Another 26.71 mile trip coming up tomorrow as I have some extra pieces to return. So if I have to get other stuff now's a good time to let me know LOL. (It has to fit in my rackpack or my backpack though.)

nite ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ:dance::dance::dance::dance:

Off to return some parts and buy a few parts, am hoping sump/fuge to be done this weekend. Son-In-Law going to cut 2 more pieces plexiglass for me then I need to file them and should be ready to glue.

Anyone got an idea how to hang filter sock without a mount. Rubberbands or something?

Thanks for following ya'll.

Supposed to be high 95 and no rain today, gonna be hot ride :). Got 3 bottles water for trip there.

One of the pumps that came with the wavemaker died. Gonna contact them and see if I can exchange it.

Water change today, everyone is doing good. Can't wait to get this sump done, maybe the cloudiness will go away.

Buffy said:
One of the pumps that came with the wavemaker died. Gonna contact them and see if I can exchange it.

Water change today, everyone is doing good. Can't wait to get this sump done, maybe the cloudiness will go away.

Sorry about the pump, I am glad all the creatures are doing well though! I forgot, do you still have your mandarin?

Once you have a filter sock, everything will clear up. I still need one.. Also add some chemipure or purigen to the tank, it will make everything look really clear.

Back
Top Bottom